This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wd45 hand clutch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wd45 hand clutch?
    Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 7:17pm
My hand clutch felt a little soft so I pulled the cover off to adjust some shims. After getting the cover off I notice the big snap ring was not in the groove. So I ordered one from the dealer. I got it around the shaft but it won't fit in the groove. It seems way to big for the groove. What could be the problem? I used this tractor last summer for mowing hay, with no problems. Has anyone had this problem?
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:39pm
Clutch will have to be engaged to get snap ring on. Hope you found the old one.MACK
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 9:49pm
  You will need to squeeze the outer plates together.
Heavy spring pressure is pushing out the end plate so only a bit of the ring groove is visible.
 At least that is my guess.
 I had the same problem with one just last week but I split the tractor and rebuilt the clutch. There is an excellent video on rebuilding these clutches that will explain a lot.
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:12am
I had to weld my ring in place.  It got sprung too much getting it around the shaft without doing a split.  Hand clutch engaged gave me enough groove to get it in.  I made a special snap ring pliers to help with the job.
AaronSEIA
fastallis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:24pm
I watched the video. I wonder if I take out more shims and tighten it up with the the hand clutch Locked it should compress that spring more. Then I can get the snapring in? I will try that tomorrow evening. Thanks for the replies.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:40pm
I quit using mine when it got soft. Have no idea what's in there, so as long as tractor moves/pulls load I don't mess with them. They really don't do much good on these tractors. Lever is always hitting your knee and makes getting off hard. Mine got hot a few years ago for some reason and never worked right after that. thanks; ac fleet
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:53pm
Haven't taken mine apart yet on the 45. but probably will this spring. I wouldn't own one of these if the hand clutch didn't work! Unless it was a dedicated puller. Best feature Allis invented!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 10:34pm
If the hand clutch engages soft,but still has a decent snap, this is what Ted Buskier told me and Pat at Pontiac...I hope I remember....ya take out the complete shin packs,(all 3), now bolt the clutch pack together tight, now ya move the rollers that engage the clutch to a new contact spot...replace the shims...

I hope I remembered all this right, I have slept a few times since the Pontiac GOTO....

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:28am
I'm with Sugarmaker, love the hand clutch on a WD or 45. Don't even have a Roto-Baler!
Allis-Chalmers Damon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis-Chalmers Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

I quit using mine when it got soft. Have no idea what's in there, so as long as tractor moves/pulls load I don't mess with them. They really don't do much good on these tractors. Lever is always hitting your knee and makes getting off hard. Mine got hot a few years ago for some reason and never worked right after that. thanks; ac fleet

Really? I am surprised to hear this.  The hand clutch is the best feature on these tractors in my opinion.  You can start and stop much easier than putting in the foot clutch and going to neutral.  Plus you can keep the PTO going when using the hand clutch....I think it was one of the smarter Allis' features.
1955 WD45 Diesel, 1959 D14, All-Crop Drill, 303 Square Baler, 2015 John Deere 5075e, New Holland 279 Haybine, New Holland 575 square baler, 5ft roto-tiller, 5ft rotary cutter, 10 bale accumulator
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:24pm
wheres the vidio i will be  doing my 45 this summer as there are no shims left
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:47pm
fastallis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fastallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:21pm
So after watching the video yesterday, I took the shims out tightened up the bolts and was able to get the snap ring in the groove. Then I put all but three shims in and it snaps over soft. But i dont pull any real heavy loads. So I will see how see how it works this summer on the haybine. Thanks for the help everyone.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 7:59pm
No need to take all shims out to turn plate. Engage clutch, remove snap ring, disengage clutch, turn ring, engage clutch and reinstall Snapring.        MACK
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 10:08am
how avilable is all the parts ?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 1:19pm
Rick (on here) has complete rebuild/ refurb ones available. I assume all the parts are available too.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Feb 2019 at 5:00pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2019 at 2:57pm
I do have a lot of parts for the hand clutch on a WD/WD45, but can reman. your hand clutch for you. If you need some better parts, then I have them available with the cores I have collected. I don't really care to sell what I have, because of that reason...so I have parts to rebuild someone else's.   Rick
dt1050 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dt1050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 9:02am
used my hand clutch all the times when cutting hay, absolutely loved it. then again I was stepping up from a worn out 8n.  so you can imagine the difference when cutting thick/tall hay.
Just cause it's orange don't make it a tractor, there's only one..Allis Chalmers
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2019 at 8:32pm
My foot clutch gets used to shift trans into gear at first startup from neutral. It gets used to engage PTO. That's it. Hand clutch the rest of the time. Not "PC" but hey!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:28pm
Well,---since I don't have power steering, I gotta have BOTH hands to turn with,---so the hands are taken,---foot works better and besides the stupid hand clutch grabs and front end is 2 feet off the ground, something I despise! Like I said the handles are always hitting your knee and I need to find a way to lock it in then get rid of the lever. Might have to torch it off down low, don't know but something's gotta give.
The wd that I use the most does the same grab thing, so It too needs gone. Gonna have to look into what is in them, might be able to weld /bolt something together in there.
Wish I could get the fuel tank cleaned on the 190! Him got some usable gears, great room, nothing hitting your legs, extreemly nice to drive. ( also power steering)!
Winter has been hard on me this year, sorry guys! thanks; ac fleet
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:55pm
Should be a turnbuckle on the hand clutch lever you can adjust to move the lever back.
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
DennisA (IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DennisA (IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2019 at 5:57pm
AC fleet where you from?
Thanks & God Bless

Dennis
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 7:57am
ac,
 Yea sounds like the WD's arent giving you any love. They do get worn and need attention.
Not sure why its grabbing? May be worn? Grabbing is better than not in my book. but they do need some gently action to start off smoothly. Have driven one for 60 years and never had one start out lifting the front wheels off the ground.
Dad put me on one and I couldn't even reach the foot clutch. We were fixing fence, my job was to pull the tractor/trailer ahead to the next post. He would not have put me on it if he thought it was going to jump out from under me!:)
I have adjusted the both WDs I have got, to be right where I want them relative to my right knee. Turn buckle adjuster may need some Blaster.

Also I ran a loader, cleaning barns, on a non power steering WD45 and it was not easy. Been a long time. Cant remember which clutch I used the most? Half the time I was standing up tring to get enough leverage to turun the wheel with a load on the old trip bucket!

If all else fails then:
Sounds like a oxy/ acetylene would do the job for you, yep, right down near the frame!:)
Hope things get better for you. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Regards,
 Chris
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Well,---since I don't have power steering, I gotta have BOTH hands to turn with,---so the hands are taken,---foot works better and besides the stupid hand clutch grabs and front end is 2 feet off the ground, something I despise! Like I said the handles are always hitting your knee and I need to find a way to lock it in then get rid of the lever. Might have to torch it off down low, don't know but something's gotta give.
The wd that I use the most does the same grab thing, so It too needs gone. Gonna have to look into what is in them, might be able to weld /bolt something together in there.
Wish I could get the fuel tank cleaned on the 190! Him got some usable gears, great room, nothing hitting your legs, extreemly nice to drive. ( also power steering)!
Winter has been hard on me this year, sorry guys! thanks; ac fleet
My experience...when lining is gone from discs,they get grabby....mine is split just for that reason right now.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2019 at 9:47pm
If your WD steers that hard, take cover off steering box and see if it needs grease. Also check bearing at bottom, they get groves in the race from the rollers.     MACK
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2019 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

If your WD steers that hard, take cover off steering box and see if it needs grease. Also check bearing at bottom, they get groves in the race from the rollers.     MACK

DITTOThumbs Up That bottom bearing is often in bad shape and cause way too much drag and wear on the rest of the steering gear.

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 04 Mar 2019 at 6:10pm
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic