This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Well any ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well any ideas
    Posted: 02 May 2022 at 12:23pm
Well changed pump head on my hd6 buda dozer. Had all timing marks lined up. Only start on full throttle. No throttle response at all. If you try to raise blade it dies. If you lower throttle to half throttle it dies. So not sure where I went wrong. I’m about to repower dozer if I can’t figure this out with a deutz engine.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2022 at 1:22pm
if the head didnt change anything it still could be governor or fuel supply issue.  do you have any fuel pressure on the gauge?  i cant remember what was covered before

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 9:27am
No such thing as an HD6 with a BUDA engine, is your first issue.

Before I would repower with a Deutz I would remove the pump and take it to a shop that knows what they're doing and have it rebuilt, including the injectors. 
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:22am
Our HD-6 had an engine with BUDA cast in the intake manifold. Easy mistake thinking its a BUDA.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 10:53am
Wasn't it a Buda designed engine prior to AC purchasing the company outright?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2022 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Wasn't it a Buda designed engine prior to AC purchasing the company outright?
yes, buda engines bought by allis.  buda lanova cycle until 58' when ac redesigned the cylinder heads on the 844 for direct injection.  the 516 and 344's came a few years later in the early 60's.  good luck finding a place to rebuild a psb pump.  no parts available anymore.  most wont touch it.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 10 May 2022 at 11:53am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2022 at 4:06am
Cal is right.  Allis dropped GM about 1952 or 53 when GM bought Euclid and went into competition.  Bought Buda to replace them.

Timing for the head on a PSB 6 head from what I have is

"Marked tooth located the distance of 1 tooth to rear of timing pointer"

The drive gear end is different with a grader engine.

Two things IIRC

- you've not long overhauled that engine?

- This problem happened when you let it sit over winter?

If you own it over earlier winters did it ever do this?  If not what was different about this winter?

Will it come back to idle with the changed head? And if it does will it accelerate back to full throttle?

Any chance you can get the rest of the pump that replacement head came off and try that as a unit?  

A working second hand pump would be less cost and testing of engineering expertise than grafting a different engine in  (that is my depreciated 2 cents worth!).  

Fair enough using a Deutz if you hanker for an "Aircooled AC".  A Detroit from an earlier Allis series would be more of a drop in I'd have thought.

I'm no expert but (from the experience I have) it still seems to me that you have a problem somewhere that is not letting the governor run the fuel control side.

Best of luck

Edited by Ian Beale - 11 May 2022 at 4:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic