This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What size chisel plow size for a 200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72AC200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What size chisel plow size for a 200
    Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 11:01am
I have been thinking about getting a chisel plow for my 200. I want to go with a three-point. Are they any good but I am open to pull type. I'm in Northwest Ohio. I have duals, full set of front weights and in fluid in the back tires. I have medium to heavy ground with some clay. I don't know much about chisel plow any info would help thanks.
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:47pm
I really don't know how big a chisel you want or need but you will get a lot more/better response on the farm equipment board.
AllisandGleaner View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisandGleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 5:12pm
Gonna say a 9 shank is about all you’ll want I’ve always figured 10-12 hp per shank and it all depends on how deep you pull it as well. 3pt will work the best for your tractor as you’ll be able to get some weight transfer from the chisel the only time a pull type chisel would work better is if you were dealing with a tractor with mfwd otherwise a pull type deep tillage tool is like setting an anchor in the ground behind a 2wd unit. And another thing to consider 9 shank will normally be a two bar frame and will probably work best behind the 200 a 10 shank will be a 3 bar and will make you light on the front end and especially if you hit a hard patch 3 bar will give you better trash clearance and a high clearance 2 bar will also have better clearance over a normal one. Hope that helps a little.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:08pm
We had to remove 2 shanks of a 7 shanked PT chisel plow to get any type of ground speed/soil-fodder ratio with an XT 190.
mruhlig77 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mruhlig77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2021 at 1:00pm
The weight of the tractor is the limiting factor.....HP is there for 5-7 shanks at a reasonable depth...and how many acres do you have to cover....Mark
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 7:43pm
7 shank 3 pt is a tough pull with 38” in our clay ground. What are you wanting to chisel? We went back to plows in sod ground or a heavy disc for crop follow up. Seemed there wasn’t much soil benefit, pulled a lot of hp, and some mean rough ground to smooth back out.

Edited by allisbred - 26 Dec 2021 at 7:52pm
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2021 at 8:58pm
NO more than 7 if you want any depth.                   MACK
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 7:19am
I pulled a 7 shank min-til with a 101hp 190XT weighted just as your 200 is rated,  2" twists, about 8-10 inches deep in high second with no trouble, clay loam.  Speed may have been a little low, but the ground shattered very well.  Northern Illinois ground.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 8:15am
To pull anything that is high-draft, it takes traction. Traction requires good tire tread, proper air pressure and enough weight on the tire to pull the implement. Bald tires get nothing done. Good tires on a chassis that weighs less than 100 lbs per PTO HP don't get much done either. Engine HP determines how fast you can pull the implement, not whether it will pull it or not. A model 200 tractor with 18.4 x 38 good condition tires with full fluid and front weights should be adequately weighted to pull what you want in high second gear.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 9:56am
Glencoe made a 7 shank Soilsaver disc chisel....only seen a couple....thought they would be a good fit for the 190/200's. Worst thing about straight chisel is dealing with trash. If you have to disc first,you destroy your traction for chisel.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 5:33pm
Theres an Allis mintill on Aution time or Big Iron - cant remember which one 
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2021 at 8:05pm
Had a 3pt. 7 shank chisel, we pulled with 1175 Case. But Had it tied to 400 bushel wagon several miles away, wanted to chisel some ground along creek tried the AC200 it couldn't hack it. We took the 2 shanks off and did my chiseling with it about 12 - 15 acres, gear 2, PD in Hi. Both tractors w/almost new Firestone F&R tires [loaded] & good 50%+ duals.
That's the difference in +3000 lbs and 25 more hp in heavy wet clay. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 9:27am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Glencoe made a 7 shank Soilsaver disc chisel....only seen a couple....thought they would be a good fit for the 190/200's. Worst thing about straight chisel is dealing with trash. If you have to disc first,you destroy your traction for chisel.
I think I remember seeing a 5 shank Glencoe too once at Isaacson Implement (now closed) in Nerstrand MN and I believe if memory serves that he had a 5 shank Min-Till also. That was maybe 5 years ago give or take. I thought those would be perfect for a 190XT, 200 or 6080. I didn't know they made them that small until I saw those two.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

7 shank Glencoe’s were a dime a dozen they made a few 5 shanks also.  Day in and day out the 7 was all a 7000 ballasted up with duals could properly handle. Yes to work the garden I’ve hooked it to the 6080 but that was pushing the envelope a bit.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 1:19pm
Pulled a 10 shank chisel with the 190 with 23.1 tires,i just set the stops on the ram to where i could pull it good. Thing is with a 5 shank soil-saver they are a good match for a190/200 without duals but not wide enough if running duals, one tire is in tilled soil. 7 shanks would be good with duals but depending on soil you are going to have your hands full horsepower wise. 3 point a 7 to 10 shank chisel should be ok
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:09am
I have a 185 and a 7 shank 3 point Massey Ferguson chisel plow. I did about 2 acres of medium soil this spring. Had no power issues at all, but had trouble getting traction with the 185. I have 18.3x28's full of fluid at about 60% tread.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 11:33am
Traction Booster working ??   That's the one huge advantage of pulling anything fully mounted, is being able to use the Traction Booster system.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 12:32pm
The traction booster was working, but the operator wasn't... I was messing with the levers and about the time I was figuring it out, the clutch started slipping. Point is that in my soil, I had tons of power but was likely on the edge of my traction capabilities.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 6:44pm
Are you sure it was a chisel plow ? Not a field culivator ?Seems like alot for a 185 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

Pulled a 10 shank chisel with the 190 with 23.1 tires,i just set the stops on the ram to where i could pull it good. Thing is with a 5 shank soil-saver they are a good match for a190/200 without duals but not wide enough if running duals, one tire is in tilled soil. 7 shanks would be good with duals but depending on soil you are going to have your hands full horsepower wise. 3 point a 7 to 10 shank chisel should be ok
That 10 shank and a 190, 3 inches deep by any chance ?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Are you sure it was a chisel plow ? Not a field culivator ?Seems like alot for a 185 
A Min-Til goes a lot deeper than any of those old chisel plows. I pulled a 9 shank MM chisel with no problem all the way in the ground in 5th gear with a 190XT. No power or traction problem at all but the chisel wanted to jump out of the ground some years when it was hard. My 9 shank Min-Til can stop my 7050 in hard conditions but at the same time it pulled an old 12 shank bush-hog like it was hardly there. 
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2022 at 9:49pm
No, more then 3  inches we had straight spikes on it and you do have 10 hp per shank besides that we have fields you don't go all that deep because of stones. You can pull an 18 ft field cultivator more then 3 inches deep. You give a strong running 190 or 200 too  little credit

Edited by DanWi - 04 Jan 2022 at 10:01pm
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 12:05am
I pulled a 7 shank pull type with my 200 in the spring. Twisted shovels did a good job. I had a 3 point JD and only used it once. The plow sat so close to the 18.4x38's I could not get between the tire and plow to hook up the 3 point hitch arms. I have real good loaded Firestone traction Field and Road tires on the back. The Doc is right, you Ned good rubber.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 6:18am
Think we are mixing up implements a little. Not sure you want a chisel plow or a vertical tillage ripper type plow. Rippers pull a lot deeper and therefore do a lot better job of breaking up hardpans/soil compaction issues. Don't see a lot of chisel plows anymore.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 7:06pm
Exactly Dr P. - pretty sure we,re talking about diffent plows
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2022 at 9:02pm
A WD and WD45 pulled a one shank "ripper" subsoiler. So, a 185 should pull two or three ??
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

No, more then 3  inches we had straight spikes on it and you do have 10 hp per shank besides that we have fields you don't go all that deep because of stones. You can pull an 18 ft field cultivator more then 3 inches deep. You give a strong running 190 or 200 too  little credit

No, you are embellishing on the depth/tractor ballasting scenario Wink !! Our XT190 is ballasted WITH factory wheel weights (in and out) and the drive tires are filled with fluid. She's also dualled up WinkWink.
5 shanks93" twisted) of a P/T chisel in clay/loam will bring her to her knees, and I NEVER liked doing that to the old GAL Smile I will miss her dearly Cry

Edited by FREEDGUY - 06 Jan 2022 at 6:23pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 9:30am
Allis offered a No. 44 snap-coupler two shank sub-soiler, (never seen one) expandable to three shanks. I have a manual for them, it shows one coupled to a D-17. I think that would be a load for a 17. A third shank would work a 190 pretty good, at least in the kind of dirt I'm familiar with!
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:48pm
I ran a 5 shank 3pt Mowhawk chisel plaw on my XTD. Loaded single tires Plenty big if you ran it deep.2nd hi.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:59pm
If you are in an area that has rocks, be prepared for a bumper crop the first 2-4 years after you start using a chisel plow.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic