This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD Piston to Deck Height

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LexAdmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD Piston to Deck Height
    Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 2:37pm
Hello.
Curiosity question please.
What is the piston to deck height on the WD?
I bought the tractor a couple of years ago and the engine was very tired.
So I decided to freshen it up a bit with new sleeves and a few other things.
Now that the pistons are in (I am re-using the old pistons), I was curious what the piston to deck height should be. I am getting .773" using calipers.

Pics attached.

Thanks!
KC

Sponsored Links

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 4:17pm

I read it as 0.073, or 73 thou.

The first mark to the right of '0' is 0.001, or 1 thousandth of an jnch.

The 10 is 0.010, or 10 thou

The 70 is 0.070, or 70 thou.

G
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 4:36pm

You may only be a few parts away from making that a W45 engine... Pistons, sleeves, crank, manifold.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 4:55pm
There's more than one piston for those engines. As long as they are all the same, you are good to go. It ran before, right ??????
LexAdmn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LexAdmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 4:56pm
You are correct on the dial, but if you look at the sliding rule, you can see we passed 7 but not 8.  So we start at 700, then add the increments on the dial.

KC
LexAdmn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LexAdmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 5:00pm
Yes, it did run before.
Perhaps I was comparing apples to   ....well, something else.
On another engine I did notice the piston sitting lower in the cylinder than mine. But I do know the pistons are different than mine but did not know about the pin height.

Thanks.
KC

Edited by LexAdmn - 09 Jan 2024 at 5:10pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 6:38pm
You have a 4 inch stroke so the piston at the BOTTOM is about 4.770 inches from the deck.. At full TOP it is about .770 inches from the deck... You have some room in the head  ( and it is domed) but let say that adds another .130 inch ( just a wild guess.

So you are going from a 4.9 inch ( piston to dome head) at the bottom to .9 inches when at the top........... 4.9 divided by .9  = 5.5  ... that would be your compression ratio.. It might actually be a little lower if the volume in the DOME is more than our "GUESS"............ New rings and liners will surely help, but part of your "LOW POWER" is the compression ratio... If it was up at 7.5 or 8 you would have more power.

4.6 Divided by .6  = 7.5 compression ratio ... so  if your "deck to head" distance was more like .500 you would have quite a bit more HP.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 6:43pm
No room in the head. The head is flat and valves protrude. Head gasket .060" I think.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 6:51pm
OOOPS  my bad... So its 4.770 + .060  or 4.830 ... and at the top it would be .770 + .060 or .830

So the compression is "about"  4.830 / .830 = 5.8 compression ratio..

Not great, but if the .770 was more like half inch, you would be at 8.1 compression.

Edited by steve(ill) - 09 Jan 2024 at 6:53pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LexAdmn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LexAdmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 7:17pm
Interesting numbers.  Thank you for sharing.

KC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic