Forum Description: everything about Allis-Chalmers farm equipment
URL: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=145222
Printed Date: 09 May 2024 at 5:36pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Passing of the Punkin' Popple
Posted By: littlemarv
Subject: Passing of the Punkin' Popple
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:44pm
Here is the inspiration for the title....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMbHvW3OiXs" rel="nofollow -

So, we started looking into it. Talked to a few log haulers, and called a few local mills. Wow, did we get an array of answers. How long to cut it, what qualifies for bolts versus pulpwood, trucking costs, the numbers are all over the place. But, if we can get a load or two out, we should make a few dollars.

So we worked out a master plan, big brother can cut them down and cut them to length, and I would devise a way to get the logs out. Make a nice pile right in the yard, so a truck can come and get them any time we are ready. That means hauling them 1/4 mile out of the woods, then almost 1/2 mile up the road, out in the open, in the dead of winter. Sounds kind of chilly.

Oh well, enough talk. Time to fire up the littlemarv R&D department again!

I built a farm crane for the WD a few years ago. One of the handiest attachments I have ever used. I looked it up in the WD attachment manual, the farm crane is rated to lift 1400 pounds. Surely it should handle any 8 foot popple log.

Got out the old firewood wagon. The floor and sides are made of 2X8's. As we filled it, three boards went up on each side. Made for a pretty good load. But, it will need some modifications for logging. Took all the boards off, and took the the pipes and brackets off one side.

Still has the tag on it. I guess its called a "rocker wagon?" Because the front part actually pivots a small amount. Anyone have any ideas there?

The two cross beams are 7' apart. Perfect for hauling 8'6" logs.

We had two choices for making firewood. When we needed to get in a tight spot, we took the trailer. When we were in a more open area, we used the wagon, which hauls more. If I'm going to be driving up the road in the dead of winter out in the open, you can be darn sure I am going to get as much wood per load as possible, So, I fabricated a drawbar for the back of the wagon, so I can hitch the trailer on behind.

Built a swivel to put on the end of the crane. That way I can spin the logs to be in line with the tractor so we can get them out of the woods. Its made from a thrust bearing off a kingpin on a heavy truck steer axle.

Made a toolbox for the side of the tractor. Lord knows you need accessories when you go out in the woods, so this will be a handy spot for the cant hook, straps, chains, etc.

You can see I also added some brackets for putting some weight up front, just in case.

At any rate, big brother went up and dropped three trees, for kind of a trial run. Wound up with 21 sticks. So junior and I went up to check the situation over.

Also found a pretty sizeable rock. Guess we will be going around this one....

So here we are, outside,  on December 4th, at 9PM, in our t-shirts, painting. Sheesh.

And, in less than twelve hours, a 30 degree temp swing, and 30+ MPH winds. Plus a little snow.

Hooked up my land train and headed out to the woods. Dropped the trailer at the clearing. I use a couple of jackstands to hold up the trailer to ease hooking it back up.

Toolbox? More like the "everything but the kitchen sink" box.

I cannot believe how well this works. Dropped the wagon in a spot where I can turn around and back up to it, and went to the first tree, probably 50 yards away.

Backed up to two smaller logs, lift them up, then chain the front to hold them in place...

And deposit them neatly on the wagon.

Repeat. Sure works slick.

You can pick a log up from any angle,

And swing it right into position.

When you get to the wagon, spin it back and set it down.  Pin the pipes back on, and make a pretty nice load.

Next comes the trailer. Its a little handier, cause you can take it closer to the logs.

I often wondered why Pa always used the B and never got a bigger tractor. The B is 5' wide. The WD is 6'. Boy, what a difference one foot makes in the woods. Snuck her through some pretty tight spots, that for sure.

So, out to the clearing, to hook this wagon train back up.

The unloading process needs a little refinement. I thought we could use some ramps to gently roll the logs onto the pile.

Yeah right. The ramps kept slipping out and the logs just fell on the ground. The end result is the same, I guess. To unload the trailer, I just backed it up to the pile and pulled them off by hand with a chain. Won't be doing that again, Pa has a swell Gator for just such an activity.

The most dangerous part? Climbing on and off that slippery tractor 97 times.
The hardest part? Backing the damn wagon up to the trailer to hook it back up.
The coldest part? The 1/2 mile run up the road across the open. May think about using the truck to haul the loads home.

So, there you have it. I told the saw man to crack the throttle on the saw and start laying some trees down, we will give er hell until it gets too cold or the snow gets too deep, whichever comes first.  Going to wait to put the chains on until its absolutely necessary. We will be learning and improving our strategies as we go, but it sure looks doable. Big brother loves to work with the chainsaw, I love to work with the tractor, and Pa loves to stay in the house and watch football and cook us supper, so its a win all around!

Thanks for looking!

-------------
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H

Replies:
Posted By: DakotaSteve
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:01pm
Very great read and thanks for posting! Great ideas too.

Posted By: chaskaduo
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:38pm
I'll help Pa.

-------------
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp

Posted By: shameless dude
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:47am
great pics and story!! good looking tractor too! as said above, i'll help yer Pa, i'm a good cook!

Posted By: theropod
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 5:12am
Very nice.

There are rocks on our spread that make yours look like gravel. Seriously.

-------------
Put the bunny back in the box!
1938 B, 1977 Yanmar YM2200

No private messages:
use email:
theropod AT yahoo DOT com

Posted By: mdm1
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 5:56am

If your rocks are like mine that's just the top of it. I thought you were going to pull out the logs not lift them. I like the crane. Pretty neat. I know I would somehow rip the tool box off. Good family project.

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: B26240
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 6:32am
Up here in MN years ago we used home made jammer winch run off PTO to drag logs up to about 50 feet to the back of the tractor and then rehooked the tongs to the center of the log and lifted it onto the trailer or sled.   The boom on the back of the tractor could swing to both sides and had a little ramp affair at the pivot point so when log was liffted off the ground it would self center.   We would use a two wheel trailer made from truck front axle up side down, also trailer needs to have trip stakes on one side for unloading. Yhr one I had was on a JD B.  A very comon set up was a Farmall F 12 with steel wheels and with that a guy could work till the snow got about two feet deep.   I still have the tongs that I used, they were smilar to Ice tongs but heavier made.  I have a picture of this setup somewhere I could try to e-mail you if you are interested, winch was made from a car rear end  shortened with cable drum mouted on it the whole thing was about two feet wide.  It used a brake master cylinder on the brake side to force the power to the drum side and you could with practice get good enough to hold a log in mid air.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 6:45am
Marv If I could add to my above post, before the development of the  hydraulic log loader many of these jammer winches were mounted on trucks behind the cab for loading trucks.  these trucks were usually either a Ford or Chevy single axle with a bed about 14 feet long.  Also in the 60's many were mounted on small crawler tractors most I remember being JD MC's or 1010's and 440's.   They worked best with two men, one to pull the tongs and hel swing the log straight on the trailer.  My Dad helped me lots and one day I almost hurt him bad when a log I was draging to the trailer cot on a stump and swng end for end knoking him to the ground as he was walking along side.

Posted By: corbinstein
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 7:25am
The "tongs" you used are actually "Log Dogs" that's what we called them.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 8:59am
It took me over 2 hours to make that load. If I had someone to run the chains, we could probably do a load an hour. That climbing on an off the tractor really sucks up the time.

Pa suggested this project a few years ago. There was a WD45 on Craigslist with ARPs tracks, a roll cage, and a log jammer on the back. I thought about going and looking at it, but the project kind of fizzled out cause everyone was pretty busy. I think someone on here may have snagged that tractor.

I have seen PTO winches made from rear axles, you hold the brake on one wheel to make the other one spin, release it to let it go. Sounds like an excellent way to lose an arm.

My brother wanted to cut the trees, then skid them whole out to the field to cut them up. That's hard on the tractor, hard on the ground, and hard on the wood. Once there is good snow, I'm sure it's not a problem. But, this method works pretty slick, without the dangers of skidding. So, we will see how it goes.

-------------

Posted By: JohnCO
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 1:27pm
Back in the late 70's we had a logging show (operation) in the mountains west of me.  Used a Frankin skidder and a Farmall H with a old Farmhand loader to load the truck.  we also had a reversed Ford 8N with a loader but it didn't go high enough to get a good load on the truck. We finally bought a Bobcat 825 skid steer with a log grapple , made life a lot easier and safer.

-------------
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant

Posted By: tadams(OH)
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:34pm
All you need is a heat houser for the tractor and the ride wouldn't be so cols.

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 4:26pm
When I was on the Fire Dept. about 30 years ago we got a call of man pinned under tractor, it was a WD45 he was useing to skid firewood. He was pulling from the lift arms and not the draw bar and tractor flipted over backwards and pinned him mostly by the steering wheel. When we got there he was still moaning some but did not appear  to be breathing.  By the time we got tractor off him attemps to revive him failed.   Be careful.  As for the comment about losing a arm with the jammer winch I never heard of that happening but in those days there were many men injured and killed logging. 

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 5:13pm
That brings back memories of a post of my son and I pulling a stump. Better out come as I still have my only son to talk to about it. Please be careful!!

-------------
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 9:34am
Some day, (if I live long enough) I'm going to build one of those WD cranes. Don't particularly need one, just think they are cool.

Posted By: Ted J
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Some day, (if I live long enough) I'm going to build one of those WD cranes. Don't particularly need one, just think they are cool.
Well when you build one, build 2,,,,or 3,,,,,,or 4 or,,,,,,,,,,,,HOW may guys want one besides me??

Originally posted by B26240 B26240 wrote:

When I was on the Fire Dept. about 30 years ago we got a call of man pinned under tractor, it was a WD45 he was useing to skid firewood. He was pulling from the lift arms and not the draw bar and tractor flipted over backwards and pinned him mostly by the steering wheel. When we got there he was still moaning some but did not appear  to be breathing.  By the time we got tractor off him attemps to revive him failed.   Be careful.  As for the comment about losing a arm with the jammer winch I never heard of that happening but in those days there were many men injured and killed logging. 
When my Uncle did that about 60 years ago, he got his pelvis in the way and crushed it.  He was pulling UP HILL and using the rock arm and she flipped.  A GOOD story about it afterwards, but ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  BE CAREFUL when PULLING!!  Use the drawbar and connect as LOW AS YOU CAN!!!

-------------
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 7:29pm
We have a clevis with a grab hook that goes on the drawbar, can't pull any lower than that. We just chain up as tight as possible, that way, when the tractor moves forward, the log actually lifts a little.

The first thing I did with that farm crane was try and ease a tree out of the brush and into the field so we could cut it up. The front end went up in the air so fast I couldn't believe it. I said "Please Jesus, don't let this be the last thing I do." I know he heard me cause I was pretty much looking straight up at him. I thought for sure something broke when that front end crashed back to earth. Lesson learned.

I thought about a heat houser, but for a WD they are rear entry. I need a side entry with the crane on the back.

-------------

Posted By: DiyDave
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 8:15pm
This thread needs a little russian ingenuity...

[TUBE]3vH09lYB-B0[/TUBE]

Posted By: IBWD MIke
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

[QUOTE=IBWD MIke]Some day, (if I live long enough) I'm going to build one of those WD cranes. Don't particularly need one, just think they are cool.
Well when you build one, build 2,,,,or 3,,,,,,or 4 or,,,,,,,,,,,,HOW may guys want one besides me??

Well, that might be a possibility. I'm sure the first one will be the hardest. Copies would be a piece of cake.

Seems to me there are some plans around here for these things if I can find them.

Edit; Ted, I make it to Wisconsin once in awhile. Might even be able to deliver.

Posted By: JayIN
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 7:49am
Littlemarv- please bundle up some excess energy and send it this way.......

-------------
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"

Posted By: Sugarmaker
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 10:58am
Marv,
Good thread! Be safe out there in the woods.
Great pictures as usual!
Regards,
Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 12:48pm
I have to admit I finally watched the video. People must have been pretty tough back then. Hope the chain never breaks on that saw. Saw that happen once.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 9:22pm
Due to the shortage of usable daylight, I broke down and bought a pair of 4" square LED lights. Hooked them up to a garden tractor battery and used them for a few hours the other night, should be good to go there.  The battery just happens to just fit in the toolbox. I don't have the time to convert the WD to 12 volt right now.

So, today Junior and I (and the dog) headed up to Grandpa Marvins for a few hours.

Got the chains on.

I went up to the end of the woods and fished out a trailer load of sticks. Uncle Eric showed up, and he and Carter got to work on laying down the next batch. With Carter running one end of the tape measure and clearing brush, they can really lay down the lumber!

Goes pretty fast when you are on the edge of the woods and drop them into the open. I have to give big brother credit, he is excellent with the saw. I will stick to tractoring.

Got the trailer load home. Carter jumped on the Gator, and we were unloaded in like 10 minutes.

They slide right off onto the pile pretty slick. We will have to improvise once the pile gets higher.

By the time this whole endeavor is finished, we will have it down to a science.

After driving up and down the road once with the chains on, hauling loads with the truck is sounding better and better.

Well, after 6 hours in the woods, lets check on the dog.

And the boy?

The only problem is, we left the woods and hammered home so we could just get to his Christmas concert in time. Probably not the best of planning by his Father. Oh well, thank God he didn't have a solo.

More to come.....

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 9:36pm
I used to use an old propane tank hauler trailer. hooked chains around a pile of logs and raised them up with a winch, could back the trailer in where ever needed. I still have the trailer, might sell it!

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 12:43pm
NICE!!!  A good days work and it sure wears em out.  LOL

-------------
"Allis-Express"

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:39pm

Have a little vacation to use up by the end of the year, so took today off. Got four loads.

Grandpa Marvin even got in on the action and helped me unload.

-------------

Posted By: drobCA
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:58pm
dang, what gorgeous pictures!  thanks!

-------------
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 9:02pm
Well, the logging operation got suspended due to Christmas, New Years, and extreme cold.

Today I managed to get a couple hours to myself, and it warmed up to like 8 degrees! Time to get back to work. We had dropped a bunch and skidded them out to the field before Christmas break.  I threw the battery charger on the WD when I got up to dads, and took the Gator up to check them out. Swept all the snow off them, knocked them loose with a sledgehammer.

The WD fired right up in the cold, but snubbed off when I let the clutch out. Fired it back up, held the clutch down for a minute, and let the clutch out real slow, must have been the hydraulic pump that was dragging it down. Worked the lift arms a few cycles, everything works O.K. Wasn't sure if it would, its been below zero for the last two weeks.

Just took the wagon up today, it was late afternoon by the time I got up there.

Pretty easy to get a nice load when you are working with the big end of the tree!

I have been struggling with unloading the wagon and the trailer. When we originally started this project, we were going to make the pile in an open field near the road, where we would have plenty of room to turn around, and get at both sides of the pile. Then Pa piped up and said the pile had to go behind the old barn foundation, next to the trail, near his firewood pile.  I screeched a little bit, but, his land, his rules, I guess.

SO, I have been:

pulling the logs off by hand (back breaking, finger smashing, sweaty process)

using the gator to pull them off (only works on one end of the pile)

Using the gator and a snatch block and cable to pull the logs off using the WD as an anchor (time consuming pain in the ass that didn't work that well and conveniently didn't get pictures of)

The very first load, I used ramps, but they kept falling off. I have been thinking on this unloading process for awhile, and decided to get back to basics. Simpler is better, remember.

Put some eye bolts in my ramps, and ratchet strapped them tight to the wheels.

I think I may be on to something here. I unloaded the wagon by myself with no sweating or swearing! Now this is progress!

Once the pile gets higher, I may actually have to roll or push the logs up the ramps, but they aren't the worst to work with.

So, the pile of bolts is on the left, and the pulpwood goes on the right. We shall see how the piles progress.

Even got to take in a beautiful late afternoon sky on a cold day.

Pondered the wonders of nature a minute, then walked in the nice warm house, where Grandpa Marvin had pork chops, potatoes, and corn ready and waiting.

A good afternoon indeed.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 9:31pm
loved it all... except "Once the pile gets higher, I may actually have to roll or push the logs up the ramps."
even without the cold and slippery that sounds dangerous.
I vote for limiting the height to level and letting the pile spread horizontally.
or starting a second pile.
or whatever else you come up with that keeps gravity as your friend not your enemy.

looking forward to the next episode.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 10:06pm
I vote putting a loader on the tractor with forks! great pics and story, keep it coming!

Posted By: LeonR2013
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 8:43am
If you are concerned about how much weight you're putting on the trailer there is a small book published that will tell you how many board feet you have in your log then multiply      the board feet times 8 lbs. That will get you real close on the weight.

Posted By: Allis dave
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 7:17am
Always fun to read your posts. Looks like good/hard work.

Posted By: JimIA
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 4:53pm
Great post!

Like that New Idea running gear.  Always liked they way they look.

Jim

-------------
An open eye is much more observant than an open mouth

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:32pm

Cleaned up the rest of the field on Saturday afternoon, as we are expecting some freezing rain and snow. Got started around 2 P.M. Took one load home, stopped for supper, then out for some nighttime work!

Wish I had something more exciting to report, but here is the monotonous part, load after load. Slowly but surely.

Those 4" square LED's sure do light up the night. The garden tractor battery kept them burning brightly for over 4 hours.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 9:02pm
Well, we did get the snow and rain today. Nice wet packy stuff. So, we found one more use for those LEDs.

The kids have their own brick makers. I repurposed the recycling bin to make a Pa sized brick maker.

Kids are pretty industrious when they want to be.

-------------

Posted By: sadmyentist
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 9:22am
I really love the giant plywood toolbox. I believe I'll be stealing that idea! :-)

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:37am
How come you don't have a set of those lights on the front end?  Where'd you get them?

We got over an inch of rain down here and a smattering of snow.  Made for some HEAVY slush to shovel.Cry..Glad we got it though, every little bit helps!  Too bad the ground was so frozen though, all the rain just ran off. Angry

What'd you get up there, about 10"?

-------------
"Allis-Express"

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 11:56am
I'm glad I painted the toolbox, cause I don't think I'll ever take it off! Just a note, there are large brackets under it, it's not just bolted to the frame.

The lights I got from work, $50 a piece but worth every penny. I bolted them to old CB antenna magnets, so they go wherever I need light. I just had them on the back this time. When going through the woods I put one up.front and one out back. But working out in the open, the old 6 volts up front were enough. We only got about 6" of snow, but lots of rain yesterday.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 11:39pm
Junior has been feeling a little left out. But when I am loading logs with the crane onto the wagon and trailer, he just can't be around. One slip of the chain, one blown hydraulic hose, one slip off the clutch pedal, all spell disaster.  But he sure likes to help, and its good for him to be outside and active in the fresh air. If only there was some way he could help, and up production at the same time.............  

Hmmmm. I've always wanted a log arch....

Oh great, here we go again! 

Someone at work replaced the front hubs on his pickup recently, and lucky for me, he never throws anything out either.  Talked to the scrap man at work, and after a quick dip in the steel dumpster, came out with all the steel I need for construction. Got some 4" square tubing, and some frame rail.

Got two rims and tires pretty cheap from the junkyard.

The reason I bolted the rims on backwards is for clearance on the legs. But even with them bolted on backwards, there still isn't much material sticking out to work with.

Anyways, now I can finish my calculations, now that I have the tire height.

So here is my master plan.  Note: it is not to scale, the geometry is sketchy at best, and half the measurements got changed on the fly...

Four cuts of 22 1/2 degrees should get around a 90 degree corner, and make some 45 degree angles for strength as well. Made a pattern and laid out all the cuts.

Took the steel to a machine shop to have it cut. Laid it all out, looks like my angles are good.

Added a little material to the pieces of framerail to get it out past the tires.

Laid the arch out on the floor, tacked it all the way around, and welded it tight. Turned out pretty good.

Before I welded the hitch together, I tacked a couple of 3/8" bolts into place for mounting the winch.

Fabricated a tongue.

Laid out the hitch and welded it up.

Picked up a boat winch, I had the cable and hooks and a snatchblock already. So today we went and tried it out. We don't have any popple logs laying at this exact moment, but lucky for us, Grandpa Marvin has a load of oak logs sitting in his yard.

Rolled a couple out to where we can get at them.

Works pretty slick. This arch has room for about 6' from the back to the hitch, so it should handle 12' logs.

Off he goes.

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7EdaXykEyw" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7EdaXykEyw

Put things back where you found them!

So, I am very pleased with how the arch turned out. Its not quite done yet, I have a few ideas to try out now that I know it works. And I need to weld on some grab hooks and some loops for attaching hooks and chains and we should be in business. Already thinking cheap electric winch too.

Fired up the WD, broke a trail down to the corner of the field, where we will be cutting next.

The rearview mirror looked like this

And, of course, we had to switch spots.

We have had it pretty good weather wise lately. Supposed to fall back into the single digits this week, we will see what February brings.

Thanks for looking!

-------------

Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 12:58am
Is popple poplar? Is it a mix? Some of the logs look like Quaking Aspen just curious.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 6:09am
Marv looks like the BIG snow missed you,  LOVE your videos.  Jr will remember this time spent with you for the rest of his life.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:55am
very, very nice.

I got the middle one below at Harbor Freight for my flatbed, but instead installed it temporarily in my small workshop as an overhead lift.
works excellent holding 8N hood up and out of the way, but would it handle your heavier loads???
the wireless remote is very handy... and safer in case of a broken line whip back.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:34am
Junior has a hard time cranking the winch because its almost above his head. I suppose I would too. A guy at work wants to sell me that exact winch, he got it and never uses it. If I would mount the winch right on the back, run the cable down to the snatch block, and straight back up to a loop under the arch, I should be able to lift pretty much anything that fits under the arch. And the remote is a big plus. It doesn't look like it, but there is a lot of force involved with dead lifting logs like this. Those two oak logs gotta go 500 pounds, so a whole pile of popple should be no problem.

In the video I realize we forgot to chain up the front of the logs.  I need to add some grab hooks for chains and add them front and rear, so the logs aren't hanging from the winch during transport.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 11:13am
the electric motor helps with a nice safe lowering as well as raising.
btw mine came with a guide for the cable in case you don't want to go directly down with it.  I'm not using it... just informing.

either way, a pretty good assist for your superkid there, and should make it go easier and faster.

and like everyone else, I thank you for sharing the experience(s).

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 11:49am
Walker: Popple is popple, I guess. Maybe its just spelled different depending on where you are?

Its like a weed around here, pretty much everywhere. If you want it to be, its like a crop, like anything else, needs to be harvested once in a while.

Back in 1895, a dapper young man by the name of Bruno Sommer bought 80 acres of popple trees from the railroad, cleared half of it, and built the Sommer family farm.

The stuff grows, fast, gets rot, and falls over. May as well clean up the mess and have some fun doing it!

"Wood ain't no good in the woods!"

I wouldn't know what a quaking aspen was if I saw it, unless it was actually quaking.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 4:22pm
Marv, we got Tulip Poplar here that sounds about the closest to it. Quaking Aspen is a really soft type used to make paper. Light colored bark and leaves that shimmer in the sunlight with the wind, I guess that's where the Quaking comes from.

Posted By: sadmyentist
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 4:48pm
Marv, "popple" here in WI is poplar, a close cousin of cottonwood.

Posted By: polarbear
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 6:47pm
got two of those new idea wagon gears my dad bought new they called that design a rocking bolstom i think they are #5 or #7

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:09pm
Sure enough, I googled "New Idea #7 running gear" and that's exactly what it is!

Dad said that wagon was there on the farm when he got there, circa 1945. Wonder how long those wagons were made?

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:25pm
I suppose I should correct myself. Seems to me I heard Quaking Aspen is used to make OSB board. A long time ago I used to haul it to a paper mill, that's why paper sticks in my mind, but I don't know what it went into from there. Takes a higher HP saw to cut it because the fibers will close back into the cut and drag on the chain even when its sharp.

Posted By: brkfldj
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:16pm
I don't know my trees so I googled popple trees and learned that popples are the same as quaking aspen.

Jim

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:46pm
They also call Quaking Aspen pulp or pulp wood trees here but I've never heard em called popple. If you promise to take them all you can have mine. I cut them and let them rot, they have a tendency to get just big enough to be a pita then snap off and mess up the woods. To find one more that 12 inches in diameter and still standing is the exception rather than the rule.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:59pm
And to sweeten up the deal I will throw in all the Multiflora Rose but ya gotta take em all.

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:26pm
I started out thinking we should make a little money doing this.

Any straight, solid log 8" in diameter and larger qualifies as a "bolt".  They make them into boards or posts, I guess.
Bolts get around $135/cord.

The rest is pulpwood that goes to the paper mill, at around $80/cord.

The problem we are running into is, the logs are either 7 1/2" and perfect, or 8" and dozy in the middle. Good bolts are hard to come by.

Trucking is about $20/cord.

Think about it. The wood buyer sets the price, the trucker gets his cut, and we get whats left. Who do you think is going to get the short end of the stick, every time?

So, I have decided to give up on the money making prospect, and just have fun working with my machines and my family. So far so good.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 10:46pm
That sort of wood makes pretty good filler to add to your woodpile. I burn it in spring and fall when the temps are mild cut back and smoldering it keeps a small amount of heat flowing for awhile.

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 12:22am
I'm on a section of what was a eucalyptus farm way back when they were building the railroads in California.
they aren't the bushy windbreak type, they are "crown eucs" with 6 or 7 trunks growing from a single root system.  The trunks are 100' + and mostly straight as an arrow.
they were originally intended to be processed into railroad ties till the growers discovered their unfortunate tendency to twist as they dried out (over 2 years).
great for fencepost or pole barn use tho... if you are patient enough to wait out the curing cycle.

anyway... why I am mentioning it here is that I was considering a portable sawmill.
thought it would be fun to make my own lumber.
but... once again these proved to be the wrong trees for the purpose due to their instability in any but the full round uncut form.

would that work for popple?
there's a wide variety of prices, kinds, kits and plans available on the net.
saw one inexpensive bandsaw kit that was designed for those who can weld.
like most, the saw head travelled on tracks along a stationary log.
wish I could use that, but I am limited to posts and firewood with my twisty eucs.

-------------

Posted By: BenGiBoy
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:03am
Enjoyed reading! Stay safe out there.... 

- Ben

-------------
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:57am
Finally had time to figure out the NEXT way to post pictures...

Went up after work one night and skidded some whole trees across the field, up into the yard.

I'm not a huge fan of skidding whole trees. It's tough in the woods, it's too easy to get frustrated when they won't move and jerk on them. It can be hard on the tractor, but when we drop them in the field and just skid them up to the yard, it isn't too bad.  It does eliminate having to load and unload them, you can just pick them up and throw them on the pile.

So, spent a Sunday morning cutting and piling...

The smaller ones are actually easier to flip onto the trailer, back up to the pile, and flip them end for end onto the pile.

Some of the bigger ones still require the tractor.

So, got the yard cleaned up, all logs put away, and drug a new batch up into the yard to do it all over again. The saw man came and cut them up during the week, and junior and I headed up for a day of fun working outside again.

Ahhhhh, the joys of teaching a kid to back up a trailer. Actually didn't take him too long and he got the hang of it.

Went around and knocked everything loose with a splitting maul.

Then we sort the sticks. Bolts stay up here, the pulpwood goes in the lower pile.

Now, to get the logs up on the pile. I made this handy attachment to bolt onto the arch. It is just a pulley mounted up high, with some loops to tie back to. Should give us the lift we need to make the pile higher. Also got a handy electric winch with remote control! Just runs on a truck battery, in the box of the gator for now. If we are going to use it a lot, may have to mount a battery box on it.

Here is a video of how it works, unloading the wagon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXr7RTcx5ZU" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXr7RTcx5ZU

Of course, no day is complete if junior can't drive a tractor. Told him if anything goes wrong, to throw the hand clutch forward or shut the switch off, plus he was pulling logs across the field in second gear so I just walked along next to him.

So, another batch cleaned up. For all the work we are doing, the pile sure doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. But, we were in a bad batch of wood, it was mostly dozy, so a lot of it went on the pulp pile. Luckily, big brother went to a new spot and found some of the largest, straightest trees we have come to yet. Some of them are so big, I'm not sure the farm crane will lift them. We will get to try the log arch out yet!

Here is a question for you fellows. The new spot is across the creek and at the other end of an alfalfa field. Pa said we can't drive on the field cause it will crush the plants and kill them. There is 6" of snow on the field, and aren't they dormant now anyways? Its a little late now, I have been driving the trails after every snowfall to keep them open. And its a good thing too, cause if you fall off the trail, you start spinning and play hell to get back up on it!

Thanks for looking.

-------------

Posted By: BenGiBoy
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 3:43pm
Looks good! Be careful with the high piles, it might be good that the winch is kinda slow, it gives time to see what is going on. Thumbs Up

And if I am correct...at least Carter can't roll the tractor over backwards because the "crane" won't let it flip easily?

- Ben

-------------
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:08am
Very nice work in the woods! Watch those hand winches (looks like you moved to a electric one).
Regards,
 Chris

-------------
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:30pm
Well, its been 40+ degrees for a week now, and we have trees and logs laying out in the woods yet, best get them home till mud shuts us down till say, oh, JUNE. 

Was a little worried about thin ice on the creek, so we went down the road and around to get up in the woods, but ran into a rather large snag. The gator was cruising along on top of the snow until I hit a soft spot or something. All four wheels started spinning and we were high centered immediately. The big flat bottom of the gator sits on the snow nice as can be and the wheels are rendered useless.

Taught junior the fine art of just the right amount of shoveling mixed in with just the right amount of colorful language to handle such a situation. He should have that down pat next time he needs it.

Its tough working in the woods now, but the tractor with the chains does exceptionally well.  Fired up sweet Allis and went over the creek, which was perfectly solid.

We headed up to bring home a load of bolts and skid a few more trees into the yard as well.

I guess I have been demoted to passenger, as long as we are out in the open.

I have been letting him help me with the crane. We just have an understanding that he doesn't move in until I have the crane down and the tractor in neutral. He is really getting good at fishing the chain through, and centering it on the log, and hooking up  the slip hook correctly so it doesn't fall off as soon as you lift.

I'd say he's earned the right to a little seat time. Plus then I get to relax for a few.

Doesn't take too many big 'uns to fill the wagon.

So, that took us till lunch. We threw most of out clothes in the dryer while we ate, and after lunch, I went out and skidded the few remaining trees home to be cut up in the yard. Which leaves us with 5 logs laying up in the woods. We will go get them with the log arch tomorrow, hopefully. 

I never broke through the creek, but there was standing water on top of the ice that wasn't there when we started.

-------------

Posted By: ac45dave
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 11:11pm
Marv, you know what you've started with that seat time don't ya.from the first time I got some seat time on grandpas wd45,about the same age as your son,it was full on competition between my dad and me for the tractor seat from then on..lol..good to see him running the old wd.that will stay in his blood for ever as it has in mine.love to hear those old wd and wd45s bark.

-------------
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:57am
Yes. When you are bringing a tree home in third gear and the governor does its thing coming up out of the creek bottom, makes me smile every time.

Which makes up for the cursing trying to get the old girl started..... the engine pops then the starter kicks out and you have to let it wind down and start over... sure can be a stubborn thing to start.

Going to pop the starter off today when we are done and have it gone through.

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:22pm
So today we went and took the arch up into the woods. I took my "high pulley" attachment off first.

We were grabbing logs two at a time, but we just weren't getting the clearance I had imagined. My hook and loop and snatchblock and swivel all add up and take too much space.

Then I had an epiphany right out there in the snowbank. Put the high pulley back on and back up we went.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFVjhkf4rc" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNFVjhkf4rc

Boy, that sucks em up nice and tight. We string chains under the log and release the winch a bit so it doesn't get jarred when going through the woods.

And then, to really put the day over the top, Uncle Eric showed up and brought Carter the single shot 20 gauge that both he and I have learned to shoot with. Suffice it to say, all logging operations ceased once that was brought out. Carter has never shot  a shotgun before, so I just wanted him to pop a few off to see how it felt. We were standing so close that the wad punched a hole in the target! He says it kicks a lot, but he wants to shoot it again. Maybe we will grab a slip on recoil pad for him, that single shot is pretty light.

And who was watching us while eating supper across the road? More deer in one spot than I have seen in several years of hunting. Kind of neat to watch them once they yard up for the winter.

Authors note: That field WAS soybeans and WAS combined with a green machine. The deer have been eating in that same field for several weeks now.

Thanks for looking!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:49pm
Well, things have been softening up in the woods, and my dad's yard. The log pile is on his lawn, so we have to be careful not to rip it up. But, when its cold at night, its good and solid in the morning, anyways.

So, we winched some more onto the pile,

Some of the smaller ones, its just as easy to skid them over to the pile and flip them onto it.

So, we did that in the morning, then ran up to the woods and put a load on the wagon, and stacked the rest of the logs in piles of four or five to make it easy to grab them with the arch. I figured we need to get this wood out quick, spring is coming fast!

Mother nature has other ideas, I guess. We got 4" of heavy wet snow Friday night, and they are calling for 6-12" overnight into Tuesday.

The kids and I headed up yesterday to haul everything home. They sure do have fun up there, and don't even realize how much help they are, or how much they are learning.

Now that I figured out how to get the maximum lift with the arch, its time to see how much it can handle. I put the hand winch back on cause it has thicker cable. We started picking up bundles of smaller logs.

BUT, we started hooking onto bigger and bigger log piles. The high pulley attachment was designed for the cable going out to winch logs onto the pile, not straight down for heavy lifting.

This little tidbit was discovered the hard way.

We are really starting to deal with some large amounts of force here. I am stuck in town on call for the next week, so I brought the piece home with me to straighten out and re-work it a little to make it able to handle the load. Keep finding and fixing the weakest link, and eventually we will have quite the machine.

Thanks for looking.

-------------

Posted By: JayIN
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:20am
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!!!

-------------
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"

Posted By: Reindeer
Date Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
 Really enjoy your pictures and commentary.  Grew up making wood and logging with a WD, and D4 cat.  Good memories.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:48pm
Beefed up and ready to go again.

We are supposed to get 3 1/2" of rain, or 10" of snow, in the next 4 days, depending on temperatures. Junior and I scrambled up in the woods after supper to clean up the last of the logs, before we become swamp loggers!

He grabbed the pulp wood,

I loaded the rest of the bolts,

And we made one last trip home, for awhile anyways.

So, we got everything piled, just at dark, in the rain. Can't see it in the picture too good, but the bolts are on the left, and the pulp wood is on the right.

We need 12 cords of each to make a load. One load to the paper mill, and another to the sawmill. I think we need a couple more loads of good bolts just to be safe, but that's up to the saw man. Once it dries up again, the logging should be a lot easier. Plus, the trucker told me to hold on to the wood until June, when the mills empty out and the price may go up. That's about when the yard dries up anyways , so should work out perfect.

Sure was a blast working on this all winter. Time spent with kids, and family, and dog, and tractors, is time well spent.

Thanks for looking.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:08pm
I am truly surprised a publisher hasn't contacted you about publishing this... story & pictures.

trite as it may sound... thanks for sharing both with us... especially with this desert dweller.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:35pm
Grandpa Marvin snagged the wagon so he can get going on firewood, but swamped the gator trying to get a load home. He asked if we could run up there with a tractor and get it home for him.

Luckily, I  just happen to know a willing driver.

So, we went up and grabbed one last load, and we should be done with the logging operation.

So there is a winters work. Should be close to 24 cords. Hopefully I can be there for some pictures when the log truck comes.

Thanks for looking!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:09pm
yep...I thinks the Discovery CHannel needs to pick you 2 up, how much drama can you add? oh wait, that should be easy, you are using a green machine too! (poke,poke)

Posted By: Steve A
Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:39am
It will be interesting to see how dense the aspen sprouts back this spring. You'll have to post a couple shots of the more open areas in late summer.

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:56am
Marv,
 Great documentation of your logging event this past winter. Really enjoyed the pictures and story. Great to see all the machinery options and the kids helping. You son with the B in some of the last pictures is great. Looks like he has his own orange tractor now! But he does a good job with the WD too! Those bull chains remind me of when I was a kid his age. They will really grip!
Thanks for sharing!
Regards,
 Chris

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:17am
Sure sorry I didn't get to see you this weekend!  We had a LONG talk with wiplowboy.  Was a beautiful day for it.
Can't wait to see that little guy!  He's sure a good worker.
Thanks for this GREAT thread and the pics are what make it special.
See ya soon I hope......

-------------
"Allis-Express"

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:11pm

Got a hold of the truck driver the other day, the yard is nice and dry,  so he went and hauled the bolts up to the saw mill, came back and picked up the pulp wood and headed for the paper mill. Sure wish I could have been there to see that.

Interestingly enough, he had to stop at my work on his way to the paper mill, so I at least got to see what the load looked like.

Not quite enough for a full load. He figured about 10 cords of bolts, and 10 cord of pulp wood. Oh well, close enough.

Now for the moment of truth..... the mills pay him, he takes his cut, and Pa gets the rest. We will see in a week or two.

Thanks for looking.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net