This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wife falling back into TV addiction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wife falling back into TV addiction
    Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:23pm
Work has slowed for me this last week, down to just over forty hours from the 60-70/week I had been putting in.  Wife has been off the Mandatory +4 ot daily for two weeks now. And I still have had the Mowing/currently snow moving, Farm Chores, Fence and gate repairs, getting cars serviced as need, paying all the bills, attending the book keeping and records work, rebuilding the KW and still keeping the house/shop/barn minor repairs up.

Average night sleep for me is five hours at best, she sleeps on couch, tells me cannot go to bed early as will awaken too early, I am up, have pot of coffee made, dressed and ready for work every day an hour before she manages to shut off her alarm, and grab a added fifteen minutes snooze time, becomes a frantic race after wasting a hour piddling on her phone then piddling in kitchen aligning her lunch materials and making two 16 oz K-Cups of coffee.  I have not ever seen her leave the house early enough to make it to work not late.

Edited by DMiller - 19 Jan 2022 at 5:30pm
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:15pm
Take it as you see it but are no free rides in My home, each pulls their own weight or cuts bait.  I take care of Farm Yard House and any other work that comes along, built a nice home I expected to be kept clean and less than cluttered.  Became a Dumpster with her shoes staged at every door, seven pairs under the seat in laundry room untouched for three years, seat is unusable as is now a box xtorage center as she hoards shipping boxes, two pair slippers aside the shower in case she forgets where she put the first pair after wearing, what should be put away laundry in multiple baskets in the floor of the bedroom(MINE I Do and put away), dog detritus everywhere with fur balls scooting across the floor and dirty foot prints adorning our Hardwood floors.  Leaves it as that and stares at the Boob Tube for HOURS.  Makes a meal, does not empty the dish rack stacks the next load of dripping dishware atop the clean and dry, not a care to do anything any form of correct and was NOT raised that way.

Was told by her, she would take ornaments off the Xmas Tree and be ready to take the fake tree down put it away three weeks ago, that happened Saturday.  Ornaments boxes I brought up from Downstairs three weeks ago and sat in the living room floor, she pushed them aside to watch TV.    Was told she would wash kitchen window of splash stains and front door glass where dog rubbed his nose on it, not been touched yet and that was three years ago, reminds me she is going to get to that.

Was told by her She would vacuum the house at least weekly(Have a whole house system, and had installed for convenience), still not been done since week before Xmas, prior to that was last week of September.  Odie the Dachsy was her Mother's dog, was explained she would take care of him and get his regular visits scheduled, I ended up with him as my duty.  I feed him, I get a yell in the morning He needs to go out, I get a commentary when he has not been scheduled to the groomer by ME.  Got told I need to work harder on cleaning the house when a drink she spilled made the floor sticky and she keeps stepping on the spot.

She wanted bird feeders, guess who refills, sets and takes down the feeders.  She wanted a better car bought her the 2017 explorer, her choice, she takes care of it as does the house, back seat is non functional as full of jackets, shopping bags, stuff she bought but forgot to unload, stuff she took to work but failed to take in, old clothes she intended to take to Church rummage sale last August.  Has not been washed since I did it last July.

Has no concept of time passed.  Doc told her she needed to lose 20 lbs three summers ago, that increased to fifty this last visit three months ago, and she whined at me the other day she is SO Tired after work she just cannot manage a exercise program or getting out to walk what the doc recommended as of 1 mile out one mile back three times per week, he has threatened to stop seeing her if she does not make a concerted effort at some form of exercise.   Looked at her car and stated is it really five years old now?  Looked at the house last week and the calendar, said man has it really been seven years this summer we moved in, she is aggravated as I am always in the yard or in the shop or on a tractor, someone has to get some things done, suggests I just need to set for awhile.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:15am
My thoughts as well. 
Wish you the best.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 7:37am
my requiring her

Told her NO

finance lecture

My retirement and driving Payroll in general is three times MORE than she makes with OT.

This is the way you tell us the story, so I assume this is how the story goes.  Though I wish the best for you both, I can't see this ending well.  
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:32pm
I feel for you. Back in the 1970's my wife was the same. Everything they talked about on "her" soap operas she took as the way life was or should be. It only stopped when she got a fulltime job at the local ladies store. Good luck with things.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 5:08pm
We were good until the TV addiction, then became Mine and Yours as to Bills, or expenses.  She saw bills for Truck or the machines or materials I was using to keep this place together, disregarded the purposing and tried to slough it off as Too much of HER money being wasted.  We had a LONG drawn out finance lecture with figures and paycheck values, she did then realize she was not quite correct.  Still tries to justify sitting doing nothing as "Needs the Down Time" but seven days a week after work and then all of weekends is a bit much for Down Time, her Sis pointed that to her and she went off on sis, has not been back since New Years, and refuses to come back until gets a apology that wife is not yet ready to give.

With my truck driving payroll, with the tax reductions for Farm Machines and Fuel, the expenses for materials as write offs against taxes we receive she now sees SHE is the 'Big Spender' and works albeit not very hard to discontinue.  My retirement and driving Payroll in general is three times MORE than she makes with OT.

Expenses for TV are being removed, closed her accounts with THREE add on systems (almost $150/mo)although still has two that required a one year contract, and is working to ween herself off the reruns kind of somewhat.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 4:48pm
Its a partnership.. Wife and i both have our "duties"... been that way for over 40 years.. We do a lot of things TOGETHER, but 50% of the time we each have our OWN interest. Money is no problem.. If you want to buy something under $100. or so, DO IT... If its a bigger item, we normally talk first.. Never had a problem with  "ours" or "mine".
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 4:35pm
Wife discounted my requiring her to attend HER New Home, so she sat and became glued to first Direct TV then as that had to have add ons bought those then started getting puffy when SHE decided MY bills were too high and she paying close to $300/month for all the added stuff with the Direct(Three YEARS Time wasted).  So she being caught decided to stop ALL electing for Computer base Streaming vids and sporadically which over a few months she began nagging was too slow as she used 99% of our monthly bandwidth in three days, Bought EXTRA Time and used that up in four more, so she got mad and went to ATT for Phone tie in service, that bandwidth was exceeded in four days.  

She then realized she had a problem, we stopped ALL the extras AGAIN.  Then she became upset she could not see at least her favored Yellowstone so pleaded to get the BARGAIN Priced DISH Network(Two year Contract pricing) which we have currently and then local NBC Station dropped DISH so she lost access to Some programs(LAW AND ORDER Reruns, NCIS Reruns, other Reruns I have a problem with) as are 'Depressing' in message they send out.  She backed off awhile then figured she cannot get certain Premium Channels to watch Mandalorian or the subsequent spin offs and the NFL End Bowl games as they are on NBC.  So behind my back bought another program at $5/month PLUS special prices for Special Run programs.  Then without telling me tried to install around locks that are in place, got more and more aggravated finally asked me to install this.  Told her NO.  She asked why and I stood in front of her pointed to items she had stated for the last several weeks 'Would Get To' that were being ignored.  She got the hint.  She did however go online and figured out how to install on the ROKU downstairs so at least she HAS to go up and down the stairs to watch anything 'Special' where has taken on her list that was being ignored.

Ongoing Saga, doubt will ever stop but should she get a wild hair she already knows she dooms herself NOT me.

Edited by DMiller - 18 Jan 2022 at 4:36pm
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:32am

Well, Mr Miller,,like most everyone here,,I truely wish you and your wife all the luck in the world and hope that not too much water has gone under the bridge to work things out and save your marriage. I will say this, and I believe you already know it,,,It will hurt both of you if the big D does happen. You built her a beautiful home and that has to be considered,which it appears she now has,,,,,Good Luck, Dave,,,,
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 7:26am
Well,. . . . seems there's a thousand things I could say.  But at the end of the day, I (we) truly don't know the whole story by what you've put on here.  Not the first time you've mentioned it.  So instead of getting out of line and probably being taken wrong.....I'll just say good luck to both of you.  
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 9:28pm
I truly hope for the best for you two.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 7:00pm
So far she is working the First List.  She understands she cannot go it alone here and keep her sanity as would essentially lose the TV anyway, so much as stated so.  With a Big "D" she would have to buy, maintain and upgrade a home without ME doing the work, she would also have to Pay Contractors for what I get done for materials only.  That arose from her OWN mind.

She evidently sat down and did some numbers crunching, what she came up with if she only eats three days a week and for under $100 a week for ALL Food, consumable soft goods, clothing, gas, utilities and keeping her car maintained she could afford basic cable NO ADD ONS.  IF she did not eat more than $100/week, not reality, one MINOR Home repair and she would be in the bank trying for a loan, on a paid for house.  Figured she could lose it in two to three years.

So she apologized and got started doing things again, will see how long it lasts.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 5:56pm
T-bone?? That run right along with " hold my beer & watch this"
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 5:06pm
Dave, you do have a dilemma on your hands. Her addiction is just as strong as a chemical or alcohol addiction but she needs to realize that she has a problem before any one or any program can help her. There are some good programs out there; Reformers Unanimous is one but I think their closest one is about 40 miles from you.

Let us know how making her a list turns out. If I tried that I would get one back about five times longer.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 1:52pm
"I would make her lists of what SHE Needs to get done DAILY"

....and you're still breathing ?
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 8:33am
yeah....
if I said that here, you guys would see a 'FREE D-14s and Kubota and implements ad up real soon !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 7:26am
"I would make her lists of what SHE Needs to get done DAILY"

Um.......
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 7:12am
Her favored shows on NBC are no longer available on DISH so has searched out to find another premium channel to see them, PEACOCK channel and without my knowledge ordered service.  Now mad that cannot get that on DISH and came to me to see what could do as to getting it on a tv in the house.  Explained she is back to not doing anything but sitting in front of one eyed brain cooker and she would need to work on her dependency of that.  I would make her lists of what SHE Needs to get done DAILY and until makes that a habit not going to assist her addiction.  

She is NOT happy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic