This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yamaha gas golf cart help needed FIXED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha gas golf cart help needed FIXED
    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 7:45pm
Driving along and I thought it ran out of gas, nope, plenty of gas.  Has spark, took fuel line off, fuel pump works while it cranks over, dip tube ok in tank.  Now if I spray starting fluid in the carb it starts and runs as long as I hold the gas pedal down but if I let off, it dies.  Pour gas down the carb and nothing.  I can choke it, not choke it, whatever and nothing, give it a shot of ether and we're off to the races until I let off the pedal.  I haven't taken the carb off yet, maybe a bad gasket, sucking air?

Edited by JW in MO - 15 Mar 2020 at 5:33pm
Maximum use of available resources!
Sponsored Links

allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 8:30pm
Did you change the plug? I know you got spark but I'd try a plug first
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2020 at 8:52pm
I have changed the fuel pump on our Yamaha several times, the small screen gets dirt in it and must be clean. I’m taking it that the starter is whipping it over fast enough. Check the cable to the foot peddle as well. Most over my problems have been electrical over the years. If squirting ether in the pump screen works, replace the pump.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:36am
Also if the crank seals are bad there won't be enough vacuum to operate the pump at low rooms. Had this problem on a g2. Hope you find the problem
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:36am
RPM,s
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 11:12am
I haven't changed the plug, the spark seemed hot and blue but it's probably time. I put a new pump on a couple years ago, wasn't the problem then but they aren't expensive. When I pull the hose off the carb, press the accelerator it pumps gas rather freely. I put the transmission in neutral, pull the air filter and just shoot a drop if ether in it and it starts and runs fine, that's the confusing part. Once it's running its fine until you stop. New plug and pump won't hurt anything so I'll start there.
Thanks guys, I'll keep trying and report back.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:08pm
Start with a good hot battery, sometimes just a little less, doesn’t make enough to whip starter fast enough. I have also adjusted the fuel line so it didn’t have to pump uphill. I pulled the carb once and replaced the gasket. There are several little things that have all eventually worked. Hope this helps
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 12:32pm
Yeah JW, I'd start with the fuel pump and then pull some hair out.  I'm going to try that with mine.  My problem is that it starts fine*, but as soon as you step on the accelerator it quits.  *just push the pedal down far enough to turn it over and it runs in idle.  Soon as I push harder......Pffftt
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 8:10pm
Went out tonight and started messing with it and the battery gave out, started to put a charger on it and then decided to go with a new one, headed to town tomorrow.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:16pm
Be careful pushing down on the accelerator on that truck.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 12:04pm
New battery alone didn't do it but now am convinced the fuel pump isn't working right, started looking online and found them for around $10-15, also found a rebuild kit for my old one for $35, who buys those?
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 4:48pm
The guys that didn't find the $10-15 ones. LOL
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 6:04pm
OK, I'd starve to death as a golf cart repairman, everything I thought it was, it wasn't.    I took the carb off, (managed to loose a 1/4" drive socket that I really needed for an hour), but the float was not sticking.  I did get it to start and run for a bit on its own today, used the original fuel pump, stuck the pump inlet hose in a can of gasoline.  It ran for a bit, I let off the gas, it died and refused to start again.  New fuel pump should be here Tuesday, I'll put the new plug in then and I'm thinking new hoses and dip tube.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 7:44pm
JW, is this a 2 cycle engine? If so, you could have leaking seals on the crankshaft or a dirty or warped reed valve.  Either one of these will let enough air leak by at low RPM's  to cause problems.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

JW, is this a 2 cycle engine? If so, you could have leaking seals on the crankshaft or a dirty or warped reed valve.  Either one of these will let enough air leak by at low RPM's  to cause problems.

What makes me feel even dumber is, nope, it's 4 cycle.  If it'd been 2 I would have already taken it somewhere.
Bowl on carb is full of gasoline but I don't think it's getting replenished once it starts, so going to try the new pump with new tubing out of a can before I reconnect everything.  Only other thought would be if the starter is dragging however I've always had to choke it to get it started so maybe a compression test is necessary.  Of course, I'm overthinking everything at this point.
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 9:49am
If it is an overhead valve engine,I would check the valve clearances.
 Maybe do an engine leak down test,it will tell you more than a compression check will.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 10:19am
I wouldn’t get into the engine just yet. I have a ‘96 that gets used regular and have never been in there. I always start electrical, then fuel. You will get it and most likely just something small. I have worked on several of these over the years, engines last if the oil and air filters are maintained. You can tell that by the amount of oil that is burned!
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 5:37pm
Cleaned the carburetor for the third time only when I took it off I found the gasket lying on the floor so I mad sure I put it back on this time, replaced the spark plug and it runs like a turpentined cat.  Think I'll give it a fresh oil change and wait for all the activities to fire back up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic