This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What’s Everyone Do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 9:11am
got drafted in 65 and did not have enough sense to get out.  Confused  Did that retirement in 90 and knocked around at various jobs After that.

Now kicked back on my 5 acre ranch and enjoying the heck out of it.
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:04am
Grew up on a farm (ALL A-C) and worked for my uncle fixing cars at a Shell station part time.  RIGHT after high school, My old lady........er my lovin wife and I ran off to Niles Michigan (67) where I worked for a Co-op in Buchanon, MI for a year.  I then took a vacation in SE Asia free of charge from Uncle Sam for two years.  After I got out, I got a job as a full time Fire Fighter for the city of La Crosse, WI.  Retired after 33 years and never looked back.  During all that time, I had to pay to feed and clothe 5 kids, (1 boy and 4 girls), so I had part time jobs as a concrete installer/finisher, house and barn builder, installed windows for Auto Glass, catered and cooked for weddings etc. and tended bar.  I've been retired now for 16 years and have my hobby farm and a few (7) A-C tractors that I work with (and on).  Life is good!! Clap

My latest part time job (part time) is,,,,,,,,,,,,agitatin certain guys on the forum. Big smile
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:32am
And, Ted J, you do a good job of it!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Johnwilson_osf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnwilson_osf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:36am
I burn the candle at both ends.  I am a faculty member teaching geology at a local college.  Married my wife and we took over her family farm.  We run about 200 acres of hay and corn.  Raise beef and pork. 
Allis Express: Eastern PA on Rt 80
8050, 8010, 6080, 190, D14, DA 6035, AA 6690, 5650, Gleaner F2
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:42am
Ted, where was your base camp onn the nam vacation?

Mine was a camp Eagle between hue and Phu Bai
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 1:21pm
My brother and I bought a horse boarding farm in 2002. I am a diesel mechanic and in 2009 I built a shop on the farm and Sept 1, 2013 I went full time on my own. 5 years later I have one full time employee and the one part time employee I started with. I decided to back off the number of horses we were boarding when my brother left the farm for a job in California and to keep the pastures from growing up I started making our own hay. I bought a square baler in 2017 and the guy had a 5040 Allis Chalmers he pulled it with so I bought it too and now I have a 5040, (2) 200s a Kubota 3830 with a loader and a Ferguson 30. We bought the Ferguson and the Kubota when we bought the farm.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 6:44pm
Was a chef for 15 years, sold Schwans Ice cream for 12 years, ,managed a fast food joint for 12 years, semi retired at 62 and my old manager called one day and asked to come to work for her again at a Pilot station so until I turn 65 I will be there.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 8:00pm
Folks,
 Always interesting to read these. 
The title of the OP is: What's everyone do? 
Well the wife will tell you I do what ever I want. Some days more of that gets done than other days!
Have been retired 4 1/2 years and just like a kid in a sandbox!  60 years of school and work just cut into my "playin" time!
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Sep 2018 at 8:01pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 9:44pm
 Well,,,I graduated High School in 1965 and headed off to IBM school in Albuquerque,,,was havin a wonderful and great time,,,, til they asked me to leave,,Wink I go back home and while on a nite on the town a bunch of us decided to join the Navy on the " Buddy-Buddy Plan",,,We gets a big send-off,,everybody cryin cause Vietnam was just gettin serious,,,, While goin thru physicals,,The base Commander calls me to his office and tells me I can't go as I flunked the hearing test,,!! WHAT,,?? I wount up takin the friggin hearing test 4 times before the commander finally tells me they sending me home. I gently informed the commander all 6 of us were on the Buddy-Buddy plan and if I couldn't go,,,,,none of the others would go either,,,he told me, "Son,,your "Buddies" flew out two hours ago,,,chit,,!!
 I go home and 3 months later another bunch of us head out to California to make us a million dollars,,,,met my future wife at a Beach Party at Point Fermin when I was with another girl,,,and,,,,and,,,the fight was on,,,,,Ya see,,I was with Donna at the Beach Party and my girl cousin introduced me  to my future wife, Joyce, when Donna had to go Pee and Joyce comes over to,,,,,"talk",,,Wink bout that time Donna shows up at a very unfortunate time and starts cryin and then runs off ,,and threatening to jump  off the cliffs at the Point,,,,and,,,,and,,,there is Joyce yellin" Let the bit** jump,,let her jump",,,,,thas when I KNEW she was the one for me,,,,,LOL
 Three months later we get married in Los Angeles and decide to move back to New Mexico because of all the drugs and crime,,,Wink  We have our first of 5 boys the first year,,,,
 In 1969, I started working at the local refinery as a yard hand at,,,,$3.01/hour,,big money,,Wink I started moving up as relief foreman during the annual Shutdowns and became permanent yard forman in 1974. In 1985 I was promoted to Maintenance Dept Co-Ordinator and was responsible for instituting a grass roots "process Safety Management" program working with Federal OSHA inspectors and our system became operational within two years.In 1990 I was promoted to Assistant Maintenance Superintendent over the whole maintenance dept,,,,,lots and lots of weekends working and many,many hours worrying about keeping the plant operating and people safe.
 After 31 years, the Company went thru a "reorganization" and an early retirement plan was offered to 51 employees. Even tho I KNEW, I was one of the ones going to stay,,,I decide I had had enough and with that many people leaving,,,things were just not gonna be what I wanted to fight,,so I decide to take the early retirement. I sometimes wonder of the possibilities but after listening to the old timers...I'm glad I left,,,
 Kinda of a boring life,,,huh,,,???? 
 I started my love affair with Allis Chalmers bout 10 years ago when I was lookin for a backhoe/loader and I found the D14 Industrial in a wrecking yard. Had no idea what I had but I bought it anyway. After looking for an engine,,I find a D15 Series II LPG over in West Texas and rebuilt it while the D14 sat. Sold the D15 to an older gentleman that would not take no for an answer,,I then had plenty of money to buy an engine for the D14 and I love it,,,,,Now,,I'm looking for a certain Chevy Allis for a Parade Tractor,,,,Clap  
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 9:52pm
I will chime in...Grew up on a farm...took welding in High School, (graduated 1969) then helped parents pay my college / University by welding in the summer...majored in Manufacturing Technology...worked in Quality control for bout a year and had girlfriend... God said I want you in the seminary so my girl dumped me and so did the foundry where I was working...God has a way of being persuasive...With the help of other "hints" in my life I figured why not... so 38 years ago after several years in the Seminary I was ordained.  I have a WD-45 that I play with mostly a wagon and Oxnard blade on less than 2 acres..on my free day a week... ... ...thanks for asking
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 1:10am
I too like Steve Maskey started working at a Gulf station in 1970, then promoted to manager of another Gulf station in the same town, then started working with the Sheriff's Dept at the same time, eventually going full time with the Sheriff's Dept. did a lot of moon lighting jobs thru the years of just about anything and everything. started at the farm in 1977 when Dad retired, kept that going til 2016. retired from the law job in 2015. i'm just a bum now, started with the orange tractors in 1980 when I bought my 7010 brand new, and went on from there with a 180 diesel, and a 190XT diesel, then a 7080 came home with me one day. used it for several years then parted it out. all the others I still have and still use for various things.
matador View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:41am
Mine isn't as exciting as most of the stories here, but I help the neighbor's farm. I run tractor and drive the semis for them during harvest. I also sell computer parts on the side. Sadly the only Allis things I run are an old Gleaner F2 and an Allis field ripper. The joys of being in an area that never had an A-C dealer
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 8:47am
I've worked for the Farm Credit System since 1980 analyzing credit and managing staff to loan money to the greatest people in the world... farmers.  Own the family farm and help my buddy who farms +/- 2,000 acres.  Still have some of the family AC tractors as well as buying my own and acquiring a few implements.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 9:01am
Grew up on a diary farm and continued with the diary farm for 5 years, then spend 3 years working in the Olds factory building gas tanks for the F-85s, fell into an apprenticeship with the IBEW, a very good thing. Along the way I got into home heating work and ended up with my own sheet metal shop.
I retired from the IBEW in Feb. 2001. 
Still like fabricating and repairing things.

Dusty 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 9:08am
Gonna add to mine. Born and raised on a 2000 acre irrigated corn/pinto bean and dry land wheat farm. 200 head of beef cattle a small feedlot and 25?? Or so head of useless horses.in eastern Colorado right on the Kansas line. Gmaw died in 79 after a battle with cancer and they had to sell part of the farm to pay bills. The rest sold when I was 16. I left for Arkansas at 17.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 9:36am
I am adding to my original post. My Grandfather was the original Allis Chalmers man in our family as my Dad was an IH man. I remember the first cuss words I ever heard was my dad cussing a WD with a 2 row mounted planter!Then a 1959 D17 appeared with a 4 row cultivator attached! My granddad loved to cultivate! That tractor did a lot of work when the IH 560 diesel was not broke down! We had 45 milk cows,60 sows,120 feeder pigs and 450 laying hens. When the D17 I was not cutivating, conditioning hay it was grinding feed! On slow days it hauled manure! I pointed this out to my dad years later when he wanted to replace the 560 and IH was on strike and couldn't get tractors. So he bought a 185 which I still have! Along the way we had a 170 which replaced the D17. A 200,7000,7060 which I still have and a 8050. We also had a 560 gas that was a good tractor and a true blood IH man wanted it worse than I did! We also had a 1086 IH that was the tractor from hell! That tractor was not here very long as I traded it for the 8050! When I sold the cows I downsized and sold the 170,560 and 8050. I can honestly say the Allis Chalmers tractors gave a lot less problems than the IH tractors!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 10:46am
WOW, alot of you guys worked and retired longer than I have been around.  I grew up on a Dairy just west of Kansas City that my dad and uncle ran together until 1992 when i was 12.  After that we moved west and started dryland farming in central ks.  I graduated from college in 04 with a bachelors in Business but wasnt a desk job guy so went to work at the local coop and helped on the farm for a couple years.  I started working as a farm truck/tractor mechanic with a friend of mine and loved it until early 09 when the economy was bad and had to move on to pay the bills. I have worked full time at a rock quarry since 09. I have 5 kids 2-12 yrs old.   My Dad still farms full time and my brother with him and I have 50 acres i farm on the side as well as helping them out. We have always had orange on the farm and i enjoy using and collecting tractors and equipment, tractor pulling,going to shows and sharing orange with others.  We also do dirt work and tree removal on the side with our AC construction equipment.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 04 Sep 2018 at 10:47am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 11:17am
Graduated high school in 1965. Went to work for an Alfalfa dehydrating Company 12 HRS a day 7 days a week thru the summer then delivering pellets and sack feed to local farmers and feed lots once Winter came. I had registered for the draft at that time you could get a deferment for certain things. The Company did that for about a year finalyy I told them I was going in to the military was in Army for 2 years spent a year in Nam. Came out went to driving a dump truck made good money when the weather was warm but about starved to death in the winter had a wife and bay knew I needed something different. Came to a Steel company the guy finally hired me on the 3rd day. His philosy was if you came back on the 3rd day you proably nnede a job. Worked in the warehouse packing steel for about a year then went to work driving a truck for them delivering Steel. I now work as traffic manager for them running 80 OTR trucks and about 275 flatbed trailers delivering from the gulf of mexico to almost the Canadian Border. Been here 47 years. 70 years old may retire in January 2020. I was raised on a small family farm and we used WD and WD-45 raised hogs and beef cattle. The Aunt and Uncle who raised me were tough folks and when it came to fly the coup I did the land got sold. life goes on.
Mike
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 3:13pm
You are an amazing bunch of guys ! Born and raised in the Golden age of Agriculture.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 3:30pm
Was raised on a farm till 14 dad took job as Superintendent of local cemetery, after school worked a couple different jobs till I went to work in gravel pit running dozer, was going to get married and dad wanted me to join Ohio National Guard so people wouldn't say I got married to beat the draft, In 1965 went into army for basic and ATI and came out a medic. Started driving semi and in the next two year I missed 2 weekend meeting being stuck out on the road, bought a potato chip business to be home and gave two notice ended up in Flordia and the company was going to fly me home national guard said no don't worry come in when you get home so I went in and they told me forget in and go home. Well the forget it next thing I know is I am drafted headed to Fort Knox Kentucky and then to Georgia, ended up in Columbus, OH at Fort Hayes giving physicals for the next 18 month. Got out of the Army got a job at a New Holland farm equipment dealer & farmer, couldn't make enough money to pay off chip company so I went back to driving truck hauling livestock left that to haul steel and machinery and in 1974 quite that and went to work for the Village Street Dept. father retired in 1986 and Cemetery Board wanted me to take over cemetery Supt. job, after a few year the mayor asked if I would also be the Village Building Inspector retired and was starting to build our retirement home in 2006 and retired in 2007 and wife thought I needed a part time job so I got into Lowe's ended up in inside lawn and garden department, at the time I start a Lowe's employee could special order anything and buy it at 10% over Lowe's cost so I have the house that Lowe's built, retired again from Lowe's in 2014. While at the cemetery I bought a Allis Chalmers CA, that was what dad had on the farm, got it rebuilt so he got to drive it before he passed away in 1992, I have since redone 6 other Ac's and have 8 or 10 AC garden tractors. This past year my wife has went threw 24 weeks of chemo and Sept.13 she will be done with 4 weeks of radiation so I have been busy as a care giver now all we need to do is to get her walking better, she has neurophaty.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by HaroldOmaha HaroldOmaha wrote:

You are an amazing bunch of guys ! Born and raised in the Golden age of Agriculture.

I agree some amazing guys here.Thumbs Up

But......but ...........the smart alec Big smilejust had to say this.The history books do have a Golden Period of American Agriculture. But of course they don't all use the same years but from 1900 to 1918 when WW1 ended. Europe was out of food and paying really high price for anything they could get at the end of the war. So one bushel of wheat would buy the farmer more of everything than any other time.
Gary (sw Wis.) View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:48pm
I was raised I a dairy farm in southern Wisconsin with all AC tractors.
Then I worked for Uncle Sam for four years in the US Navy.
I worked in a machine shop and then maintenance at the local hospital for a combined 10 years.
For the last 20 plus years I have been building roll dryers for a feed ingredient company.
My wife and I also live on a small farm where we farrow out a few sows, raise chickens and custom raise heifer for my neighbor. 

Edited by Gary (sw Wis.) - 04 Sep 2018 at 7:50pm
190XT - D17 - D14 - WD45 w/loader - WD - (2)B110 - 616H - 610 - B-208 - WD with 190 Mounted Corn Picker - All Crop 60
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 1:11am
Jeremy...you still have that BIG BAD DODGE?
Animal Cracker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Animal Cracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 2:43am
Industrial maintenance mechanic for Seneca Foods.Pretty much factories most of my life,5 more years or so then i'm done.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:40am
Income to eat and generally have insurance. 1965 to 1984 New Idea Farm Equipment except 2 years in Army 1966-1968 MP. Metal stamping plant 6+ years, bread route driver 6+ years. Conagra Eckrich route driver 1 year, real estate appraisal for county taxes traveling Ohio and Indiana 6+ years and a bunch of other jobs that filled layoff times, etc.
Things I did to get ahead. Torch, truck and trailer scrapping junk, carpet sales out of my car trunk, sold real estate, bought, repaired, sold and rented apartments, houses, mobile home parks, storage units and farm land. Selling off residential stuff one by one and buying land when I can find it now.
Had heart surgury November 2017 and able to do about 50% of what I used to.
Grew up on 350 acre farms 19 miles apart with 2 row equipment, helping milk 35 cows for room and board.
Guess I just had a meal and a place to stay all this time when you get down to it.
Oh yeah, had 45, wd, wc at home and now 9 5015's, 5 runners 2 parts, and 2 that will run or may need for parts.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 1:32pm
Graduwaited (for my high school spelling teacher) high school in 1983. The day after, I started farming with my day. Been planting, cult, spraying, harvesting, and hauling corn and soybeans every since that day. I farm the land my grandparents bought in 1950 and live in the house they built in 1952.

The only planters I have ever used were Kinze's pulled by AC's(7080, 8050, and 8070"s and the only combines I have ever used were Gleaners. (N6's, R62, R75, R76, S77, and now S78. Still have my first car, 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, my original wife of 24 years, and one daughter who is wicked smart. She brings home 4.0's like I bring home pop and chocolate.

GREAT QUESTION!!!!! 5 STARS!!!!!

Edited by Unit3 - 05 Sep 2018 at 1:46pm
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 10:59pm
Gary....metal stamping job??? hope it wasn't license plates? LOL
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 11:22pm
Shameless...... No, engine mounts for Ford and Chrysler, TV frames for back when they had tubes, and other stuff.
I was a supervisor and asst. plant manager there. My boss the plant manager did go to prison while I was there. Got thirty months and served 15 I heard.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:08am
I've been farming all my life starting with helping dad while growing up. Now I'm farming with my brother on our family land. We both work outside of farming. I work for FS (local coop) as a plant manager that started as being an applicator. We have always had mostly AC tractors and still do.
Armand(AZ) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armand(AZ) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 8:44am
I grew up in a small town (150 people) in South Dakota and worked for farmers from the time I was big enough to drive a tractor.   Decided that I didn't want to be a farm laborer for the rest of my life so joined the Air Force in 1962. My last assignment was working in the comm center in the basement of the Pentagon.  I planned to reenlist, but Philco had a large ad in the paper hiring guys for a big military contract.  I went to work for them and spent two years in Thailand and three in VietNam.   Came back to the US in 1971, got married and settled in Cedar Rapids, IA where I went to work for Pan Am.  In 1975 I went to work for Rockwell Collins and spent 28 years there in management.   9-11 caused a huge layoff and I took a buyout at age 57.   In the early 90's I joined the Allis Connection club and ended up restoring 8 AC tractors.  Snowbirded to AZ for 7 years before deciding to sell our acreage and my tractors, and move permanently to Mesa where we live today.  Spend the summers in ShowLow AZ in the White Mountains in NE AZ.   30 degrees cooler than Mesa and the trout fishing is great!!!  Spend about four mornings a week in the boat.   Still build AC models in my shops at both locations and enjoy several AC visitors in Mesa during the winter months.     Don't post here very often, but still read the forum every morning!!  Armand  acmodelsofarizona.weebly.com. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic