This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

well problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: well problem
    Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:06pm
so neighbour had a new well drilled (41', same as the one 15' upstream. I NOW learn that neither the drillers or the pump install crews actually did the 'volume test' ( run their pump(10GPM) for over an hour...by code...) This does 2 things..1 confirms well HAS water, 2 clears out the well of dirt and mud.Oh yeah, makes numbers for the guv too...
Anyway for 2-3 months neighbour's had 'dirty' water, even after several 'open tap and run for 4 -6 hrs. even filled a 1000 gallon cistern last week. They're tired of no clean water, cleaning faucet screens, cleaning toilet bowls
so .....
Q1, Is the inside of new pressure tank 'coated' with mud still ?
Q2, does this explain why the water softener don't work anymore ?
Q3, should the hot water tank be replaced ?
Q4, should the new pressure tank be replaced ?
Q5, can the new pump be damaged ?

My opinion is the well guys need to install new pump, test for an hour, put in new pressure tank, hot water heater and water softener...but heck what do I know ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:39pm

Dang, Jay,,I'm wishing ole Les was still  visiting here as he would prolly know for sure,,,,Clap
  When my Son had his well drilled a few years ago,,,I questioned the driller WHY he was letting the pump run for so danged long after he got all lashed up with the drilling and Chit,,,, He informed me as nice as he could that he "HAD" to according to "Code" by the state. I'm now glad he did because when he left we had a perfect water well that ran some really good tasting water. The only'ist thing I didn't like was him running the pump when it was pumping the water that had some dirt or sand,,knowing it prolly not doing the impellers any good but no other way to flush out all them Gookies,,,,Clap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:40pm
[QUOTE=desertjoe]

Dang, Jay,,I'm wishing ole Les was still  visiting here as he would prolly know for sure,,,,Clap
  When my Son had his well drilled a few years ago,,,I questioned the driller WHY he was letting the pump run for so danged long after he got all lashed up with the drilling and Chit,,,, He informed me as nice as he could that he "HAD" to according to "Code" by the state. I'm now glad he did because when he left we had a perfect water well that ran some really good tasting water. The only'ist thing I didn't like was him running the pump when it was pumping the water that had some dirt or sand,,knowing it prolly not doing the impellers any good but no other way to flush out all them Gookies,,,,Clap
 My thoughts are the driller owes your neighbor "something" but we don't know what agreements they had,,,,,?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:42pm
flush good prior to water heater and tank.... if it dont clean up, get an inline LARGE sand filter, similar to what is on a swimming pool.

you MIGHT be able to wash out the water heater and pressure tank, but have to be using CLEAN water..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
fjdrill View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjdrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:51pm
Q1-yes should flush out. Q2-Yes. Q3 - no flushed.  Q4- A bladder tank should flush itself., air charged tank needs washing sediment out bottom. Q5- if just pumping Turbidy no, sand yes. I used to pump to waste 24 Hrs. Developed well with air till clear then agitated with air till clear a few times. Hard rock well pumped till clear. Is well cased to bottom with screen?
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 7:08pm
Been going through it as we speak.
After the well was drilled we waited forever for the pump service to come hook us up.
They showed up while we were on vacation.
We had a lady watching pets. They didn’t flush the well.
That was November.
I added a sediment filter and a charcoal filter. They supposed to last two months.
To start they lasted 2 weeks. Later 3 weeks and finally a month but that was stretching it. Then summer came and out came the pressure washer and lots of watering.
The last filters got changed at 65 days and weren’t bad.
We didn’t change anything as far as appliances.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 7:19pm
The filters are 4.5” from Homedepot. They cost $27 and $15.
I’ve found bulk on line.
I can handle the price as long as it’s bimonthly.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:40pm
The 'run test' is doing several things, but primarily checking to see if the well's flow rate can withstand demand.  When you pull from the well, water in the surrounding strata flows into the well, and there is formed what's called a 'cone of depression'... where water level immediately around the casing falls.

As flow rate increases, the cone's size and depression depth increases...

A flow test will 'prove' the production rate of the well AT THAT MOMENT.

Problem is, as seasonal variabilities occur, the flow rate of the strata can change.  There's many factors, but usually, during dry periods, the cone depresses deeper.  Under many circumstances, a high water level will dislodge finer sediments, which get drawn into the cone.

There's no physics rule that a well that proves it's flow on the day of commissioning, will always do that amount... in fact, they rarely exhibit consistency in that respect... they vary.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 5:45am
Is the pump sitting on the ground or in the mud on the bottom of the well? When I installed mine I kept it about 5ft above the bottom.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 6:21am
well...  know we're all on a HUGE acqufier(sp) ! never ever run out of water. neighbour's 1st well(15' upstream) was great for 20+ years(old invoice).
I don't know the 'numbers' like pump position or column of water for her well.
I'm just pizzed that she's having these problems.
sigh

#2 neighbour hands me a RedLion brand pump ( hmmm...).I've never torn one apart that was so CLEAN. One of the centrifugal springs broke an 'eye' or 'loop'. MFR seems to be no help. All it needs is a 50c spring to FIX a $400, nearly new pump.
dbl sigh

off to fix a washing machine, yeah #3 neighbour's !

thanks for the replies.
Jay

Edited by jaybmiller - 06 Aug 2022 at 6:21am

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:33pm
Should have done pump down test as well as runn pump for couple hours at full capacity output , well should have been chlorinated also .
 On mine its 86 ft with 40 ft standing water in casing 75 ft drop pipe and 3/4 HP submiserable pump 220 V , first pump lasted 45 years with 2 capacitor changes in starting control box 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 5:58am
Hay Coke,
I'm curious,  does your box have an 'idiot light' to show the pump is running or has power ? I don't have a 'box', wired direct to breaker panel.

Jay

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 11:57am
NO Light  - pump control box just has 3 sets of contact lugs , the cover holds the capacitor and other parts , and is kind of hinged so when cover is lifted / removed, it cuts power to pump and can be serviced . 3 wires to pump , start and run 
 I paid $100 for last one I needed on weekend  and then couple weeks later found a new one at a outlet center for $25 that is the same . Problem is I also had a spare I picked up a few years back but could not find it , now have 2 spares - 
 Should have bought just a capacitor to keep in reserve as it seems they are what goes bad . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 4:25pm
Thanks for the info. Dang silly not to have a 5c Neon light to say 'pump has power and should be running'.
No way I can hear if the pump in the well is spinning.

I'm trying to rearrange the garage so I don't have 4 spares in 4 locations......
..yeah, that ain't working out so good......yet...nuther 10-20 years, maybe Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic