This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well house heat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well house heat
    Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:38am
We just drilled a new well. I built the pump house in a corner in my shop. It’s 5’ x6’ x 8’ tall insulated with R19 and Drywaller with 1/2”.
I put a light in the ceiling using a porcelain fixture (not one with a chain switch) . Can I put a heat lamp in that fixture or should I get one of those clamp on shielded plug-in fixtures?
Any other ideas welcome.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 7:40am
Good luck finding a Conventional Lamp Bulb, we used 100w incandescent lamps to keep my Grandfather's well house warm, only took One, set six inches from floor.  LEDs do not make heat, not sure fluorescents.

Edited by DMiller - 26 Nov 2021 at 7:40am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:01am
random thoughts..
I'd put the light fixture at floor level as heat rises.......
would have used 2by6 or 2by8 studs,insulate R30-40......
insulate the inside of the door,2-3" styrofoam
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:17am
Install a wall outlet, then plug in a portable space heater set a lowest heat setting. As long as the room stay above freezing is all you need.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:21am
your insulation and walls are fine for your location.. A small heater like Lars said would work fine. Get a 500- 600 watt unit or a larger one that has a low setting.. At 1200 watts and 120 volts you are pulling 10 amps... You light socket would be fine for that , if you dont want a wall socket.....You should be in good shape.... Like Lars said, you only need 35- 40 degrees in the building.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Gary (sw Wis.) View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary (sw Wis.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 8:29am
The short answer. Yes you can put a heatlamp in your fixture. We keep small rooms from freezing with heatlamps here in Wisconsin often, but what i do get a "Y" fixture to put 2 heat lamps in so if one burns out you don't  freeze things up. Than I hook them trough a 110 line voltage thermostst to save electicity. 
190XT - D17 - D14 - WD45 w/loader - WD - (2)B110 - 616H - 610 - B-208 - WD with 190 Mounted Corn Picker - All Crop 60
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 9:36am
I use the heat lamps in both of my pump houses and both are outside. I also have an inline thermostat that cuts them off when the temperature is well above freezing.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 10:15am
I did install a couple outlets as well.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 11:13am
A friend of mine has basically the same thing you are describing, except his is only about 6 feet high. He started out with a heat bulb, but was lucky to check it one day and find out the bulb had burned out. He ended up going with a thermostatically controlled heater. he has now installed a second heater that is set considerably lower, in case the heater would fail for some reason.

Before, when you opened the door, you could feel the heat hit you in the face. Now, it is set at about 55 degrees. It is probably cheaper in the long run to run the heater, which only heats when needed.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 11:19am
Mine is set up similar to what you describe.  Heat lamp in porcelain ceiling fixture with a small electric backup heater in case the bulb burns out while I'm away. Heater is hooked up with a thermostat control to turn it on if the temp gets too low for any reason.  Mine building is well insulated for here in the great white north!  I lined the inside totally with silver "bubble pack" type material last year and it made a huge difference in there. All heat is reflected back inside there.
Only problem is if the power goes off for an extended period in cold weather like last week. One of the lower pipes started to freeze.  Put a small gas powered generator on to keep the heat lamp going and it soon thawed out.  In the past, if the power was out, I put an old fashioned kerosene barn lantern in there and that kept it warm enough that it didn't freeze up.  Unfortunately, when i tried that last week, the old lantern had rusted out in the bottom of the fuel tank!! (now repaired!)
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 1:29pm
I too have a heat lamp in my well house.  I have it a metal fixture and it is plugged into a thermo-plug which kicks in/out around 35-40 degrees.  I have had no problems since I set it up this way.  I have the lamp pointed down towards the tank and piping.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 2:28pm
Wrong post

Edited by allisbred - 26 Nov 2021 at 2:31pm
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 5:43pm
I had 2 dock deicers that had a probe in the water that was set at 32 and turned on a pump 4 foot in the water to pump warmer bottom water up to keep ice from around the dock. Been awhile but I'm sure it was a well house deicer thermostat to turn on a heater or whatever you have.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 6:17pm
A lot of small heaters have a thermostat on them, you just set it, and it keeps the temp anywhere from freezing on up.  I have a small one that I bought at an auction(I got 4 for $10, it was a hot day, a coupla years ago, LOL), its a ceramic heater with fan, about a 6 or 8 inch cube, keeps the office from freezing...Thumbs Up
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 12:44am
i too have a small ceramic heater in my well house. it's outside, about a 5x7 space, 6 in insulation. i had an infrared heater in there one year, the power blinked and it went out and didn't come back on. caught it just in time. the ceramic heater will come back on if it blinks again. 
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 6:23pm
I have a not ideal well house that I haven't had time to fix up with the house I bought. It's cinder block walled and too tall to keep the heat down low, not well insulated or sealed, etc. I wound one string of heat tape around all the pipes and put the foam pipe insulation over that, but my pressure gauge and switch for triggering the pump on/off will freeze up since I didn't get the heat tape all over them. I've used a 100W incandescent bulb under the switch and only had one issue since... When the bulb burnt out overnight during that bad cold snap last year. Putting a small ceramic heater in there will thaw it out fairly quickly. I used to do that but that is way more heat and way more electricity to pay for than you probably need, especially with your insulation and better construction.

I also got one of those $30 indoor/outdoor temp readers and put the outdoor sender in the well house. Even without the heat tape on you can get several degrees below freezing and not have any issues since the temp in the pipes is still above freezing. Kind of interesting to keep an eye on it and nice to know your bulb isn't burned out just by checking the temp of the outdoor sender. Not that much money - just have to change out AA batteries once a year or so.

Someday I hope to make space for the tank in the house, install a pitless adapter and not have to screw with any of it, ha. I sure was spoiled with that setup in the house I grew up in. From the sound of it, I doubt you'll have much trouble keeping your setup above freezing with it being inside the larger shop. A small incandescent would probably be plenty if it's sealed well at the ceiling. Again, the temp sender is nice to know you're okay.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic