This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wheel Removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J. Larsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wheel Removal
    Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:13pm
I'm in the process of trying to remove the rear tires and rims on a WD45.  I have no idea when the last time the eccentric bolts were loosened, maybe in 1955 when the tractor was new, and it has been painted at least once with a brush since then.  I have used a 1" impact gun that removes some very tight lug nuts on semi trucks, and it doesn't even make any of the eccentric bolt even try to move.  The tabs on these bolts are turned clockwise as far as the tabs will permit them to go, so I presume that the only way to loosen them is to go counter clockwise.  I have even fashioned a heat shield to go between the eccentric bolt and the rim and tire so that I could use a rosebud on the torch to heat it up, but no joy.
Is there a secret that I don't know about to get these bolts to come free?  All help is appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:28pm
DANG... instead of a rose bud you might try a big cutting tip to keep the HEAT concentrated on ONE - TWO of the flats of the nut... get it RED.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 3:58pm
Take the wheel center rim and tire off the tractor, lay it on the floor, face up, then take the 8 bolts out of the center that hold the eccentrics onto that center. Take a block of wood lay it on the center and smack it very hard with a sledgehammer. May take several hard direct hits. The center should fall out of the rim and the eccentrics and hardware will fall off. At this point you can start the long process of freeing those eccentric bolts up in the eccentrics. That's another post. After you get them off you'll see why they wouldn't move for you on the tractor. Years of rust.
Leon B Mo

Edited by Leon B MO - 29 Mar 2024 at 4:08pm
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 4:43pm
What Leon said^^^.  And check out the thread on the knowledge section, particularly the video(s)...Thumbs Up
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 4:58pm
 At this point you can start the long process of freeing those eccentric bolts up in the eccentrics

Has anyone tried ELectrolesis at this point ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
J. Larsen View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J. Larsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:10pm
I have the 8 bolt out, and have tried a few love taps with a 5 lb hammer, but sound like I need to get serious! 
Thanks,
JL
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;"> At this point you can start the long process of freeing those eccentric bolts up in the eccentrics</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb0, 0, 36; : rgb254, 252, 212;"><b style="">Has anyone tried ELectrolesis at this point ??</span>

Yes, I have. Of the 8 that I left soak for a couple days, only 3 needed heat afterwards
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 7:55pm

When I am doing this task, I place the block of wood - a 2 X4, or a 2 X 6, or a 4 X 4, at the outer edge of the wheel, between any 2 eccentrics.

And use at least a 10 lb. sledge, and a good strong hit.

G
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 8:35pm
I have taken the snap ring off the back of the eccentric and removed it from the housing, sand blast everything and re-assemble with some lock tite. 
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:00pm
Wd rust release has worked on every one I have tried. That stuff is magic
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:03pm

The easiest way that I have found to free up the eccentric is to take them off and heat cherry red and throw them in a bucket of cold water. They will almost always come loose

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 7:15am
I've 'cooked' a lot of them in the burn barrel. Hang them on a piece of wire over the side for easy removal, burn whatever is in the barrel and let cool. Every one I did this too came free quite easily.
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 9:40am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

I've 'cooked' a lot of them in the burn barrel. Hang them on a piece of wire over the side for easy removal, burn whatever is in the barrel and let cool. Every one I did this too came free quite easily.

x2.  I put mine in the wood stove for for night.  By morning, they will turn pretty easy.  Then remove the snap ring on the back and take the eccentric out.  Sand blast and prime everything and reassemble.

For removing the wheel center, I also do what Leon recommends.  Never fails.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic