This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD Magneto with external coil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD Magneto with external coil?
    Posted: 03 May 2024 at 1:17pm
If the magneto is mechanically worn out and is converted into a distributor then it will function just like a worn out distributor.

If the magneto is in acceptable mechanical condition but electrically dead, then converting it into a distributor is a whole bunch less expensive than buying a re-conditioned distributor and will last just as long. My neighbor (now deceased) converted a John Deere "A" more than 50 years ago, his son still has it and will likely never wear it out either.

If you do purchase a re-conditioned distributor kit be sure that the vendor doesn't supply a coil that has cheapo steel/iron secondary terminals like the one I paid good money for; it rusted so badly within a year that it failed to function. I didn't think I would be "throwing good dough away" by dealing with that vendor, but I did "wind up spending twice the money for the fix in the long run" when I put a Bosch Blue Coil (with brass terminals) on it. Oh, and the condenser failed within six months too.

Let the buyer beware.
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2024 at 10:52am
change over to battery dist and never look back!! Expensive? yes BUT them old mags are junk from the word go! I modified  several over the years just  to get by on but the internals are still worn out and a good dist will make them run like new!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2024 at 8:11am
Fix it right or save your sheckles and swap it over to a Distributor. Doing things half a$$ doesn't last to long and you're throwing good dough away. People who are cheap, wind up spending twice the money for the fix in the long run. Seen it happen over n' over... JMHO

Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 10:18pm
I have done it, works fine long term.
ForgivenCreation View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 9:32pm
I did test the condensor and it seems to be working. I did the ohm reading deal and it went up slowly and didn't spike. Also super duper cleaned the points, set the gap to 20 thousandths and tested continuity all checked out.
Maybe someday I will try and fix it but it's really rough.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 9:19pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 9:18pm
It has been done before.. I would not do it... Have seen a you tube video somewhere someone did it.. Drill a hole thru the case and run wire thru it.....

Dont sound like a long term fix, but it will work.

Dont know if your impulse works.. Will you have any spark advance...half of "old mag failures" are due to a bad Condenser.... lots of questions on that old mag.

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 May 2024 at 9:22pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ForgivenCreation View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 9:02pm
Figure I would run this by yall before I try it. The Magneto is toast and will not spark at low rpm to get the engine to fire. Even with the plug gap set to 10 thousandths. The top ear is broke off and jb welded, one screw is stripped and the internal coil has one of the screws seized and will not come out.
Can I use the housing Only for Points and Condensor to fire an external Canister Coil?
I do have a battery.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic