This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

windmills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: windmills
    Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 9:52pm
Les….you gots a good windmill head and fan?
Sponsored Links

Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 2:18am
I do. An I promised it to Tracy but he won't come get it!
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 7:33am
Les, it is too far. Let Shameless have it. Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 8:21am
COOL! what brand is it, is it ready to load? how much? is it a working fan? what does it need? I gots lots of questions huh?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 9:06am
 Dang,,,,I'm gonna HAVE to go see ole Les pretty quick,,,,he,,,he,,just gots lots of interestin stuff to sell or steal,,don't he,,??
  I been thinkin on them windmills for some time,,, Out here there used to be lots and lots of windmills all over the place but in the last 20-30 years they have phased em out and this year durin the Elk and Deer hunts,,,I did not see a single windmill that was complete or even been complete in a long time,,, I did see one that the tower seened to be complete but the fan was gone,,. Does anybody know why they went the way of the dinosauers? I mean,,they are free energy,,and all the wells out there are now got pumpjacks being run by small engines either gasoline or diesel,,,?????
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 1:27pm
Not many want to climb up and do the maintenance. An the young like the modern new stuffWink.  Only when its gone do we miss what use to be.

But Farm Collector magazine that just came had story on windmill museum in Texas. An a 23 year old kid that already has a bunch and fixing more.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 1:30pm
Now to the more trouble some part of this, Mr Shenanigan a windmill and a a infamous "machine". Anybody else see trouble coming?????????????????????? 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2018 at 3:46pm
 Yeah,,Ray,,I was wonderin the same thing bout his REAL reason for wantin a windmill right before winter weather sets in,,,,,,,,,
 Thas the reason I was tryin to lure him out to catch his real reasons for wantin one of them things,,,,,,,,,maybe ole Les oughta hang loose a few days on sellin till we get the real drift of his reasons for lookin,,,,WinkWink 
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 6:22am
Well I been thinkin the past few day yer question Joe, an I don't know what he's up to neither. But the only thing that comes to mind is ole Hubert.

You see those boys like Tyler an Hubert been teasing ole Shameless you know. An ole Shameless can't get thet machine to drift that pretty all the way down to the great state of Georgia. An maybe this is the boost he's lookin for?

So I figure since I'm a fair man an would share my pretty with Tyler an Hubert, I'm gonna let ole Shameless have this windmill, cause I'm curious what he can do with it.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 7:27am
Shameless, it's a Baker mill. I've had it quite a long time. It's one I was gonna restore but never did. It'/s all here but disassembled, the new parts are here with assembly instructions but never put together. It's yours fer free if you want it.

Baker mills were around these parts but were not that common here. They were made over in Illinois, I think. The well companies back in the day mostly used what was manufactured locally, and the aeromotor  windmills were made in Nebraska so they were more common in these parts. You can tell the brand of a mill mostly by the shape of it's tail, An the Baker mill had a square tail. I wanted to erect this Baker mill mainly because it was different than what everybody else had. But this other mill came along that was ready to go, so the Baker mill just remained on the werk bench unassembled to this day.

Ray is correct, If you don't do the maintenence on the mill if will self destruct. It has oil in the crankcase. And once a year a climb has to be made up the 40 foot tower to change the oil. There is no combustion, so there is no contamination found in the oil, so it looks as fresh as the day you put it in. The reason you drain it is you will find water in the oil. Condensation that forms inside the head needs to be drained out. And for some reason it's always a quart low. I was told that if you continue to run it low on oil and eventually gets low on oil enough that it fails to lubricate the main shaft. And the shaft will crystallize and break, and the entire wheel will come off, plunging 40 feet to it's death.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 7:49am
The reason I installed the mill that I did is because of it's history. The mill I have came from the original site of the Mills County Pony Express station. All that was left of the station was a brick fireplace and chimney, as the rest of the structure had fallen down around it, and the mill. Today, none of it is left as the land was cleared and a new home was built there.

But when I took down the mill, and decommissioned the well, I observed something I had never seen before or since. I could tell this well was drilled by a merry-go-round. A horse drawn well machine that spun the machine around in circles by a team of horses. You could still see the swirl marks left in the sides of the well made by the machine. These was no casing. No bricks or anything to hold up the sidewalls of the well. The diameter was large. 40 inches across, and very deep 125 feet. It took a lot of gravel to fill. I dreamed of what it was like in its day, mail arriving by horse. I was saddened in a way, taking part in erasing history, as no future generations will ever know what took place here.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 8:03am
The mill at sunset looking west

Edited by Les Royer - 27 Oct 2018 at 8:05am
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 8:22am
 WOW,,Les,,thas a great shot of times gone by,,,it's too bad some of the things that just fade in the distance,,,,
  SDo,,it must of been the "hard work" of having to climb the tower to do maintenance on the gearbox,,what a couple of times a year,,,,huh,,??  But I agree most people do want the easy things in life,,but the cheap ones,,,,er,,,,UMmmmm,,,the frugal ones,,,yeah thas it,,the frugal people don't mind a little enjoyment and still climb the towers and,,,,and,,,save a few bucks,,,yeah,,,you won't see this guy stepping over a dollar to pick up a dime,,,,,,chit,,I'll pick em both up,,,,,,Clap
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 8:49am
Les, that one is a beauty! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 9:06am
beautiful shot!

Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2018 at 3:40pm
I agree, a beautiful pic!!  What's with all the fence posts just stickin in the ground?  Is that where you is marking all of your money tins?

I've always wanted one to put into operation.  Just in case of the big explosion.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:13pm
I don't recall, Ted. But I'm thinking it was posts fer some pole beans in the garden
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:14pm
Well Shameless? Are we meetin at uncle Bucks again?
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:52pm
Shameless is going to need one BIG windmill if'n he gits me with that machine. I'll go hide out at the farm and he won't knows where I am. Wink
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 8:53pm
That is one beautiful picture! Thanks for sharing.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2018 at 10:45pm
I thought maybe Shameless wanted to be Don't Quixote.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2018 at 9:40am
I would like to have a windmill, but not that tall.
I've seen windmills in Florida that were only 12 to 15' tall.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
allis6080 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis6080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Not many want to climb up and do the maintenance. An the young like the modern new stuffWink.  Only when its gone do we miss what use to be.

But Farm Collector magazine that just came had story on windmill museum in Texas. An a 23 year old kid that already has a bunch and fixing more.

Been to that museum very interesting place. Lots and lots of windmills.
6060 s\n 5016

1947 JD B
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2018 at 3:00pm
Yes I've always wanted one but at my age it sure wouldn't be very high in the air
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2018 at 11:29pm
I'm baffled... Some people go to great lengths to buy a beat up, tangled-up 80-year-old Aermotor from a farm, and restore it to use...

There's a gal in California who drives all over the midwest to buy up old 'mills... and she re-sells them for 5-6 grand...

Aermotor is still in business, selling the same product, yet updated with modern sealed bearings, in stronger castings, better alloys... but totally same look outside, and the whole kit starts well under 2 grand...

Now... windmill size and height is all pretty simple:  it's about how much wind you have available at a given elevation above ground... and how much WIND POWER you need in order to lift the volume of water, the distance (height) you require.

Florida windmills are low, because your water table is about ten inches below the ground... that doesn't take much power to make that lift.  In western Kansas, you're lifting over 300' from the Ogallala Aquifer in many places.  You may have lots of wind, but there's hills up high, so it might take more tower to make that reach.

Both Florida and Kansas have high wind.  Florida, though, has hurricane forces.  Best not to have a large windmill turbine for that... and a really strong furling mechanism... generally a manual override on the furler so you can just lock it down for a few weeks... but keeping the tower short keeps the structure strong.   in areas with tall trees (places in Iowa and Pennsylvania) having a tower tall enough to get the turbine above the treetops is mandatory... at least... if you're planning on actually pumping water.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 5:17am
I used to go up and pull the brake lever, which swings the tail and applies the brake whenever a strong wind is in the forecast but I don't anymore. They are self regulated. If a strong wind comes up they somehow do that all by themselves. And I don't make the climb to service it. There are a couple others around that makes it worthwhile for a guy to come by and for $85 per year, he does it for me. I'm not going to risk falling off the dang thing to save 85 bucks. What I found interesting was that the brake never wears out. I asked how that is possible and he said that the brake and the the drum it rubs against are two different metals. one is steel and one is cast iron. I never heard of such a thing. You would think one would be a softer metal than the other.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2018 at 6:51am
 HMMmmm,,thas an interestin observation,,Les. One would think that one of the pieces has to be the sacrificial piece that is easier/ cheeper to be replaced. There has to be some wear from the constant friction,,but maybe there isn't any actual contact,,,?? Maybe, maybe,,maybe,,,,Chit I ain't a windmill guy,,I'm just very curious bout them things,,,just bein curious,,,
 I've just always liked the thought and idea of a windmill and since we do not have water or electricity  at the place up in the mountains,,,,I was just thinkin out loud,,,,,Clap
 when I was still workin, and during the annual Shutdowns, I always got assigned to the 268' TCC tower that is WAY UP THERE,,,!!! The stairs ended at the halfway level and it was all ladder from there up to the top. Heights have never bothered me and is sure a beautiful sight of the whole town and then some from up there,,,,,Chit,,a 40' windmill would be a walk in the park for old Joe,,,,,Clap 

Edited by desertjoe - 05 Nov 2018 at 6:57am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:45pm
I climbed a mobile phone tower once just to see what it was like, (was lots younger then) it sure was pretty up there, could see for....well a long ways! it didn't have any ladder on it, had to use the support pipes. that little red blinky light on top is bigger than you think! yeah Les...i'll take it! will it fit on my flatbed pickup? can you show me a pic of the pile so I know if I need to brings a trailer or not? that pic you showed us is a pretty one. you should enter that pic in your state magazine photo contest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2018 at 11:48pm
yeah Les....we need to meet up at uncle bucks again!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2018 at 1:18am
I know 1 went from Clarke County Iowa to Tennessee about 25-30 years ago. Dad sold it to some fellow out there. Mom and dad heard that it was never stood up after they got it out there. Guy rented a truck and trailer to haul it. It was complete, even had the wooden pump rod. I was always gonna climb it but pop said no. Back in the day when he said no, that was it, no whining and sniveling like you see in Squallmart today.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic