This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

When did orange switch to yellow?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When did orange switch to yellow?
    Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 12:05am
my HD5 was yellow!
Sponsored Links

Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 6:23pm
Remember the sales phrase Darrel, "If it aint orange, its a lemon"   Thumbs Up
Mac
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 4:25pm
I bought a model 45 road grader last summer, that is yellow, with a lot of orange showing through. I think that it is a about a 58 model, and according to something that I read once (I think in Norm Swinford's construction equipment book), you could get construction equipment during this era in orange or yellow. Darrel
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 9:32pm
Thanks Tom, with a neighbor like yours it's probably as close as we'll get with the paint question.  
Breeze View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Breeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 8:52am
my 61 d15 industrial(no lift, no pto) had orange under the yellow on the tractor but the mounted Henry loader and Henry Mark 1 backhoe was yellow to the metal.

Edited by Breeze - 20 Feb 2012 at 8:56am
ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 6:09am
My neighbor worked for AC in Springfield il. in the paint shop he told me that the Orange eqpt was sold through farm eqpt. dealers and the Yellow was sold through heavy eqpt dealers. at some time AC put on a network of heavy eqpt dealers and after awile thay complaned said oweners of heavy eqpt. were going to farm eqpt. dealers for parts so that is when thay started painting the yellow ones.to help seprate the farm from heavy eqpt. my neighbor said there was no difference in the eqpt. just color. ps. he said he had no way of knowing how much eqpt he painted but if it was made in the 50s 60s he had a part in painting it.

Edited by ctbowles58 - 20 Feb 2012 at 6:21am
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 2:46am
My early sales brochures on all the pre oil emersed steer clutch crawlers dont show any yellow. All tractors orange. The brochures on the oil emersed steer clutch tractors up to the Fiat takeover show both colors.

Edited by Mactractor - 20 Feb 2012 at 2:53am
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 9:10pm
All my early construction literature up to 1960 has all the big dozers, motor scrapers, and graders in orange. All literature with a '61 date has the equipment in yellow. Farm crawlers stayed orange after 1961.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
woodbutch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodbutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 1:38pm
For some reason my HD6 has orange under yellow. From serial # it is 1961 model. Personally I like the orange,so as parts are being cleaned,repaired, painted they are painted orange.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 3:47am
Eric,

FWIW

Our Allis "Forty Five" grader  parts manual says Persian Orange

Our Allis "45" grader parts manual says Industrial Yellow.  But to maybe blur the picture that is for graders from their plant in Australia, so could be local arrangements.

Others might finger the years of these.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 1:22pm
Holt and Best before Cat I believe would paint the construction equipment just about any color the state that was ordering the equipment wanted.  Some were orange, white, green, red and yellow.  At some point after many road construction accidents because they could not be seen very well the yellow color was adopted country wide.   
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 12:45pm
1961 was when Allis was trying to show the market that they were serious in the utility/ light industrial market. These machines were still basicly just a yellow farm tractor. By '64 A-C stepped it up a little more when the D-15 II became the I-60 and the D-10 III became the I-40. About then they also brought out the HD-4 because the H-3 was too small for most real jobs. Bigger construction machines out of Springfield were likely yellow or could have been ordered yellow long before that.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 12:19pm
Would wonder on that as of the HD5 machines i had one was Yellow under the orange. A couple of other units I seen also had yellow base paint and these would be pre 1955 machines. 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 11:50am
Thanks, I figured someone on here would have insights from the past.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 11:28am
They switched to yellow in 1961. Lots of yellow at the big dealer show in French Lick. I remember seeing the Allis display at the Toronto Farm Show in January 1961 and couldn't beleive all the yellow. I was 13 years old and it was really exciting !

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 18 Feb 2012 at 11:29am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 3:09am
I would guess it got to be an industry standard like school buses. The bus I rode in school was orange. When they finally got new buses in the 80's they were yellow.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 1:29am
I have wondered many times when Allis switched from orange to yellow paint on their construction machinery? Did color have anything to do with the particular plant where they were manufactured? It seems to me that some machines were identical, one orange and the other yellow. Thanks for your input! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic