This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wd45 for school project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wd45 for school project
    Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 4:09pm
Hi guys, my name's Josh and im definately a newby. Dad purchased our wd45 about 4 years ago and we have slowly came along with it. We are now running 38's and have a diesel ring and pinion, however, we have not pulled the tractor with the lower gear in it yet so we don't know how much it will help. The tractor runs good for stock, but its just not enough. We do ok when the track is loose because the higher horsepower ollies spin like crazy and we manage to crawl out among em, but when the track is tight, i am lucky to break 220ft. I hear of you guys pulling lighter classes, but our club goes 4000 and up. Im a senior in high school now, and for my senior project i wrote the paper portion of it on the internal combustion engine. So for the project part of it, dad said we could pick another 226 engine and do some work to the tractor. I have around a 3000 budget im working with after we buy the other engine, so im wondering what i should prioritize. I have read through quite a few old threads and realize how stuff adds up quick. So after all this rambling, my question to you guys would be... what would be the best combo for my money? I figured we should have the head worked on, cam reground, and a lil more ci's and bigger carb, but i don't know how to go at it. Any input if appreciated! Thanks
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 4:43pm
If your "rules" allow a bigger carburator (and maybe manifold throat) that it very easy and instant HP. Are your RPM's limited??
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 4:58pm
Our Rpms aren't limited in our club, but we have pulled some with the osatpa div2 and I think it's like 20 or 30% over. Not 100% sure
BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 5:28pm
Run a D17 gov spring. What limitations do the local pulls give? Around here its pretty much stock appearing. Guys have 500+ cubic in Farmall M's, worked Olivers, etc. Rules are what we need to know to understand how far you can go. Wi50 has a basically bolt in setup for a 226 to make it almost 300ci with crank, cam, rods etc. I think he's asking 2700.00 amd you'd be keeping up with amd spaking Olivers.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 5:29pm
What about the carb?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 5:31pm
Spanking Olivers with 300 cubes???........You will be at a 100 cube deficit.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 5:32pm
If you're asking me? They don't seem real particular about them here but the one on my WC (I think its a large TSX off my 45) worksggreat and no one has said anything. Carb is a definite upgrade. Do some port amd polish work between the carb and manifold, clean the head up and maybe go to a bigger valve
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 5:33pm
A smart puller with some reasonable engine in an AC platform will pull with 77's and down.....88's need some beef to compete with
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 6:44pm
dont mind those ollies, they might have more power, but i regularly spank the crap out of them by using technique, weight placement and the works, not motor related but a nice thing to have is an adjustable hitch, i have found generally the more power you have the sloppier you get with your technique, thinking that power is a crutch, also for the 88s  we have a few that run in the 4500 class, they usually get beat pretty good cuase they are not heavy enough, just dont get bummed out!
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 6:46pm
most oliver 77 6 cylinders around these parts is 410 cubic inches
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 7:02pm
Our club rules are not strict at all. Stock appearing, but no CI or rpm. However, like i said when we go to Plain city or something we have to run with the osatpa guys. We have a guy with an 88 with a 310 in it that goes from 4000 to 9000, and is in the money every class. On a loose track we wothin 10 feet of him. I don't expect to really whoop, but id like to be able to keep him on his toes in the 4 and 4500. Would we be better off to invest some of the money in stroking? Like say run 1/8 inch flat top wd's with a 5.4 stroke? Or would putting most of my funds into that be a waste.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 7:30pm
Martys kit is a 5.5 stroker with a bit more bore. Send him a PM and I'm sure he could help set something up geared toward what you want
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
allispuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:17pm
i would suggest doing work to the bottom end such as bore and stroke to start out.  That is what i did and it was money well spent.  Little things such as port matching the head to the manifold will help as well but can be done your self. Also i would suggest installing electronic ignition and a hotter coil such as the thunder volt coil that can be picked up online for fairly reasonable.  The one thing to remember is if you increase the cubic inch is to modify the carb to make sure you are getting enough fuel to feed the new hungry horses. 
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:35pm
Thanks for the advise guys. I have an idea of the direction we should head in. Thinking about worrying about the stroking, bigger pistons, and carb for now, then going through the head and other stuff when we have the time. What about flywheel and clutch? Ours is still holding, but dad put it in 3rd on accident last pull and let the clutch completely out, and the tractor didnt move. He then put it back in first and it held that pull and three hooks after that. Dad wants to go ahead and put a machined flywheel in the tractor while we have it apart. Who is good to get ahold for this?
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:41pm
you sir need to talk to wi50, he is one of the best on this site. also, i will also say adding your diesel ring and pinion was basically no change if you are running 38 inch rubber, it would basically be the same as me running regular ring and pinion with stock 28 inch tires, however with stock sized tires and diesel gear in the pumpkin you would have a better mechanical advantage and would be able to pull farther theoretically, traction could be reduced by running a smaller tire but i think you wouldnt have too much power for 28 inch rubber. also what mph class are you running, i am assuming that being you are running stock you are under 5 mph in which you dont want hp, you want torque and with the right setup, torque all over the rpm band
hi my names dan, I am a young guy. i have a problem, i prefer my tractors orange and my clutches mechanical, thanks for letting me share
blue924.9 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue924.9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:43pm
i should mention i typed this before i seen your post, i dont know who to go to for machining but wi50 for engine work, (among others, dr.allis and others who will hopefully chime in)
allispuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allispuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:52pm
I would NINE spring clutch with a FOUR button disc. Also consider removing the hand clutch to prevent it from slipping. I have that in my WD45 puller and have had no issues with it holding. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:53pm
You're wasting your time if you don't address the head and cam while it's apart....you'll already have it off. To do all the other work and not do the head is like putting a 2 barrel on a blower motor....wasted effort.
Central PA Allis Express
1934 WC254
1945 WF
1945 WC135755
1951 WD68085
1953 WD45-150217
1957 WD45D-230744D
B110
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 8:58pm
Yes we had already planned on removing the hand clutch. Ours pops out sometimes when we go to take off, so we have just been running a ratchet strap to keep it from popping out.
XT in pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XT in pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 9:29pm
Your hand clutch will handle just about what ever you put in front of it. If it is shimmed up the right way and everything is in good shape it won't have a problem holding the power.
190XT,D17and 7045
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 9:39pm
Well, that depends on whether it's a 2 disc or 3 disc hand clutch. A 2 disc won't hold any serious HP and a 3 disc has it's limits even when shimmed correctly.
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 9:44pm
Did some tractors come with two and some with three? I have not seen one before other than looking at the picture in the shop manual to really know what one looks like.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 9:54pm
Later WD-45's had three from the factory. Many older tractors (WD's and WD-45's) got rebuilt from 2 to 3 when it came repair time.  My Uncle had one of each and the one with 2 discs would slip like a torque converter when starting out in road gear full throttle using the hand clutch only. He never noticed and I never told him.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2014 at 11:21pm
I wind up going through this time and time again with people.  They want to spend some money, and where is the best place to spend that money?  What do you do so that in the future you have the best chances of being able to upgrade and not have to throw away much of the previously spent time and money.

Lets start with the short block assembly.  You can spend all the money you want on fancy billet parts and the latest greatest trick of the week.  You can make it bigger, you can make it 500 cid in that little engine if you have enough time and money I suppose. 

Or you can use things that are commonly available and cheap.  You can take that famous Buda rod and stroke the crank and put it in.  BUt that rod has a straight cut cap and it isn't going to clear the block all that well.  It will to a certain point.  Now you've spent money to stroke the crank and you've found a rod.  You have to come up with a piston that will work to get the desired compression ratio you want.  It's going to take some looking to come up with a piston tall enough to make things work with that short rod, or you are going to buy a custom piston.

If you use the Farmll H rod, it clears well, the cap is rotated and the rod clears better.  The rod is also a decent length and will allow you to pick from a wide variety of pistons that are common and cheap, stocked parts from one of many suppliers.

Stroking the crankshaft is going to cost the same weather you weld it up and go to 5 1/8" stroke and use your rods and pistons that you already have over again.  It's going to cost the same if you go to 5 1/2" or to 6".  Work is work and with this it's all the same in the end.

I put together a setup that is reasonably low priced and has a good chance of the average guy being able to assemble it.  I typically use a Farmall H connecting rod and do a lot of work to the rod.  I use a set of Allis sleeves that are simply bored oversize slightly and honed.  Taking a 4 1/8" overbore sleeve and boring it .030" over to get a true cylinder.  I typically go to 5.4" or 5.5" stroke and this clears in the blocks with very little additional work.  You can go out to 5.75" stroke with that Farmall rod and there are plenty of available pistons that will allow you to use that combination.

The earlier blocks like a WC and WD blocks are narrower and just don't have the clearance, the later WD blocks and WD45 blocks have more clearance.  So I stay in the 5.4" stroke range on those earlier engines.

In the future should you decide that you want to build a larger engine, you can use that same crank and rod combo and some commonly available larger bore pistons in the 4.5" to 4.625" bore size.  It's a simple matter of making a new bushing in the end of the connecting rod to accept a larger wrist pin.  Typical smaller bore pistons have a .927"-.928" diameter wrist pin.  Typical larger bore pistons use a .990" or 1.040" and 1.090" wrist pins.  Of all the Farmall rod will accept them by making a simple bushing.

I'm trying to steer you in a direction so that you can re use your parts and money spent in the future if you have problems, or build a larger engine.  I had someone bring me an engine recently that they spent a lot of money on.  Way more than the figure you posted above and all they got was stock D-17 rods and pistons trimmed and a 5 1/8" stroke crankshaft....270cid.  Now the crank journals are machined to wide to use another rod, the existing rods are to short to use a common larger bore piston.  I can't so much with the crankshaft to change things without spending a bunch of money.  Had they used some different parts, they would have had more options.

I'll lay it out like this, common prices for parts and work for one of those setups,
Pistons are a Keith Black 9911HC "claimer series" $230 for a set of 8

Rings are $35 for a cheap set, $135 for a pretty good set

Core rods are $100, make bushings, machine and clearance, machine more, balance, hone pin and big end.  Balance them $200 out of pocket and a bunch of time....lots of time and if I pay myself just a little bit $400 for a set of completed rods but you may be able to do them yourself.

Sleeves, I buy at junk yard say $50-$100, I blast them clean and machine a taper on top and bottom, true up O ring grooves and install in a block.  Boring and honeing $100. 

So you have about $400 in your rods and about $400 in the cylinder package.

A crank is about $850-$900 typically to weld and grind the 4 cyl crank and get stroked to whatever you want.  Then weld and grind mains and true the ends, grind the flange square, weld up the seal surface on the nose and grind it, takes about another $200-$250.  Then balancing the crank will add some cost.  I machine the nose of the cranks and turn the nose end flat, drill and tap threads in, this is very handy to hold a degree wheel.  This is important to get the camshaft timed to the crank properly.

Cams are usually $170-$225 to grind a new profile on, depending on the cam grinder and the volume of them they are doing.  I always pull the plugs out of the ends of the cam, blast them clean inside and out.  I turn material off to get a smaller diameter between the lobes for rods to swing past.  When I get the cam and crank together I put them in a block and start to indicate things in and set the cam timing or (phasing) to the crank.  Simply lining up the timing marks isn't quite right, things need to be timed a little different to take full advantage of the engine.

Gasket set $80, main bearings $100, cam bearings $75, rod bearings $60

When it's all done it seams like it takes $2500-$2700 out of pocket to do all of this and have new parts.

None of this really matters if you hang a small carb and a poor flowing manifold on the engine weather you have 270 CID or 400 CID.  If you can feed 300 CID to it's full potential you will make more power than starving a 400 CID engine.

Buy a few books, Engine Blueprinting is a good one for starters, it's probably $20 from Summit Racing and there's lots of others to pick from.  Learn how to degree your camshaft, learn how to take measurements like your block height (center of the crankshaft bore to top of the deck).  Buy yourself a cheap dial indicator and magnetic base.  Get a degree wheel.  If you like working on engines the knowledge and some of these tools will be priceless. Experment with your engine when you take it apart and take some of these measurements.  Pay attention to geometry and don't take to much free advice on the internet, there's some real dimwits out there.

I am sold out of any parts for the time being and probably won't be doing any more for some time.  I'd sure help you out with whatever you want to do but I'm already behind on shop work for the year.

"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 8:52am
Thank you. Ill be sure to look at that book and check it out. We had thought about giving a call as far something similar or the rotating assembly you had for sale on the day after Christmas. Seems to be the best route to start out with, we might just have to leave the tractor a apart a little longer to save enough $$ for the head to be really worked through and install a different flywheel and clutch. If you are behind thats fine i don't care to call around to some scrap yards, machine shops, and search the internet for different things. Have any of you guys ever did business with Mets Machine shop in Ohio?
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 8:58am
You really don't need a different flywheel, just a good 9 spring pressure plate and a 4 pad button disc should hold all the engine you are going to build, and it leaves money to spend in more important places.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:06am
Ok thats good then. I had heard you should get one if you are running i think was it 30% over or something idk. We usually run the tractor at around 2000 to 2500, but hopefully the lil extra ci's we won't have to run it as hard
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 9:23am
Is the compression ratio much different with the Keith Black pistons compared to the wc/wd flat tops? I would be at 4.125 instead of 4.155, but that doesn't bother me. If the claimer pistons are much better i will go with that set up, just wondering.
mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 11:05am
if you go with the farmall rods and longer stroke the original wc pistons might not work becasue of the compression/pin height in the piston. That is why the claimer pistons are recommended
Juiceman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juiceman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2014 at 12:24pm
Ok thank you.  I'll just go with the claimer pistons then.  Thanks for all the input again this is my first build and you guys are helping a lot. I just uploaded a video to youtube so you guys could see the tractor we have talking about.
[TUBE]http://youtu.be/OPMSt7Q8fGI[/TUBE]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic