This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woods mower repair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woods mower repair
    Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 9:38am

I've got a Woods L59 mower that came with my B, but two of the blades are locked up tight.  From your experience, what parts should I plan to replace... the whole spindles, or just the bearings?  Just curious, as I know of another mower that might could donate parts if necessary, but I'm trying to weigh the costs.  Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 10:53am
The L59 that I had was locked up.after I took the Blades off and started taking It apart there was Rlectric fence wound tight around the spindles.  I put ne3w grease seals in it and put it back together. I would nou buy parts till I had it apart. the blade bolts on that are left hand thread.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:18am
I have rebuilt the spindles and I have replaced the whole spindle. The last time Palmer Equipment in Washington, GA was able to match the spindle with one off a NH mower. The cost was very close to what just the replacement parts were from Woods and there was a lot less labor involved. Their parts guys are good people to deal with. I am looking for the front caster assembly to put on mine. It cuts fine without it but I would still like to have it on there. Will you be at the GOTO in Gray, TN?
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 11:56am

I had spindle break on a Woods L-306 mower a couple of years ago.  After pricing new bearings, seals, etc., it was about the same money to just buy a complete spindle assembly.  As Hubert says, there's a lot less labor involved.  As Dave said, get it apart first and then see what you need.

Brian F(IL)

Richard Slaughter View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Slaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 2:26pm
D & J equip in Nashville In did have a couple of Woods 59 in the salvage section. 812-988-6635
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic