This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why are every CA oil filter bases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are every CA oil filter bases
    Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 5:17pm
Arched like so? The oil returns to the sump where the biggest gap is and the cork gasket certainly doesn’t make up for it, or have they just warped over 72 years or is this the way they were all made? Hmmm…. on my other CA last week, I ground it pretty flat and put a new gasket. It doesn’t seem to leak just wondering.

Y
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 5:22pm
A sharp flat file is your friend.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

A sharp flat file is your friend.

X2
Over the years the cork gasket deteriorated and when they began to leak, most thought just tight enough wasn't good enough. Everyone I've ever seen wasn't flat. No big deal just make it so.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
Real pullers don't have speed limits.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 5:56pm
YEP... gasket gets old and HARD and leaks.. TIGHTEN the bolts and bow the base... File it flat and get a GOOD gasket and your good to go.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 8:42pm
Yay thanks to all I’ve been using that file!
                          Dana
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 7:35am

Same goes for the Fuel Sediment Bowl. If it starts to drip, it needs just a little more tightening, and then a little bit more again, until you now have a stream!

G
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 2:49pm
When the gasket starts to leak, people tighten them down way too much.  That's what causes them to warp.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 5:13pm
3 minute file = done!
                          Dana
dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2023 at 5:49pm
I just rebuilt a 52 CA and didn't notice it being warped (surely I would have).  But now I'm worried :(  Anyway, it's got a new gasket and some silicone sealant on it so hopefully ok.  I did have to replace the suction tube.  It oddly had small rust pitted section only on one side of the tube about the middle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic