This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winch lift question?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winch lift question?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 5:04pm
I want to put a electric 12 volt winch, on my garden tractor to lift the snow plow! I have a few ideas, able to do the work, welding, etc. just want a idea on what brand to buy, CHEAP for sure, and any helpful hints? Anyone do this in the past? I am getting LAZY!!! Is Harbor Freight $79 winches any good? TSC any better? Low budget thing here!
Thanks, Dave
Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 5:29pm
What model Garden Tractor ?

Some models had optional hydraulic lift.

Others had optional electric lift.

Gary
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:25pm
Would have to read the specs but any $40-$80 winch should  work.
1) design your 'lift' so the winch is direct pull( doesn't use a 2nd pulley).Direct design will lift 2x faster than if you use a second pulley.

2) mount a CAR battery in the back to power the winch! You need extra weight anyway !! A BIG CAR battery will have the guts( current capacity) to power the winch.
Use it instead of whatever whimpy 'lawn tractor' battery you have now.

3) be sure all electrical connections are real good and protected from snow,salty snow, water, etc.

4) whatever 'support' system you fab up, be sure it's strong.repeated bangs, thumps, etc. can destroy 'thin tin' frames. good time to reinforce the frame around the front axle too.

hth
jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:18pm
Would you have to add another battery, if you have an older garden tractor that already uses a car battery?
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:44pm
Pick yourself up a linear activator which is basically an electric lift used under a lot of the AC /Simplicity Garden Tractors. I have one on my 716H for picking up that dozer plow I plow snow with. Its worth every cent!! You can usually pick em' up off e-bay for $75.-$125.
Steve
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:19am
Steve's got a great idea as it'll be a 'cleaner' setup just be sure it'll lift the 'dead weight' of the plow and harness.If you carefully place the plow onto the 'bathroom scale'( that nobody ever uses,hehehe), it should give you a good ballpark weight.
Also check the 'speed' of it as well.Some are slow as molasses(cheap ones )

hth
jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 3:57pm
Jay, that would be hard for me to do! We don't have a bathroom scale!! The wife never wanted one, not going any further... But that is a good idea, I did look up new ones as well, Thanks, Steve for the idea, just need to do some measure and homework!
dave
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 7:40pm
There's a couple complete units on e-bay right now. Just plug in "Allis Chalmers mower lift" On my 716H I added a weight box on the rear of the Tractor. In the box is a Group 31 screw-top Diesel Battery. That Diesel Battery powers the lift under the Tractor and operates the up n' down of the plow via a momentary long bat handled toggle switch located on the dash. A relay is wired in between the lift and the toggle. The relay takes the load off the toggle, and in turn gives the lift full power all the time for fast up and down action of that heavy plow. With the separate Diesel Battery, this allows full normal power on the Tractor for Headlights, spot light, etc. with the chassis Battery while plowing. Especially in the evening hours when I get home from work late. Depending on how much it snows, I incorporated a couple jumper lugs that are mounted through the weight box and are attached to the Diesel Battery which I can then attach the Battery charger and on occasions keep the 31 series Diesel Battery topped off so I have full power on tap for the next storm. My intention was to install a Battery Tender on the outside of the weight box, but went with the jumper lugs instead. I usually get 5-6 storms before I start to see the plow starting to slow down a bit before the Battery needs a little refresher again. With the ATV tires I have out back on the 716,
that Battery adds just enough weight for a little more bite. I didn't want to use chains and mar up the driveway, so the ATV tires and weight box work great! Plenty of bite with no tire spin even in deep snow! 
Steve@B&B
Dr.Fiero View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Fiero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 7:58pm
Do remember too that a "winch" (vs. a "hoist") has no brakes in it usually.
(used to work for a material handling company and had to stress that daily!)

If you lift your load and release the power, gravity might just pull it back down.

Current slow rides: '65 Big Ten, '79 JD 317
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Steve in NJ Steve in NJ wrote:

Pick yourself up a linear activator which is basically an electric lift used under a lot of the AC /Simplicity Garden Tractors. I have one on my 716H for picking up that dozer plow I plow snow with. Its worth every cent!! You can usually pick em' up off e-bay for $75.-$125.
Steve

I've got a 32 volt linear activator. I haven't figured a use for it yet. Is there any way it could be used with 12 volts?

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic