This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's it worth? Version 1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's it worth? Version 1
    Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:18pm
I have a neighbor who used to restore tractors, but has stopped due to health issues.  Here is one that he is looking to sell...

1956 WD45 Diesel wide front.  He bought the tractor in pieces and has already done a considerable amount of work going through it and putting it together...
Recored radiator
Rebuilt injection pump 2 years ago
Front pivot pins redone, new tie rods
New brakes
Transmission and rear end have been gone through.  Gear shift has no slop.
Sheet metal is laser straight, sandblasted and painted
Entire chassis has been sandblasted and painted

Needs:
Seat shock absorber
Fuel injectors tested
Clutch assembly
New wiring harness
Gauges
Steering wheel
Rear rims (did not come with any) - has centers though
4 new tires

The elephant in the room:  The ENGINE.
It is completely disassembled, but he has all the pieces - new Reliance major OH kit with pistons and sleeves, felpro gasket set, new valve kit, new camshaft, reground crankshaft, new bearings.
The block has the usual cracks at the top between the cylinders, but no cracks from a frozen water jacket.  The cylinder head has a couple of cracks between the valves as well.

Safe to say he has already put a lot of time and effort into the rest of the tractor, but that engine is going to take a boatload of money to get it to work and run.

What are your thoughts?
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 9:05am
I know your not looking to rip him off.but it's a pile of parts. I'm willing to through a thousand bucks at just about any thing. Every project I've bough no mater how complete was missing a crucial part or had the wrong parts. I'd rather buy an ugly complete project that will at least drive onto the trailer than a pile of parts. That said my best purchase ever was A C that I brought home in two pickup loads. It was only $50 and I bought it for one part I needed for another one. Opener wouldn't sell the mag had to take the whole pile. It was missing a few things but I had so little money in it that I couldn't resist. I used it for20 years before giving it away. Never did get around to painting it. So it was still ugly but started on the first crank and run good smoked and used a little oil the whole time I owned it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic