This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what kind of truck do you prefer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what kind of truck do you prefer
    Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 4:07pm
I have been a Chevrolet/GM man all my life thanks to my Dad. Growing up on the farm in NY he had a 1969 C10 2WD as long as I could remember. I have no idea how many miles he put on it but remember him talking about the 4 engines he went through(started with 2-6 cyl before swapping to 327 V8s. It had a HD 4 spd manual. The frame was welded/reinforced many times due to NY winters until it couldn't be done anymore. In winter, he would put wheel chains on and a 1000 lb cement block in the bed. That old truck would go many places no 4WD could when it had to. Hauled anything he needed to year round for our 105 cow dairy farm and his tractor hobby. I learned to drive with that truck doing farm errands before I had a license. By the time I got a license in 1988, Dad had replaced it with 2 trucks. A 1972 C10 with 3 spd on the column as a go to town for parts/supplies truck and a 1978 GMC K35 High Sierra 4WD dually with stake racks for the heavy stuff. That old GMC is history now too but I would put it up there against ANYTHING made today by ANYBODY. They couldn't touch what I've seen that truck do in its prime. If I had the funds, I would love to have a new Chevy Duramax/Allison  dually with trailer to haul the ACs around because I believe them to be very stout and good looking trucks as well.
Alas, for now, my daily commuter is my 1996 S10 4cyl/5 spd 2wd plain jane I bought brand new and has faithfully served me all these years. So, if you'll excuse me I need to go do her 189,000 mile service so she is ready for Monday AM to start yet another week.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Sponsored Links

ACD19farmboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACD19farmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2011 at 2:14pm
First Gen, Dodge Ram Cummins with a 5 speed 4x4!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what would be awesome is a 78 Chevy 4x4 with a XT engine and a 5 speed!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 10:28pm
And dancing theirs off!!!!
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 10:23pm
lmao
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:58pm
He can't see very good .
junkman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:58pm
Iv'e drove them all and have had good luck with them all, but I do prefer Ford. Bought my 99 for $2500 and found it to be the best money ever spent. It was just what I wanted no bells and whistles, no AC and came with a 5 speed behind the 5.4. Just love it.
jhid View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Ryan Renko Ryan Renko wrote:

Theres the dancing mouse!! My evening wouldnt be complete.
laughing*
red and green are nice for christmas, but orange is all year round
http://www.canadianantiquetractor.com/tractorforum/
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:50pm
Theres the dancing mouse!! My evening wouldnt be complete.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 9:33pm

PS. I don't have a problem with this being in this forum. Childish remarks and whiners is why it has taken me so long to come back to this forum. And since the age issue was thrown out there at some point, I'm 35. Grow up people! I feel like I'm back in kindergarden.
[/QUOTE]

I think you are whinimg

This is entertainment.
Dean/MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean/MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 8:39pm
A guy working for me has a '05 Ford 250 P-stroke that is starting to get rust bubbling under the paint on the box in many spots. The tailgate is also getting  some rust on it and he had to put rust stop on the rocker panels last year. My chev is a year older and has no rust. I think thats a good reason to stay with Chevy. As to you guys that talk about power I'd put my Duramaxx up against any Found On Road Dead or Dogde!
HD16,917H,185,7050,8030FWA,8050FWA
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 8:19pm
Dodge:

But the Chevy behind it has a special place in my heart
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Jamie (KY) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 8:00pm

Dad owns a '05 2500 Dodge with the Cummins. He paid for the truck. He pays the fuel bill. He paid for the gooseneck flatbed deckover. He paid for the tractors. I guess I'd have to say DODGE.

Yeah... I'm spoiled just a little bit, but dang does he work the crap out of me to make up for it!

PS. I don't have a problem with this being in this forum. Childish remarks and whiners is why it has taken me so long to come back to this forum. And since the age issue was thrown out there at some point, I'm 35. Grow up people! I feel like I'm back in kindergarden.

Edited by Jamie (KY) - 08 Aug 2011 at 8:08pm
Just when I thought I was finishing my "honey-do-list", she turned the page!!!
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by ky wonder ky wonder wrote:

Originally posted by wheatbreeder wheatbreeder wrote:

ford used build tractors
CHEVY BUILT A TRACTOR FOR A SHORT TIME

I've seen one of those. It is at the show in Renfro Valley every year. I think the guy said it was 1 of 5 made.
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
ky wonder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 11:45am
Originally posted by wheatbreeder wheatbreeder wrote:

ford used build tractors
CHEVY BUILT A TRACTOR FOR A SHORT TIME

GMC

1995 GMC SONOMA W163000MILES
1999 SIERRA 2500 W 230000 MILES
2007 SIERRA 1500WT W 65000

BUT I WANT BUY A NEW ONE AS LONG AS THE GOVERNMENT IS IN CONTROL OF IT

AS FAR AS CLASS 8 TRUCKS, THERE ARE ONLY TWO KINDS OF GUYS WHO DRIVE 379 PETES, OLD PROS AND ASREHOLES

I WOULD RATER PUSH A 13LETTER POOP SPREADER (ih/NAVISTAR) THAN DRIVE ANY OF THE OTHERS

Edited by ky wonder - 08 Aug 2011 at 11:54am
i like old tractors of all colors
Gary (sw Wis.) View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 11:39am
If it my money I buy a Ford. Since it's not my money I don't have a say.
190XT - D17 - D14 - WD45 w/loader - WD - (2)B110 - 616H - 610 - B-208 - WD with 190 Mounted Corn Picker - All Crop 60
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 7:11am
Just like the editor of Diesel power mag said. If you want a hotrod get a Dodge. If you want a workhorse get a Ford. If you want a truck to go to town and go shopping get a Chevy. I would not even test drive the foreign brands. It's bad enough that GM uses an Isuzu diesel shipped here for us to do the machining and put it together. The best part of a Dodge truck(engine) is not Dodge. And a Ford dually cost more than I paid for my house and barns even when it's a few years old.
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Andrew(southernIL) Andrew(southernIL) wrote:

Definitely Gm, The ones Ive been around just hold up better especially the interior, seems like most ford from the early to mid 90s Ive been in I had to roll own the window to get out cause the inside handle was broke off, and couldn't lock the doors on a couple from the early 2000s cause power locks were screwed up. I do think they are making a better truck now than then but so is GM. Also GM seem to be better balanced with weight cause Ive seen on many wet boat ramps a ford spin out but the GM walk on up it, not really a power issue just a weight and traction issue. 
on my granpa's 99 chevy 2500 the door handle b roke on the inside and we have to roll down the window.. but he got a new truck.... now i get to roll down the window!!
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
Amos View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 6:39am
Freightliner and Dodge, with and without Cummins power
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 11:05pm
Definitely Gm, The ones Ive been around just hold up better especially the interior, seems like most ford from the early to mid 90s Ive been in I had to roll own the window to get out cause the inside handle was broke off, and couldn't lock the doors on a couple from the early 2000s cause power locks were screwed up. I do think they are making a better truck now than then but so is GM. Also GM seem to be better balanced with weight cause Ive seen on many wet boat ramps a ford spin out but the GM walk on up it, not really a power issue just a weight and traction issue. 
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
Jason(OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 11:02pm
The only Ford I've ever owned, a 96 F-250 Powerstroke, I spent more money fixing it than I had on the previous 4 GM trucks combined! Give me a GM truck any day, even tho' they did take a bail out.

P.S.,
It was tax payer funded bail out not a government funded bail out.
And not that I'm defending the man, but Obama didn't bail out GM and Chrysler, it was G. W. Bush and the democratic controlled Congress!
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 10:59pm

COMPANY TRUCK!!!

HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 10:18pm
I prefer a Ford F150. I have owned several of them. I like them all though. I could drive a Chevy or a Dodge too. I just perfer a Ford. I now have 1992 F150 4X4 and I love it! It has 150,000 and the box above the rear wheels is rusting...trying to decide what to do about that!? I love my front wing side windows the old pickups had! I used to drive 2 wheel drive pickups back in the 70-80's but since having a 4X4 I do not know I could go back to a 2 WD. I get 17 mpg with my 4x4 now, in the summer driving mostly on highways..My pick up sees a big difference in mpg in running regular gas over ethanol gas! So much so I only buy non ethanol gas now...lots cheaper in the long run.
Pastor Mike
Pastor Mike
KD in SE Ks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD in SE Ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 8:26pm
The question was "What kind of truck do you prefer?" I prefer a 1/2 ton to ride around in, its easier on an old mans bones. But I work out of fat ton truck everyday.
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 8:06pm
Amen Boogerowen!!!  Lets keep this forum friendly and keep the antimated antics to yourself.
q4016lanz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote q4016lanz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 7:52pm
Yes brian no snow or salt on the roads in queensland were i'am we dont even get winter frosts here. There is not many old chey luvs in australia i would like to find a 1976  4x4 chev luv in as good condision in QLD for my son. cheers john
15 allis chalmers tractors

9 lanz bulldog tractors

2 water cooled deutz

9 john deeres tractors

14 Aus made orange chamberlains

I spent most of my money on old tractors I wasted the rest
Boogerowen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogerowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 2:24pm
Now I am just an old country boy, but it looks like some of you immature young fellas need to respect the reason for this forum and to have enough respect for its intent to stop posting stuff that is designed to start a ruckus...
We were all young at one time and have all been through what you are feeling now, and we all lived through it, and so will most of you if you are smart enough to be a little more humble and learn a little more from your elders..

GOD BLESS THE LITTLE CHILDREN, AND HELP THEM !!!!!!
Russ SCPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ SCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 11:59am
Ford F 350   Dodge 2500  
Ford's have to be tough to stand up to what this truck goes through!
Personal truck
This is one of my son in law's trucks,
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 9:53am
Originally posted by q4016lanz q4016lanz wrote:

Originally posted by q4016lanz q4016lanz wrote:

I haul with a aussie IH truck for the heavy tractos
and hauling smaller tractors usually a allis on my f350
And for the litle jobs chev luv  
I had  a couple of those LUV trucks. I've never visited down under, but I'm betting you don't see snow/salt on the roads there. The first one I had was an 81 and it ran like a new one but was totally rusted. I found a 79 4X4 that smoked. I pulled the 81 engine, put rings, rods, mains, and a valve job in it. Stuck it in the 79 and put 250K miles on it. Sold it to a friend and he still drives it. Looks like the only difference I see from the U.S. version is the RH drive. The step side box was few and far between here.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Fastest on race day
to break down!
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 8:34am
Dodge or GMC. I've good luck with both. 
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic