This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What dozer would you buy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What dozer would you buy
    Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 4:23pm
If you had a choice between an allis 3=4=5=6=7 which would you buy and why.
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2015 at 5:42pm
Having a HD5G I can say for it's time it was fine, at same time i had a HD4 loader - lighter - faster - more problems ,  HD5B not enough power for jobs I did with 9' blade - underpowered. 
 If your talking early or late HD7 makes a big difference .

I now have my HD5G yet but have a FiatAllis FD5 which is a lot more machine than the old ones - IF I could find one or was to buy another a FL5 or FL7 would be my choice now to come into the modern times ,
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Dozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 6:37am
I had a HD5G that was great. I now have an HD6G that is a little better than my old HD5. I also have the more modern HD7G that does not get used because of the complex hydraulics that were always in need of repair. If you don't depend on your dozer for income then the best machine is one that you can fix yourself. If your income depends on your dozer the new machines are more productive
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2016 at 7:05am
y HD5 always did what I wanted it to do, have never owned any others to compare.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 9:49am
I have had several hd6g's, later ones had updates making them better them earlier 1's, lost most of the use of left arm , could not pull the clutch when needed, so I got rid of the last 1 a year ago. You did not say how you were going to use it, I would not want anything under 30000 lbs with a blade on it for cleaning up around the farms.   
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 10:03am
HD11 with blade is great for around the farm. Piles the manure from the cowyard fast.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 3:07pm
I also vote HD-11----I think they had the 45 motor grader engine in them,--516, with gm supercharger on them when used in the grader---I had a 45 and it was powerful! thanks; ac fleet
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 8:57pm
AC Fleet

Nitpick.  The correct Allis grader designation is "Forty Five" if it has the supercharged Buda, "45" if it has the 10000 direct injection.  (e.g Parts Lists, Form TPL-272 B and Form TPL-411 Australian edition)

The supercharger might look like a GM but it was made by Sweitzer - or at least that is what the tag on ours says.  It is cast iron and heavy.

Both dozer and grader engines were 516 CID but the supercharger grader engine (ADS 516) has a longer front bearing on the camshaft and various differences around the timing cover area to do with the supercharger drive.  I don't know if the longer bearing was continued when Allis started driving the cooling fan off that pulley.

We've put a "Forty Five" back into action - hence the parts books!  There are some posts earlier here around that project.  And I agree that they are pretty effective and adequate for our ranch needs.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:23pm
The engine block had Allis- Chalmers cast into the side of it.--the supercharger was cast iron and was driven by 3 vee belts . thanks; ac; fleet

Edited by ac fleet - 11 Jan 2016 at 9:25pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 2:49am
ACFleet

Just passing on things I learned on the front line of keeping them going.

Some days the retreat line might be preferable but then it would be scrap.

No way if you can make Scotchenomics work.  Ours has already payed for what we did.

And for irreverent comment

I invited the bloke who was driving it when it blew up to come and have a listen.  He did, then turned to me and said "It will see you out".
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 5:34am
AC Fleet

And I won't argue with your choice of an HD 11 though I get to that horsepower range via an FA 10 - which is what Fiat thought one of them should look like (same as an Ac forty is what Allis thought a Cat 12 should have looked like)

Big enough for most things on a ranch, small enough that one man can handle most things when fixing.  Our parts supply is excellent.  And I'm not sure that Fiat didn't use HD 11 track chains - dimensions seem close and the only non-metric bolts are the 5/8 ones in the tracks
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 8:49am
Kindof wish Allis had never made the merge with Fiat and survived the bad times.  If they had I would go for a improved version WITH Allis or Cummins engine of the FL10 or FL14 series loaders, would have been hard to beat.  HD11 and 11b or 10b would be good choices on straight blade machines.
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 3:02pm
I really liked my HD6G but that was when I was younger and could pull them levers.
It wore my ass slick when I was on it for 4-6 hrs straight but got a lot done.
but then again it was a loader dot a dozer, a dozer may not be as demanding on the body. 
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:16pm
Yes Ian the FL10 series used the same but slightly metric dimension rails as the old HD11 and my 7G, cannot find any of that size now. 7" pitch 177.8mm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:31pm
Ian, something just triggered in my short on cells brain,  CASE 1650K, look closely at the running gear, does it look a bit familiar on layout other then the final sprocket?  FL10 maybe?

176mm rails(6.93"), 106mm height, 58mm bushings 18mm bolts.   HD11 (7")178mm 106mm, 58mm and 5/8" bolts 16mm.  Could they work on worn sprockets?  could the segments off the Case work on a late Allis flanged rim?
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:00pm
To add to the confusion ,Cat D5 track is 6.91 inches. Cat has weld on sprocket ring to retro fit the older D6 to us this same chain with bolt on segments. So maybe sprocket diameter of the AC/Fiat machines is close enough you could convert to bolt on segments and chain that still being made. 

Back to topic
I have run a bunch of HD5s and always liked them. Have not been on the other small machines,but bigger is generally better with dozers.

Edited by Ray54 - 12 Jan 2016 at 7:05pm
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:35pm
I can't believe there isn't a Chinese reproduced rail to fit 11's and 7's. Being midsized machines they were probably produced in the most quantity and they are still popular
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 8:57pm
DMiller

That Case chain does sound close.  I found the Case specs on a Case site.  Similar basic layout to FA 10 with more lower rollers.

Some more specs for the thought mill from my service manual.

FA 10 with 40 link chains (loaders and FA 10B) had 6 lower rollers and 2 carrier rollers standard.  Original FA 10 was 38, 5 and 1, with the option of a "Lungo" that was the same as the loader - ours has this option.

They have 2-piece sprocket segments.  Pitch circle 790 mm, 28 teeth, 69 - 70 mm face width.   The bolting flange of the sprocket is offset to match to frame alignment

Front Idler diameter is 660 mm (over wear diameter),  70 mm across centre locating rim, (carrier roller 75 - 76 mm across locating rims).

Track roller is 195 mm over wear surface diameter and 163 - 165 mm wide between outer rims.

Link pitch 176 mm, height 103 mm.  Bush OD 58 mm.

Rails (measured on dozer) about 160 mm wide across outers and about 81.5 mm between inners

Hope this helps

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:27pm
I'm kind of amazed that the Case, Fiat-Allis and New Holland aren't exactly the same except maybe the engine, and of course color.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 12:57am
John,

For a while what I presume was the Fiat Allis crawlers were sold in other parts of the world as New Holland after the FA brand disappeared.  Up to about the 30 models as I recall. Weren't sold in Oz that I heard of.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/construction-equipment/115798-any-opinions-new-holland-dozer.html
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 8:00am
Undercarriage frames are slightly varied from the FL series but do appear to have some similarities as the upper roller settings, the rollers themselves and the track guides beneath.  I suspect a reuse of old forms, molds, jigs to determine a simpler even cheaper product.   I wonder if the rear segments would bolt up to a Allis late model sprocket rim?
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 2:36am
DMiller

With a "coldie" in hand i went out to look at our FA 10.

Seems to me that that Case 1659 won't have lower rollers that are smaller by much,  So with 8 it ought to have about 44 track links?

And got an idea for another post here, which is in the "You to guess and me to know" category for the moment.  More when it has gelled.
Les Royer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Royer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 2:48am
Now I don't know nuthin about dozers, nor have I ever driven one, but theres a neighbor up the road that said he was gonna sell his HD21. I think it's a 21. Pretty big machine as I recall.

No idea what he wants fer it. But I can give ya his name an number.

I don't think it's been ran recently. Tracks looked like it was being used for a work bench.
I still gots my A/C but it's clear out in the barn now.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 2:54am
you need that dozer Les...you could shave off the ground where yer gonna drill a well!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 6:56am
Agree with SHAMELESS, Les, you better go buy up that 21. Running crawler tractors is the most fun you can have with your clothes on! Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic