This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD45 hard to steer update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD45 hard to steer update
    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
I wrote about 3 weeks ago about my 45 being hard to steer and leaking oil.   I finally got it apart and DennisA was correct about the bottom spindle bearing being bad.  Mine was bad, so bad that is was wearing into the spindle block.  Got a new bearing coming from Sandy Lake.  Now, what to do about the worn spindle block.  It is worn about 1/16 inch down. First I thought about welding and grinding, would that shrink the bore and not allow the spindle shaft to go in?  Then what about a machine bushing (washer) and tack weld it in place.  Hard to find a machine bushing with a 1-3/4 in ID.  Looks like TSC has one 30 miles away. What do you guys think?  
Thanks Dennis
Sponsored Links

Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 2:59pm
Try here at McMaster Carr. Pretty quick on shipping.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 3:48pm
I used a mcmaster shim that a buddy machined for me to fix the worn spindles on the front hubs on my WD.
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 6:27pm
Thanks Joe, I knew I was missing someplace.  I even have an old (1990's) McMaster catalog.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 8:37pm
I'm sure that a good front pedestal housing could be found in a boneyard. Swapping an entire front would be easier than repairing an excessively worn casting along with all the corresponding worn out parts.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 8:48am
I am sure that I could find used parts. This is the spindle block (where the wheels attach) that is worn and one or two machine bushings(washers) should get me going. That bearing would lock up then the race turned on the block and wore the block. I may even use lock tite (sp) on the race and shaft.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 7:24pm
If you're near me (Look for Argo, Iowa), and would like it re-machined, I can do it...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 10:05pm
Thank you for the offer. I will wait until I screw it up real bad, then I'll look for help.

I am south of Des Moines, so a little under 3 hours to get to your place. I would like to see your setup some time though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic