This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passing of the Punkin' Popple

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passing of the Punkin' Popple
    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:11pm

Got a hold of the truck driver the other day, the yard is nice and dry,  so he went and hauled the bolts up to the saw mill, came back and picked up the pulp wood and headed for the paper mill. Sure wish I could have been there to see that.

Interestingly enough, he had to stop at my work on his way to the paper mill, so I at least got to see what the load looked like.

Not quite enough for a full load. He figured about 10 cords of bolts, and 10 cord of pulp wood. Oh well, close enough.

Now for the moment of truth..... the mills pay him, he takes his cut, and Pa gets the rest. We will see in a week or two.

Thanks for looking.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 9:17am
Sure sorry I didn't get to see you this weekend!  We had a LONG talk with wiplowboy.  Was a beautiful day for it.
Can't wait to see that little guy!  He's sure a good worker.
Thanks for this GREAT thread and the pics are what make it special.
See ya soon I hope......
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:56am
Marv,
 Great documentation of your logging event this past winter. Really enjoyed the pictures and story. Great to see all the machinery options and the kids helping. You son with the B in some of the last pictures is great. Looks like he has his own orange tractor now! But he does a good job with the WD too! Those bull chains remind me of when I was a kid his age. They will really grip!
Thanks for sharing!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Steve A View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:39am
It will be interesting to see how dense the aspen sprouts back this spring. You'll have to post a couple shots of the more open areas in late summer.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 11:09pm
yep...I thinks the Discovery CHannel needs to pick you 2 up, how much drama can you add? oh wait, that should be easy, you are using a green machine too! (poke,poke)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 9:35pm
Grandpa Marvin snagged the wagon so he can get going on firewood, but swamped the gator trying to get a load home. He asked if we could run up there with a tractor and get it home for him.

Luckily, I  just happen to know a willing driver.

So, we went up and grabbed one last load, and we should be done with the logging operation.

So there is a winters work. Should be close to 24 cords. Hopefully I can be there for some pictures when the log truck comes.

Thanks for looking!

drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:08pm
I am truly surprised a publisher hasn't contacted you about publishing this... story & pictures.

trite as it may sound... thanks for sharing both with us... especially with this desert dweller.

3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:48pm
Beefed up and ready to go again.

We are supposed to get 3 1/2" of rain, or 10" of snow, in the next 4 days, depending on temperatures. Junior and I scrambled up in the woods after supper to clean up the last of the logs, before we become swamp loggers!

He grabbed the pulp wood,

I loaded the rest of the bolts,

And we made one last trip home, for awhile anyways.

So, we got everything piled, just at dark, in the rain. Can't see it in the picture too good, but the bolts are on the left, and the pulp wood is on the right.

We need 12 cords of each to make a load. One load to the paper mill, and another to the sawmill. I think we need a couple more loads of good bolts just to be safe, but that's up to the saw man. Once it dries up again, the logging should be a lot easier. Plus, the trucker told me to hold on to the wood until June, when the mills empty out and the price may go up. That's about when the yard dries up anyways , so should work out perfect.

Sure was a blast working on this all winter. Time spent with kids, and family, and dog, and tractors, is time well spent.

Thanks for looking.

Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 7:20pm
 Really enjoy your pictures and commentary.  Grew up making wood and logging with a WD, and D4 cat.  Good memories.

JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2018 at 8:20am
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2018 at 9:49pm
Well, things have been softening up in the woods, and my dad's yard. The log pile is on his lawn, so we have to be careful not to rip it up. But, when its cold at night, its good and solid in the morning, anyways.

So, we winched some more onto the pile,

Some of the smaller ones, its just as easy to skid them over to the pile and flip them onto it.

So, we did that in the morning, then ran up to the woods and put a load on the wagon, and stacked the rest of the logs in piles of four or five to make it easy to grab them with the arch. I figured we need to get this wood out quick, spring is coming fast!

Mother nature has other ideas, I guess. We got 4" of heavy wet snow Friday night, and they are calling for 6-12" overnight into Tuesday.

The kids and I headed up yesterday to haul everything home. They sure do have fun up there, and don't even realize how much help they are, or how much they are learning.

Now that I figured out how to get the maximum lift with the arch, its time to see how much it can handle. I put the hand winch back on cause it has thicker cable. We started picking up bundles of smaller logs.

BUT, we started hooking onto bigger and bigger log piles. The high pulley attachment was designed for the cable going out to winch logs onto the pile, not straight down for heavy lifting.

This little tidbit was discovered the hard way.

We are really starting to deal with some large amounts of force here. I am stuck in town on call for the next week, so I brought the piece home with me to straighten out and re-work it a little to make it able to handle the load. Keep finding and fixing the weakest link, and eventually we will have quite the machine.

Thanks for looking.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:22pm
So today we went and took the arch up into the woods. I took my "high pulley" attachment off first.

We were grabbing logs two at a time, but we just weren't getting the clearance I had imagined. My hook and loop and snatchblock and swivel all add up and take too much space.

Then I had an epiphany right out there in the snowbank. Put the high pulley back on and back up we went.

Boy, that sucks em up nice and tight. We string chains under the log and release the winch a bit so it doesn't get jarred when going through the woods.

And then, to really put the day over the top, Uncle Eric showed up and brought Carter the single shot 20 gauge that both he and I have learned to shoot with. Suffice it to say, all logging operations ceased once that was brought out. Carter has never shot  a shotgun before, so I just wanted him to pop a few off to see how it felt. We were standing so close that the wad punched a hole in the target! He says it kicks a lot, but he wants to shoot it again. Maybe we will grab a slip on recoil pad for him, that single shot is pretty light.

And who was watching us while eating supper across the road? More deer in one spot than I have seen in several years of hunting. Kind of neat to watch them once they yard up for the winter.

Authors note: That field WAS soybeans and WAS combined with a green machine. The deer have been eating in that same field for several weeks now.

Thanks for looking!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 6:57am
Yes. When you are bringing a tree home in third gear and the governor does its thing coming up out of the creek bottom, makes me smile every time.

Which makes up for the cursing trying to get the old girl started..... the engine pops then the starter kicks out and you have to let it wind down and start over... sure can be a stubborn thing to start.

Going to pop the starter off today when we are done and have it gone through.

ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 11:11pm
Marv, you know what you've started with that seat time don't ya.from the first time I got some seat time on grandpas wd45,about the same age as your son,it was full on competition between my dad and me for the tractor seat from then on..lol..good to see him running the old wd.that will stay in his blood for ever as it has in mine.love to hear those old wd and wd45s bark.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 10:30pm
Well, its been 40+ degrees for a week now, and we have trees and logs laying out in the woods yet, best get them home till mud shuts us down till say, oh, JUNE. 

Was a little worried about thin ice on the creek, so we went down the road and around to get up in the woods, but ran into a rather large snag. The gator was cruising along on top of the snow until I hit a soft spot or something. All four wheels started spinning and we were high centered immediately. The big flat bottom of the gator sits on the snow nice as can be and the wheels are rendered useless.

Taught junior the fine art of just the right amount of shoveling mixed in with just the right amount of colorful language to handle such a situation. He should have that down pat next time he needs it.

Its tough working in the woods now, but the tractor with the chains does exceptionally well.  Fired up sweet Allis and went over the creek, which was perfectly solid.

We headed up to bring home a load of bolts and skid a few more trees into the yard as well.

I guess I have been demoted to passenger, as long as we are out in the open.

I have been letting him help me with the crane. We just have an understanding that he doesn't move in until I have the crane down and the tractor in neutral. He is really getting good at fishing the chain through, and centering it on the log, and hooking up  the slip hook correctly so it doesn't fall off as soon as you lift.

I'd say he's earned the right to a little seat time. Plus then I get to relax for a few.

Doesn't take too many big 'uns to fill the wagon.

So, that took us till lunch. We threw most of out clothes in the dryer while we ate, and after lunch, I went out and skidded the few remaining trees home to be cut up in the yard. Which leaves us with 5 logs laying up in the woods. We will go get them with the log arch tomorrow, hopefully. 

I never broke through the creek, but there was standing water on top of the ice that wasn't there when we started.

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:08am
Very nice work in the woods! Watch those hand winches (looks like you moved to a electric one).
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 3:43pm
Looks good! Be careful with the high piles, it might be good that the winch is kinda slow, it gives time to see what is going on. Thumbs Up

And if I am correct...at least Carter can't roll the tractor over backwards because the "crane" won't let it flip easily?

- Ben
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 8:57am
Finally had time to figure out the NEXT way to post pictures...

Went up after work one night and skidded some whole trees across the field, up into the yard.

I'm not a huge fan of skidding whole trees. It's tough in the woods, it's too easy to get frustrated when they won't move and jerk on them. It can be hard on the tractor, but when we drop them in the field and just skid them up to the yard, it isn't too bad.  It does eliminate having to load and unload them, you can just pick them up and throw them on the pile.

So, spent a Sunday morning cutting and piling...

The smaller ones are actually easier to flip onto the trailer, back up to the pile, and flip them end for end onto the pile.

Some of the bigger ones still require the tractor.

So, got the yard cleaned up, all logs put away, and drug a new batch up into the yard to do it all over again. The saw man came and cut them up during the week, and junior and I headed up for a day of fun working outside again.

Ahhhhh, the joys of teaching a kid to back up a trailer. Actually didn't take him too long and he got the hang of it.

Went around and knocked everything loose with a splitting maul.

Then we sort the sticks. Bolts stay up here, the pulpwood goes in the lower pile.

Now, to get the logs up on the pile. I made this handy attachment to bolt onto the arch. It is just a pulley mounted up high, with some loops to tie back to. Should give us the lift we need to make the pile higher. Also got a handy electric winch with remote control! Just runs on a truck battery, in the box of the gator for now. If we are going to use it a lot, may have to mount a battery box on it.

Here is a video of how it works, unloading the wagon.

Of course, no day is complete if junior can't drive a tractor. Told him if anything goes wrong, to throw the hand clutch forward or shut the switch off, plus he was pulling logs across the field in second gear so I just walked along next to him.

So, another batch cleaned up. For all the work we are doing, the pile sure doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. But, we were in a bad batch of wood, it was mostly dozy, so a lot of it went on the pulp pile. Luckily, big brother went to a new spot and found some of the largest, straightest trees we have come to yet. Some of them are so big, I'm not sure the farm crane will lift them. We will get to try the log arch out yet!

Here is a question for you fellows. The new spot is across the creek and at the other end of an alfalfa field. Pa said we can't drive on the field cause it will crush the plants and kill them. There is 6" of snow on the field, and aren't they dormant now anyways? Its a little late now, I have been driving the trails after every snowfall to keep them open. And its a good thing too, cause if you fall off the trail, you start spinning and play hell to get back up on it!

Thanks for looking.

BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 9:03am
Enjoyed reading! Stay safe out there.... 

- Ben
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
drobCA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drobCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 12:22am
I'm on a section of what was a eucalyptus farm way back when they were building the railroads in California.
they aren't the bushy windbreak type, they are "crown eucs" with 6 or 7 trunks growing from a single root system.  The trunks are 100' + and mostly straight as an arrow.
they were originally intended to be processed into railroad ties till the growers discovered their unfortunate tendency to twist as they dried out (over 2 years).
great for fencepost or pole barn use tho... if you are patient enough to wait out the curing cycle.

anyway... why I am mentioning it here is that I was considering a portable sawmill.
thought it would be fun to make my own lumber.
but... once again these proved to be the wrong trees for the purpose due to their instability in any but the full round uncut form.

would that work for popple?
there's a wide variety of prices, kinds, kits and plans available on the net.
saw one inexpensive bandsaw kit that was designed for those who can weld.
like most, the saw head travelled on tracks along a stationary log.
wish I could use that, but I am limited to posts and firewood with my twisty eucs.
3 Ford 8N's I loan to neighbors, but the '52CA, '41B and little B1 I do not.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 10:46pm
That sort of wood makes pretty good filler to add to your woodpile. I burn it in spring and fall when the temps are mild cut back and smoldering it keeps a small amount of heat flowing for awhile.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 9:26pm
I started out thinking we should make a little money doing this.

Any straight, solid log 8" in diameter and larger qualifies as a "bolt".  They make them into boards or posts, I guess.
Bolts get around $135/cord.

The rest is pulpwood that goes to the paper mill, at around $80/cord.

The problem we are running into is, the logs are either 7 1/2" and perfect, or 8" and dozy in the middle. Good bolts are hard to come by.

Trucking is about $20/cord.

Think about it. The wood buyer sets the price, the trucker gets his cut, and we get whats left. Who do you think is going to get the short end of the stick, every time?

So, I have decided to give up on the money making prospect, and just have fun working with my machines and my family. So far so good.

Edited by littlemarv - 28 Jan 2018 at 9:31pm

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:59pm
And to sweeten up the deal I will throw in all the Multiflora Rose but ya gotta take em all.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:46pm
They also call Quaking Aspen pulp or pulp wood trees here but I've never heard em called popple. If you promise to take them all you can have mine. I cut them and let them rot, they have a tendency to get just big enough to be a pita then snap off and mess up the woods. To find one more that 12 inches in diameter and still standing is the exception rather than the rule.

Edited by Walker - 28 Jan 2018 at 8:48pm
brkfldj View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brkfldj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 8:16pm
I don't know my trees so I googled popple trees and learned that popples are the same as quaking aspen.

Jim
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:25pm
I suppose I should correct myself. Seems to me I heard Quaking Aspen is used to make OSB board. A long time ago I used to haul it to a paper mill, that's why paper sticks in my mind, but I don't know what it went into from there. Takes a higher HP saw to cut it because the fibers will close back into the cut and drag on the chain even when its sharp.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 7:09pm
Sure enough, I googled "New Idea #7 running gear" and that's exactly what it is!

Dad said that wagon was there on the farm when he got there, circa 1945. Wonder how long those wagons were made?

polarbear View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 6:47pm
got two of those new idea wagon gears my dad bought new they called that design a rocking bolstom i think they are #5 or #7
sadmyentist View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadmyentist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 4:48pm
Marv, "popple" here in WI is poplar, a close cousin of cottonwood.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2018 at 4:22pm
Marv, we got Tulip Poplar here that sounds about the closest to it. Quaking Aspen is a really soft type used to make paper. Light colored bark and leaves that shimmer in the sunlight with the wind, I guess that's where the Quaking comes from.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic