This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wheat straw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wheat straw
    Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 1:03am
went to get a bale of straw this week, a local feed store had a bale for $9.75 each, and Bomgaars was charging $10.99 a bale there. when I was selling straw bales years ago, I thought getting $5.00 a bale was a big deal! whew! 200TOM1, Bomgaars straw comes from a farmer at Winterset IA, he brings a shed and bales on pallets to who ever will sell his bales.
Sponsored Links

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 6:29am
I'd love to have a baler that re-bales into the mini-bales they sell at Walmart for $5 per bale.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 8:51am
What are the dimensions of the mini-bales?  What is the weight of the mini-bales?
Might be fun to build a mini-baler.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 7:39pm
I had a relative some 30 years ago made a scale model working square baler that ran off air, made a bale about a foot long. He’d take that thing to shows and fairs, set it up, make bales, price them at a quarter apiece and couldn’t sell them. On a bet, he raised the price to a dollar and couldn’t keep up with demand. At at 25 cents people didn’t see any value, most that bought them were using them for rabbit bedding.
Maximum use of available resources!
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 8:02pm
Really neat that he was able to build his own mini baler. I know guys that are looking for one of those
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 8:07pm
some dude in PA is re-vamping full size New Holland balers into making them little bales, uses all New Holland parts. sells the balers, was always gonna buy one, but couldn't afford the shipping on it. said it would poop out 32 little bales a minute at normal baling speeds. if I remember right...the bale sizes were about 5x5x12 inches. I thought it would be great for the horse people.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 11:08pm
Ive met this guy but I cannot remember his name. I used to see him at tractor shows.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 6:47am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

some dude in PA is re-vamping full size New Holland balers into making them little bales, uses all New Holland parts. sells the balers, was always gonna buy one, but couldn't afford the shipping on it. said it would poop out 32 little bales a minute at normal baling speeds. if I remember right...the bale sizes were about 5x5x12 inches. I thought it would be great for the horse people.
How the heck would something that small be good for horse people?
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 5:31pm
Guy around here makes bales about a third the size of regular bales and calls them she can bales. Horse folks love them cause "she can" pick them up and she can feed the horses.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2023 at 7:24am
Originally posted by Dirt Farmer Dirt Farmer wrote:

Guy around here makes bales about a third the size of regular bales and calls them she can bales. Horse folks love them cause "she can" pick them up and she can feed the horses.
OK, now do the math on 5 inch by 5 inch by 12 inch!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 12:41am
be great for the horse people because the little kids can carry and feed the horses with them and be able to carry them. great for hauling to shows, easier to keep track of how much feed goes along to shows, one bale can feed one horse each feeding or each day depending on the quantity fed. and be alot less messy. when I was hauling horses to shows I wish we would have had those size bales. and at home it would be easier for the kids to feed while mom and pop sat in the house drinking coffee! less confusion on the amount fed each time.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 6:29am
My late father said 'if you can afford to buy a Cadillac, you can afford to fix one'....
so, if you have a 'hobby horse', you can pay for it's feed !
MAKE it EASY for them and they'll PAY large for the EASY to use bales !!

A guy my friend knew was hauling big bales from here, then shredding them, then into a 'mini baler' for the horsey folks 'down south'.2 trips a week Ontario to Florida and back.
I figure he KNEW every INCH of the highways...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 8:21am
Nothing left but the hard stuff at that point in time! 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 8:28am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

be great for the horse people because the little kids can carry and feed the horses with them and be able to carry them. great for hauling to shows, easier to keep track of how much feed goes along to shows, one bale can feed one horse each feeding or each day depending on the quantity fed. and be alot less messy. when I was hauling horses to shows I wish we would have had those size bales. and at home it would be easier for the kids to feed while mom and pop sat in the house drinking coffee! less confusion on the amount fed each time.

Well obviously we just totally disagree. I figure I was about 6 when I began feeding calves in the barn with “full size” square bales. There was a stack at the front of the barn, I used a hay hook to drag them down the alley, take the string off and kick it up to the animals. When the strings were too tight for me to slide off, I figured out how to take the hook and twist the string until it would break. No, at 6 by myself I didn’t carry a pocket knife.

The bales mentioned at a third size would be PLENTY small for a kid to manage. The size you describe sound ridiculously small. Making, storing, transporting, using would all be a PITA in my opinion.

Yep, my opinion. Like I said, we just completely disagree. It happens.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Nothing left but the hard stuff at that point in time! 

Exactly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic