This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter Project Done. (PICS) Cobbled B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter Project Done. (PICS) Cobbled B
    Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 7:03pm
My old 39 B mower tractor finally had enough last year and earned some attention.   Made a winter project out of the old war horse.....Complete Engine rebuild and new clutch along with some new tires and wheels.   Brush painted the old tin with the wrong shade of orange and threw together some incorrect stainless fasteners.  Then I worked over the old woods mower and painted it an incorrect color also.  Put a homemade hitch on the drawbar... wrong also.       Added a few decals that I did not put in the right places and probably don't belong to a 39 with 38 wheels.   It is an old hand crank with a nice rebuilt magneto from Matt (Jordan, MN) and lots of help and advice from my hero...DickL. 

So I got all the cobbled up parts thrown back together and will post a few pre-mowing shots.   It is ready to go back to chores.   I know I got stuff wrong.... BUT MAN DO I LOVE THIS TRACTOR!   :)    

Edited by rasman57 - 14 Feb 2015 at 1:21pm
Sponsored Links

R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 7:31pm

Edited by R.W - 14 Feb 2015 at 9:30am
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 7:47pm
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 8:17pm
Looks Great To Me!!! Thumbs Up
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 8:46pm
As I was reading your initial post, I thought, Hey that's about what I do!:) Your tractor looks great to me and you should be very proud. I would Drive that!!
Thanks for posting the pictures.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 8:50pm
Nothing wrong with that.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 9:09pm
Looks great to me too cept I always had a thing about a B decal on one that never had a B decal Geek I'm NOT the correct Police by any means so take that with a grain of salt. At least you won't have to explain to the odd color guys why it doesn't have a model designation Big smile
 If ya need more practice on a B, I have B254 here that could use some freshening up Wink
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
sandman2234 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandman2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by MNLonnie MNLonnie wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.

I was thinking just the opposite, that there was something wrong with that picture, till I realized what it was... lol... It doesn't have any dirt on it yet!
   Nice job!!
   David from jax
A proud member of the Allis Express movement!
               Northeast Florida
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 9:19pm
not my definition of cobbled!!  looks pretty darn good
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2015 at 9:56pm
now if I'm drivin down the hiway and see ya mowin, I'm thinkin your lookin GOOD....I don't think anyone will say anything bad from 40 feet away(maybe closer if ya done a good job)
My WD has a great 20 ft paint job, just don't get closer an look hard
nice job, the engine work will make you feel better than the paint job

Edited by Michael V (NM) - 13 Feb 2015 at 10:00pm
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 7:01am
I like the padded back rest you put on it, will make mowing much easier on the back. I see nothing wrong with a modification like that to make life easier. What bothers me is a guy that takes tractor all apart with the intension of fixing it "some day" and you know it will never happen.   good job!!  Thanks for posting.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 7:04am
gee I got 2 here you can 'cobble' anytime !! Nice job !!
Also like the 2" receiver on the back, sure makes it EASY to haul trailers around !!!

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:28am
She's standing tall and looking good!!!! Like I say, your tractor your way.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:51am
photos look great rasman. Nice details in a lot of areas. I like the old blue hood decals. Hood looks nice and straight and shinny !  I have a receiver hitch on a couple tractors. Makes it easy on trailer pulling.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:52am
It's not called cobbled that's for shoe makers.  It's called personalized. Looks super good to me, but like was said gotta get a little dirt on it!
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
SmokeEater2 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeEater2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 10:08am
Holy cow, You brush painted that?!  I think it looks darn good!

Now, What kinda' paint and brush did you use?  If a brush would make mine look that good I'd be real happy.

Beer
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 10:46am
Nice cobble job!! Looks pretty damn nice to me also. My pal Bill will be wound up over that one. Another one of his B's ready for work again. I find that hard to believe that that's a brush paint job. Sheesh, I can't paint my bedroom that nice wita' brush!  LOL!  Time to put that ole' girl ta' work!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 12:06pm
Thanks.  I did put a lot of time and care in.  Pokin fun at myself and wanted to "give myself up" and save the correct counters from catchin stuff.   I use all my old restorations.  Makes me appreciate the history and simple nature of yesteryear.   This old 39 will be cranked and mowing a few acres once again this spring.  It may never be that pretty again but it will be running proud for another lifetime I bet.
It is Valspar AC Orange in the can from Farm and Fleet.  I mix it 8:1 with Valspar hardener.   Let it set up a few minutes and use a QUALITY brush to make sure no brush marks.   Takes 3 coats but it is simple ....like me!   It is not real expensive and somehow seems to fit what these old working tractors do.    I have had good results on my other workers !   
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 12:19pm
Those old Case's share space with ALICE... THE WALKIN BOSS!    She is without a doubt the toughest utility tractor I own.  My old backhoe is tough for what it does but my D-14 loader tractor has been the backbone of working my woodlot, putting in trails, hauling logs, plowing snow, pullin and pushin.   And my D-14 "TRIKE' is my favorite bushog mower with butter smooth power steer.   One day they will get the SPA treatment too!

Edited by rasman57 - 14 Feb 2015 at 12:20pm
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by rasman57 rasman57 wrote:

I love it! On the chance of getting arrested I am going to swipe a coupla those pictures.
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 1:16pm
I have no jurisdiction claims over in Ohio and you get DIPLOMATIC IMMUNITY since you solved a few of my head scratcher questions ....not to mention that high performance head seems to feel like an old stock car builder had something to do with it.   I can crank it and almost need wheelie bars!     It is PERFECT!     Many thanks!

Edited by rasman57 - 14 Feb 2015 at 1:20pm
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 2:45pm
Pretty sweet looking tractor, not cobbled up at all...Trev.
Dgrader View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dgrader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 6:48pm
Rasman, that is awesome. Can't believe you did that with a brush. You could cobble something up for me anytime!!!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 7:02pm
Brush painted! Wow you should do a post on the exact methods you used and some pictures as you do a panel! That looks just darn awesome and sure would save a lot of folks grief in painting their tractors and implements!
 Nice work!
 Love the Case machines and the other Allis' also! Thanks for posting!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
SmokeEater2 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmokeEater2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Brush painted! Wow you should do a post on the exact methods you used and some pictures as you do a panel! That looks just darn awesome and sure would save a lot of folks grief in painting their tractors and implements!
 Nice work!
 Love the Case machines and the other Allis' also! Thanks for posting!
Regards,
 Chris

Good point! How about a how-to thread?
tractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 7:34pm
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,    would  you mess up mine like yours?   I did see what  was wrong,  the correct police not withstanding, the image size is wrong ,  that is minor isn't it. At least on my chine it is .
Play on 38 B 49 WF , working on D14, D15 B10, Bee 12 B110. use 185 and 190
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:10pm
I am the last fella you want giving advice, but how I do it is mostly the regular method for good painting..... CLEAN, PREPARED surfaces that are primered first.   If you do not clean and prepare the surfaces, you are wasting time and money.   
Second, is the use of good brush paint like Valspar Tractor Restoration stuff.... it works!  I shake and stir it and then add the enamel hardener 1 oz to 8 oz of paint etc.  Let it set up a few minutes .  What you mix you have to use as it will not be good if you try and save it.  Mix it in a SEPARATE container so you are only painting what you have ready.
Third, use a QUALITY oil brush.  Cheap will hurt you beyond belief!  A good brush is FOR SURE one of the secrets.  Apply the paint nice and easy and KNOW THAT IT IS ONLY THE FIRST COAT AND IT WILL NOT COVER.....just a base coat.  Pay attention to edges for drips and use a GOOD LIGHT to see the surface.  I try and keep pieces flat for obvious reasons and am real light on the torque tube etc.  Do your base and then walk away and DO NOT try to call it done in one coat.  It is important if you want to end up smooth and with a good shine.

I wait at least 3-5 days and repeat the process.  The hardener is the trick as it really does magic as it ets up but it takes time.  Second coat, same thing  Nice even application filling in light spots and adding more build.  At the end of this session you should be looking pretty good and perhaps only a hint of slight shadows or markings indicating the need for more paint later.

Third time is the winner to even it all out and smooth stroke the brush feathering the end of your passes.  SIMPLE IF YOU ARE PATIENT and not heavy handed with the paint.  Understand you will initially see faint brush marks but if you feather and allow the paint-hardener to interact after you are done you will be amazed. 

Of course as you put parts together and bang wrenches and stuff you will need to touch up.  I try and do some of the second and most of the third along with touch up AFTER I have put stuff together.  Touch up of details is usually my wife with a little brush and steady hand as I stand back in my cigar smoke and smile.

Now it is not gonna be one of the fancy sprayed high build show winning deals but usually is WAY better than rattle can and I have done these in my shop with minimum fuss and save my money for the next project.   Nobody has ever asked if they were brush painted and many are shocked.    Side by side with a fancy job and of course you would know but plenty good for most of us who work em and show em sometimes too.  I would never do a truck or car but it just seems to work on my tractors.   Hope that helps.

I spent a lot of money on the paint on my old 59 Apache Pick-up cause that is a different world!  I wanted it to be PROfessional Wink  Wow I get to sneak "Old Blue" in a pic too....... that paint job is goin on 10 years old but was done by the big boys with real stuff after I restored it.  makes the old straight 6 235 engine and 4 speed easier to go down the road....it is slippery!   Enjoy.
rasman57 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rasman57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by tractorman tractorman wrote:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,    would  you mess up mine like yours?   I did see what  was wrong,  the correct police not withstanding, the image size is wrong ,  that is minor isn't it. At least on my chine it is .

I still have not got that sizing thing down...Charlie fixed one of mine before.  I downsize them but never seem to get the relationship between pic height and width right..Angry
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 8:43pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 9:14pm
I have a 48 M5 Studebaker you can work on too if you need the practice. I've had a dream for years about putting the cab and box on a circa 2000 Dodge Dakota 318 4x4 and use it for a daily driver, which is once a month to town for gas and down the road to brothers or neighbors 1 mile daily
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic