This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You Live and you learn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You Live and you learn
    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:10am
Tractor pulling is supposed to be a enjoyable experience.  You go to a tractor pull where you hear nothing but wonderful things about the facility and the sled. At check in you are told you can hook 3 times with as many tractors you enter.  Chose the weight class or classes you  are going to pull in.  In my case 2500 3000 and 3500.  In each weight class you mark 1 of 4 divisions listed as FARM STOCK 1 - FARM STOCK 2 - Modified - OPEN. Each division has rules to help you choose which division most fits your tractor.
    in 2500 I choose Modified   Because the speed limit was 4mph any gear plus a  hanging weight.
    in 3000 I choose Farm stock 2  3 1/2 mph first gear
    In 3500 I choose Farm stock 2  3 1/2 mph first gear
Their were 2 entries in 2500   Because of the Division I choose I was I was the only one.
    Here is where the sled was so tight the MF ahead of me could not start the sled. After 4 tries they called me to hook and start the sled in the same holes the MF dug. I managed to move the sled 5 feet.    This is no fun at all
    In 3000 there was maybe 5 pullers  Same thing. All had trouble starting the sled. I managed to win the class with a 30 foot pull .
    in 3500 again there were maybe 5.  2 pullers were  in the Modified Division Cut tires the works.  I just amazed how strong these boys were. Especially the WD out of Norman OK. In the 4 mph class both of  these  3500 pound  entries were clocked at 7 plus MPH I was way outclassed with my little CA at 3 1/2 mph.  But because I was not in their division I won mine.     They pulled last. Makes me wonder if the operator didn't loosen up the sled.   It was sad to watch two Farm Stock 420 JDs barely move the sled more than 5 feet.
   I don't want to pull there again because the sled is not designed to start a 2500  pound tractor. It could also be the track. It is what I call DEEP SAND. I slipped the tires for the length of my pulls. I could have dumped all my front weight and not picked up the front with so little traction
   I should have known not to like The HWH sled when their claim to fame is. No tractor you bring we can't stop. May I add. Bring no less than a 3500 Modified or open  if you expect to have fun pulling our sled
   I'm ready for next Friday and Saturday at another indoor arena pull with a different sled. This pull is so close I could drive my CA to it

On a water proofing for hauling  in the rain     A gallon size zip lock kept my powder dry.     On the way  home I worried about hydroplaning. I don't remember in all my years driving in such downpours.   I My straight pipe is a loose fit to the manifold. I got lots of water in my engine. I took the plugs out and water blew out all four and the exhaust.  Rolled it over till I thought the battery would die. Buttoned  it back up and it ran.  Ran it out of gas.  I hope no harm was done.    It was just not a good day.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 20 Apr 2019 at 8:18pm
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 4:30pm
Thumbs DownI feel your pain Ken,  I've been to pulls like that were the promoter puts on a really poor show because they think a few minutes with a blade scraping off a bit of grass makes a good track. At a place like that the heaviest tractors need to pull first. Even then the track maintenance crew has to be tip top to get things in shape by the end of the pull for the little tractors.
   As no competition showed up at my pull last Saturday, I will once again put out the call to any 2500 pound tractors with a standing offer to come to our pull with a 2500 pound tractor to pull and I'll pay your entry fee. On top of that I have a $50 to go to the class winner. Our next pull is May 11th. Then another September 13th and the last pull September 28th.  
   Our sled can be started with just about anything more than a pedal tractor and unless the weather really messes things up we always have a good track. 

Edited by PaulB - 19 Apr 2019 at 2:57pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 4:53am
Just for fun I did this search. "Texas Antique Tractor Pulling". What popped up was a photo of yours truly on my CA Hooked to our club sled waiting for the green flag. This was from a long time ago when I was still pulling on Power Adjust Rims.  I clicked on the photo and got to view like 76 more photos of about everybody I pulled with that day along with another one of me and the CA pulling hard way down the track. 
    There was another series of more recent photos from The State Fair of Louisiana Shreveport where our club puts on a Antique Tractor Pull on Friday and Saturday in October.    I had no idea that any of these photos existed .

Edited by Ken in Texas - 16 Apr 2019 at 4:58am
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:38am
I gave up on 2500/3000 class. The sleds are typically to large to move very far.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:48am
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

I gave up on 2500/3000 class. The sleds are typically to large to move very far.

Bring your CA over by the Bay May11th. You should get a good 200โ€™. Iโ€™ll even pay your entry fee for the 2500๐Ÿ‘
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 9:05am
Ha!
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2019 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Charlie175 Charlie175 wrote:

Ha!

What, you canโ€™t stand to be beaten? ๐Ÿ˜ผ๐Ÿ˜ผ๐Ÿ˜ผ
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:04pm
A revelation to any and all NAY SAYERS.     Awards for LITTLE tractors and for BIG tractors are the same size

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2019 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

A revelation to any and all NAY SAYERS.     Awards for LITTLE tractors and for BIG tractors are the same size

You're right. In our area, (for the antiques) it is a cheap trophy (no cash). My wife got sick of dusting them long ago !

HWH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HWH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:07pm
Ken In Texas, first off you have no clue of the rules. you whine more than a little puppy and us here at HWH will be very happy if you never come pull with us again. We have around 1200 tractors registered with us as pullers and a lot of small tractors. Because you are not able to pull the sled is NOT the sleds fault. I run the sled and I never LIGHTEN up the sled for the higher division tractors as you suggested. you have all the rules miss stated and made it clear you would NEVER pay to pull. You are welcome to have your opinion and glad you chose to express it in every forum you can join but the truth is we have many happy pullers and some have even challenged you with your all mighty AC to come compete but you always have an excuse. From all the HWH owners and staff thank you for us never having to deal with you again.
HWH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HWH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 7:13pm
exactly
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:41am
Sounds like I hit a sore spot by being critical of the HWH Sled.
My Question still is, WHY did ALL the first pullers at the Athens Church Arena Pull  have such a problem moving the HWH sled more than just a few feet.   In some cases not at all. Made no difference what color the tractor was.   Why embarrass the first pullers with your big heavy tractor stopper?    
     I have hooked to several club sleds in this part of Texas where the first pullers put on a show equal to what tractors later into the pull do. 
    Are you not able to lighten up the HWH sled to where a 3000 pound farm stock tractor could make a full pull?   
    I wish you could have been at the East Texas Pull at the Rusk County EXPO Center Arena Pull the following weekend for their annual show and pull.  Hooking to their sled if  you are a first puller of the day or the last, everyone has fun putting on a show with what they came to pull with and goes away to come back another time.
    What is your excuse EXACTLY for not letting first pullers pull your sled more than just a few feet.   Both of your comments of being happy to run me off and never having to deal with me and my Little CA ever again says a bunch about how you feel about your first pullers of the day.   
    Why don't we just let this unpleasant experience go away for once and for all?
AGREED?    A simple yes or no will work for me

Edited by Ken in Texas - 02 May 2019 at 12:27pm
HWH View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HWH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2019 at 2:35pm
Like I said, you have no idea of the rules, classes or what a tractor pull is. Where did you see " our claim to fame " I never have seen that and I know there are some tractors I can't stop. What I do know is for you to HIT A NERVE, I would have to value your opinion. As far as just let it be, I did the first few posts you made but YOU wont let it die so I owed you a reply. It doesn't make any difference what sled was there, you can't pull small tractors in the mud. Thanks for your uneducated thoughts and comments
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic