This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Woods 121 bush hog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Woods 121 bush hog
    Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:22am
Picked up a used Woods 121 bush hog. We have used it on about 12 acres so far and I parked it in the shop over the weekend. One of the gear boxes is leaking a small amount around the output shaft seal. It has gear oil in it. Should I tear it down and replace the seal or drain the gear box and fill it with high temp grease? I thought I have seen new ones that switched to grease instead of gear oil?
Sponsored Links

Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 12:20pm
I can't speak from personal experience but others will chime in about the use of corn head grease as either a temporary or permanent fix if you're trying to put off tearing into it at this time.  Good luck. 
ksbowman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 1:53pm
I had an older 15' brush hog that had both outer gear boxes leaking and I drained and filled with high temp grease and I ran them that way several years until I sold it. Never had a problem with it.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 2:19pm
We use moly grease in ours and no issues. Corn head grease is thinner and may work through the seals soon. I know our gear boxes ran hot with oil and are much cooler now especially doing corn stalks.

Edited by allisbred - 03 Aug 2020 at 2:20pm
ToddnwIl View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddnwIl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 2:24pm
We run corn head grease in almost everything that has an old gearbox. It still may leak when it's hot from running but wont when its not being used.

Edited by ToddnwIl - 03 Aug 2020 at 2:24pm
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 4:23pm
Well, fwiw, the manual on my old Woods 72-2 state that a small amount of gear oil WILL leak and it's perfectly normal, just refill as needed. I'll try to find the manual and post a pic of that page, but it literally states that it's "normal."
...maybe I misread, "abnormal." LOL
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic