This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do Ya'll use,,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

Straight pin and fingernail clippers.

X2. Put pressure on both sides of the splinter with the fingernail clippers or end of a ball point pen to help pop it up if you can see it. If it is shiny metal sometime you can stain it with iodine so you can see it. Either Duluth Trading or Sportsman's Guide at one time sold a splinter removal kit, they may still have it. I've still got a  small piece of metal shrapnel in my arm from back around 1965, it went in too deep to bother with digging out. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links

Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 3:39pm
I also use nail clippers, but you have to be able to see the splinter.

Duty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
copyrite1972 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copyrite1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 11:38am
I use the same Swiss Army knife that my Grandpa used to use on me!
D15 Series II
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:33am
If you can see the end you can roll a pair of pantyhose around in your hands and the end of the splinter will hang in the pantyhose and should come out
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:30am
Stanley utility knife blade. Blue shop towel and electric tape for a bandage.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:21am
Straight pin and fingernail clippers.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 10:11am
There is sort of a diamond shaped spade type hollow needle that works great if you can see the jigger. My wife was temp first aid person at a factory for awhile is how I found out about it. Your Doctor probably has a drawerfull of them if you ask. You just poke it in, give it a twist and pull it out. Living in Multiflora Rose country I get lots of practice. If you've got like a super duper type of magnet on metal you might give it a whirl too.

Edited by Walker - 02 Dec 2018 at 10:19am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:57am
Being able to SEE it is kinda important.  I put on a pair of 2.5x, but sometimes put on TWO pairs of cheaters to get about 4x magnification.

I have a pair of sharp point REVLON tweezers... they're sharp pointed enough to puncture skin if you need to, and I dress the OUTSIDE profile with a diamond-hone to keep them that way.

I have one sharp, and one dull disposable shaver, one single-edge razor blade, and one straight pin, and some isopropyl alcohol in my sliver-cabinet too.

The FIRST thing I'll try... is take the dull disposable razor, and gently rake across it.  Frequently, if it's a wood splinter, the razor will be sharp enough to grab, but not sharp enough to cut through... and it'll drag it out.  If that doesn't, I graduate to the sharper one. 

If it's not out enough to rake, but enough to see, I'll grab it with the tweezers.

If it's below surface, I open up a line across the TOP of it (same plane) until it's exposed enough to lift and pull out.  Sometimes I'll have to pick UNDER it with straight pin.

Then I wash it out good with isopropyl.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:16am
A guy I used to work fore used to tell us to draw a circle around it and take it out off the clock. Lol
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:13am
I use a sharp razor knife to open it up. Metal seems to work deeper where wood will fester and work it’s way to the surface. Deck screws and drywall screws always leave little metal splinters that are hard to retrieve.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 9:13am
All I can suggest is google or duckduckgo  using sliver or splinter removal, lots of tips there.

Mean while there's this to ponder.
[TUBE]-gnnVnNn1Yk[/TUBE]

For some dang nabbit reason I can't get the whole 57 second video to play, here's the url if interested.

Edited by chaskaduo - 02 Dec 2018 at 9:18am
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:54am
Try a hatchet! (disclaimor: I am not responsible for the loss of any of your limbs if you actually try this! LOL!) Darrel
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2018 at 8:33am
 for removing splinters in your fingers, hands ect,ect,,??
 For some reason, I have been getting MORE than my share of mostly metal splinters, and some wood one too,,!! I do use my 4 1/2" grinders to do most of my metal cutting but then again,,I've been doin that for the longest,,,just seems as if I get more and more these days. 
 Right now,,I've got one in my right typin fore finger and I keep hittin it on the dang keys and it very hard to change to middle finger,,,,,,argh,,,!!! I cannot see the friggin thing but I KNOW it is there,,,!!!!Even tried my magnifyin glass but still cannot see it,,,shore hurtin,,!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic