This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wd starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wd starter
    Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 11:31am
i have delco starter out of one of my wds , i want to order some new stuff from my local starter alternatoer shop to change it over to 12 v but the tag is gone how do i identify it ? . i have not found a number stamped .  i missed getting their before they closed .   i do know that their were alot of differant ones used( delcos )  in the wds and wd45s  but not all the internals interchange
Sponsored Links

jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 2:56pm

A 6v starter can be run with a 12v system. 
Just don't hang on the start switch.

There's a Denso alternator that packages tighter that the hot rodders use. That's what I put in my Ferguson and probably on my Wd when I go 12v. 

Internal regulator of the 12v alternators allow getting rid of the regulator brick while the 12v coil with internal resistor gets rid of the external resistor block and connections. Simplifies the conversion.

Edited by jvin248 - 03 Mar 2024 at 2:56pm
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 5:57pm
Mike,
You're absolutely right. The problem with these old units is you're not sure what's in them till you tear em' down. Even if you go by the unit p/n the books aren't always right either especially when flipping to 12. That's worst. LOL!  Then starts the back n' forth to the parts store. That's the main reason why I don't sell Starter and Generator parts for these old units......
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 5:57pm
run 6v starters on 12v for many years on some things and probley still will but i change my own stuff and customer stuff when i do conversions over to 12v. now way better on starter drives housings ring gears when you have a good healty operating electrical system . 6v is fine when everything electrical needs work.    i realley hate that drive trying to bash all the way to the radiator
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 6:01pm
steve you posted while i was typing  was hoping yuo would chime in my local shop is only open now during hours i cant leave myshop     my tag is missing what next ? 
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 8:39pm
i guess that what ineed t know is what pole shoes i have the genny shop siad their are differant ones from 1107017 to 1107096  it looks like on the internet 1107051 is the common number  but i dont trust the internet for part numbers much
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2024 at 8:46pm
Mike, I know what you mean.  I've broken more than one nose cone on those starters.  It's worth the extra $$ to change the starter over and be safe, rather than buy more expensive nose cones which are getting kind of scarce.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 12:17pm
Mike,
The 1107017 is the WC/RC Starter. The WD/WD45 Starter is "usually" 1107951. Be careful though, I've had some 951's with different components in them! Yeah, don't rely on the internet to be right. Most of the time, they ain't!  LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 12:32pm
Better off to pull the starter apart.. Put the "needed" parts in a box and have the Wifey stop by and show them what you need !  Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 05 Mar 2024 at 12:32pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2024 at 6:30pm
i do all the driving i wish the wifey could still  do most off those things that i do now  i will get it figered out 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic