This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD final drives... how much is to much?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD final drives... how much is to much?
    Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:05pm
   This is really mind boggling... Pulling yesterday, I had a little breakage... Got it tore down today to find four teeth off the bull gear, and a twisted axle. I am not making near the horsepower as most folks, but seem to be applying it all. Did this happen slowly? recon the other side is the same way?
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
Sponsored Links

cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:46pm
I am going to post some pics, feel free to resize them, please!!!!
C, WD45,WD puller, 185, 200, 7060 Red Belly, 7060 Black Belly,8010, and a R52 Gleaner, AND PROUD OF THEM!
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 8:46pm
Ha! Got em down to size!
allisanddodge View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisanddodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 9:26pm
Jason, don't be too worried, It happens. One thing is make sure your bearings are like new & TIGHT. This makes sure the gears mesh completely & aren't pulling on just part of the teeth- also if they get to crow-hopping-one wheel spinning then the other-especially fast & violently-that is awful hard on them. I would say what happened was the teeth broke then a piece lodged between the gears-locking it up then that's when you twisted the axle. I've broke 2 on my WC's, like I said it happens, just keep extra parts around and realize that's part of making good power. Sounds like you had a bad day w/ your truck & all. Good luck in the future.    Jack Barham
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 10:16pm
Might as well replace finals with D17 finals. Axel and gear brakeage is common on WD and WD45 when power is increased. MACK
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 6:55am
I wish I had knew this before I bought another WD45. I was lead to believe late model 45's were better.... I could of bought D17 finals cheap.... GRRR Thanks Mack, I may get them and add to parts barn!
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 6:55am
I am assuming I will pick up weight also...
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 9:26pm
Won't be much heaver.  MACK
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 11:19am
Originally posted by allisanddodge allisanddodge wrote:

Jason, don't be too worried, It happens. One thing is make sure your bearings are like new & TIGHT. This makes sure the gears mesh completely & aren't pulling on just part of the teeth- also if they get to crow-hopping-one wheel spinning then the other-especially fast & violently-that is awful hard on them. I would say what happened was the teeth broke then a piece lodged between the gears-locking it up then that's when you twisted the axle.

Yep. Final drive bearings are very important.

My vote on the twistage is also that a broken tooth locked things down badly enough to do big damage.
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
alliskid13 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alliskid13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 10:38pm
you must have better tracks in Tennessee than we do in Missouri. About how far can you guys pull out there.
cotncrzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotncrzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 7:58am
If you are referring to weight classes, We usually stop around 5000, but have been to 5500 with the modified tractor and up to 6500 with the "farm Stock" tractor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic