This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is your winter tractor project?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 10:22pm
Get my D17 LP running, now have to free up the clutch which seems to be rusted tight and won't release. Lots of rust on the trans input shaft.
Sponsored Links

BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 10:32pm
Finish This......
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Protrucker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Protrucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 10:39pm
I want to go over my B end to end.
Things that I know needing attention:
- Left brake isn't working
- wiring isn't right (probably complete re-wire)
- lift cylinder needs rebuild or replacement (leaks down real bad)
- check on starter ring gear (probably needs replacement)
- remove broken bolt where side weights bolt on
- replace shifter boot
- change steering wheel
- mount rear wheel weights
- check final drives over
- change all fluids
I also have work to do on my Ford LGT165, Ingersol 4016PS, & Case 444 garden tractors.  Reconditioning projects are:
- plows
- snowblowers
- mower decks
My Case 580B has a few hydraulic cylinders that need rebuilding and I have to address an issue with the starter too.

Probably all of that won't get done because I'm still trying to finish my house rebuild project. I really wanted to be done with the house before now, so that we could be moved into it for Christmas. The flooding around here really slowed things down & now it's deer season, so it'll probably be after the new year before we move in.

Edited by Protrucker - 05 Dec 2011 at 10:46pm
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 12:12am
My goal for the rest of this year is to get the C that's been sitting in the shop for a little over a year back together and running.  There is also a IHC super A behind it that needs about 8 hours of work before it can drive out, it's been in there for 3+ years.  I need the space to bring in my AC forklift to repair the bad bearing in the water pump and fix the loose steering.  I will also have to figure out why it only has 5 lb of engine oil pressure.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 1:48am
gonna replace thewater pump on the 7010! and tear down the dash/cowling on the 180, and find out why there were flames coming out the bottom!! it still runs and starts fine...but something was on fire down there!
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 5:15am
I am going to finish my shop so I can work all next winter in there on everything.  My wife figures that once I am done, she will never see me again in the evenings and weekends!!
'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:22am
This will be the winter of "catch-up" for us with the business. Still trying to get the new electrical shop set up in the basement along with the computers, printers, etc. This coming Spring, plans for a new 30x64 pole barn are on the list. I have a lot of projects, but no place to do em' this winter till the barn goes up. I'll have to tarp everything up tight this Winter. The Tractors will have to stay out in the cold n' snow. Bummer! Oh well, the car projects are in the garage on the house. JoAnna keeps telling me: "its only temporary Honey"........ I hate the Winter months!!  I need to move out next door to Armond in AZ. where its warm!!   LOL!
Josh Day View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Day Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:26am
I'm going to finish my great great grand mothers 1948 John Deere model A, and then some work on my CA hopefully.
SenseiCrusher View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SenseiCrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:22am
Add front PTO pump on my newly rebuilt 1959 D17 series 1. Also redo all the hydraulics for controlling the 3 point and loader curently it is a pain to shuttle controls.
Replace the rear drive bearings on my 1959 IH T340 4 in 1 bucket cralwer/dozer.
I dont have a shop like so many of you so I have to do all my work in the driveway, sigh.

Edited by SenseiCrusher - 06 Dec 2011 at 8:24am
wbecker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 3:28pm
I have 2 this winter.
I'm working on a low B, and also on an IB restoration.

Allis B, IB, Low B, G, D10, JD M, 8KCAB, C152
tractorchuckie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorchuckie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Larry(OH) Larry(OH) wrote:

I am going to finish my shop so I can work all next winter in there on everything.  My wife figures that once I am done, she will never see me again in the evenings and weekends!!
that's funny I was all day finishing the insulation and vapor barrier the shop. The plywood is comming the first of the year and paint. Really hopeful that I can  jump in head first on the model A buy late January. ( my wife can't wait for me to move in and out of her house ) LOL
still looking for the holy grail of Allis
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 5:13pm
I'd like to tinker with my '39 B a little more and swap some parts from the '40 onto it, but I need to fix up this Gravely first.

1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 5:45pm
Well, I have this D19 that I brought home last fall from Nebraska.  Bought it with a bad clutch and since got that changed out and it's driving around again. 
   Got to finish getting it running up to snuff, and put on the new/used radiator shroud I picked up and then I am taking off the wide front and putting on a narrow front and taking off the rear adjustable rims/tires and have a set of bolt on hubs and dished rims with 18.4x38 tires and gonna get it all set up for pulling next year.   Also have plenty of other work on all the tractors, wiring harness for the D15, charging system on the D17, and the HD3 to finish and take out and play with in the winter( I don't get yelled at for cutting up the lawn when its all frozen!!)
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
John R. Mrotek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John R. Mrotek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:19pm
I am building an articulate turning half scale Allis G. it will have 14 inch wheels,
power steering. the sheet metal will be like the G sheet metal. The motors, one front and one in the back are from Gravely riding lawn mowers. I did a full scale double G with dually several years ago and it gets lots of attention.
cornbinder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:54pm
mikefoxFARMER View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikefoxFARMER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 8:55pm
hi guys, new to the forum here, been reading it for awhile, figured, since im restoring a wc and we own many ac's allready, i should join up!.my restoration is my GREAT grandfather's first tractor when the immgrated from russia, a 1939 allis WC styled, sat in barn for a loong time and hasnt been touched, hoping to have it running by next summer for parade. anyway i got a problem with it though i figured you guys could help me, how do i take the starter off , ive taken the bolt off the L/H side of the tranny case where the starter mounts, but it just wont budge! :S i have no idea how to get it off, soaked it with WD40 hoping that would help, any suggestions? or am i doing it wrong?

cornbinder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:07pm
that's my dad's and my d-19 we picked up above. over the winter we are gonna pull the fenders off, replace the tool box, replace the brakes, petronix electronic ignition check into a small p/s leak and possibly replace the rims,tires with a real nice used set we found. so far all fluids changed, upgraded the hydraulics to 2  valve/dual remotes rebuilt the seat all new bushings& hardware and  new seat pads. gonna get it ready for spring we have some ground to get ready. i'd lke to pull it in stock farm if i have tme to get it prepped for that.
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:18pm
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
daveingreenbay View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveingreenbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:33pm
Working on a `52 Massey Harris 44.  The only off-color tractor in the stable.  An old guy walked into my shop about 2 months ago,  said he had an old tractor with a stuck engine.  He owned it for 35 years and was giving it up on it.  I asked "how much" hoping I could head for the door regardless of the amount.  When he said it`s "free", you can have it, I went and got a chain and towed it a short distance to my shop, and have been working on it since.  Feel like a "duck out of water" with this thing.  He said he was going to call a scrap yard if no one wanted it.  Turning into a money pit.  Engine rebuild, brakes, wiring, starter, generator rebuild.  Rim repairs from calcium chloride and that`s just what I`ve found so far.  So far I have $1500 in a "free" tractor that`s worth maybe $2000. 
wayneinwi. View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayneinwi. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 9:53pm
Working on an IB and a RC, not sure which one will get done first...Wayne
TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 7:19am
Setting up the cultivators on my C for the garden this spring.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:30am
Currently have a WD-45 torn down that had low oil pressure.  Got into it and all the rod bearings were spun, have not heard back about the crank to see if it could be ground or not.  A complete overhaul in the works for that one.  Also have a IH 706 in the shop for injection pump rebuild, new water pump etc.  Later in the winter I have a D-14 to start full restoration on.  And if time permits, a WD also in need of an overhaul.  Luckily these are all customers projects so these will all be income to me.  The only thing of mine I will be working on will be going through and rebuilding the injectors in the 180.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 9:34am
Hager,

When a tractor engine spins one rod bearing, what type of damage is typical, beyond the rod and crankshaft? Are other engine parts affected? thanks

Edited by Don(MI) - 07 Dec 2011 at 9:34am
Galatians 5:22-24

"I got a pig at home in a pen and corn to feed him on, All I need is a pretty little girl to feed him when I'm gone!"
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:03am
D17 Diesel engine rebuild, then power director set up.  Brake job on 51 WD with the original brakes, (wish me luck on that one).  Replace head gasket on WD45 diesel, leaks water out the front, no lost compression.  Start on IB for granddaughter.  Then after Christmas......   LOL
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:31am
2nd and 3rd gears in a WD-45. Anyone whos done it knows that means not much left except engine, frame rails and a shop floor covered with parts.  Also need to rebuild the 220 hydraulic pump and finish up my latest engine project, a 4HP Bamfords diesel.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 10:57am
It is sure neat to read about all your projects. And to see the photos of them and the shops that you have! ! I would sure like to have a D19 someday. But I have too many jects ow and need the money to finish them! I have a Coop/Cockshutt 30 that needs a bunch of work! And my WD needs 12 volt light bulbs put in it. And my wifes' 42 C needs some work. We have it scheduled for engine over haul, a young man in church is taking a Junior College Tractor Mechanics course and he needed a project or 2 to work on...so the C is one of his projects in late winter or next spring. I am looking forward to hearing the little C run good!
I also have a Ward's Chor track walk behind tractor that needs restored and a different motor put on it. And I have bee hives to make! So no shortage of work here!
Pastor Mike in Iowa
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 11:22am
I'd just soon wait till its done before I show you..........
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 11:22am
Working on the Ferguson.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
ky wonder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 11:43am
some nice peojects their but i will only be greasing and doing normal maintancence this winter, on my current stable of tractors and implements, for next spring,
i like old tractors of all colors
D17JIM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 11:57am
I need to work on a couple of oil leaks on the back axle of my series 2 D17.  Leaking out of the brake holes. Not bad but would like to fix.  Power steering leaks oil some where at the bolster.  I use it the most in the winter for snow removal on my small drive and 2 neighbors drives.  So probably will be spring until I get to do it. Don't need it torn down when snow flies.  I guess I need 2.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic