This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wd engin build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wd engin build
    Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 8:44am
Hi every one I need some help on an engin bilding
I have a wd that I won't to get enough power to run 2nd gear and 3rd gear in 4500 and 3500 pound class . With that being said I would still like to rack hay and plow with it in the spring
thanks i forgot to menchion I'm runing close to factory tires

Edited by Ronnie - 06 Sep 2015 at 8:46am
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2015 at 9:44pm
This is easy. Throw away the WD engine....wrong crankshaft, carburetor and probably manifold. Get yourself a full-flow oil D-17 or Gleaner "E" engine that runs. Overhaul the engine and use genuine AGCO OEM 175 pistons and sleeves. Re-grind the camshaft to 175 specs. Install a modified D-19 carburetor, D-17 governor spring and "E" governor weights. This should make close to 75 flywheel HP @ 1800 RPM's. Use a 9-spring WD45 pressure plate with 4-button clutch disc. Eliminate the hand clutch or rebuild to a 3-disc type. Plow all day on 87 octane gas. Refill the fuel tank every 2 1/2 to 3 hrs. When do you wanna start the build?????
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 6:11am
Dr, any added benefit to use WD flattops with that combo and run 93 octane?

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 6:31am
It's all about the compression ratio....the term "flat tops" means nothing. There's a half dozen of those styles, but what is the compression ratio....cranking compression.....compression distance?? These OEM 175 pistons with my personal compression tester make 170 to 180 psi cranking compression. There's your benchmark number.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 6:34am
I see no benefit to 93 octane on an engine that will burn 87 octane with no detonation and correct ignition timing. Maybe 93 octane with 30 degrees BTDC timing would yield a little more HP ? versus 25 degrees BTDC timing.....the dyno is the only sure way to know.....none of this " I'm sure it's got more power...I can feel it" !!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:07am
I'd take flat top 180 psi cranking compression any day over 120 psi Power Crater pistons. I'd prefer 180 psi Power Crater design if I had my choice and 4 1/8" oversize to boot.
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:44am
Dr does the d17 engin look like a wd engin or is it compleaty different
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:46am
Most people can't tell the difference. Technically, it is considered a "replacement" engine by most Antique tractor Clubs. Pretty much bolts right in using the WD flywheel, water pump and crank pulley.
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:48am
I was hoping to do some porting and polishing and shave the head
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:51am
Shaving the head does NOTHING on an A-C. Porting the cylinder head does very little to nothing in this application. You asked what to do. I've given you the best advice you can get, to be able accomplish what you asked to be able to do with the tractor. Just do it.
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:55am
Well I gess I'm going to look in to a 17 or e engin how much can I do this bilding for
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 8:05am
If you happen to find a running Gleaner E-3 engine, it would almost fit the specs as-is, only needing the camshaft re-grind. You could skip that part, add the D-19 carb and go from there. Cam grind is 2 to 4 more HP.
Ronnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 8:10am
Ok thanks dr
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 6:07am
This is what I was referring to as flat tops. They are 4 1/8"

Wrist pin lining up the D17 Power Craters are taller, however the mean height without the dish is higher on the flat tops yielding 210 psi vs. 145 (M Code Engine)

The Z Code 226 in my WD yields 175 psi however I do not know what pistons are in it.

The WD has a TSX464 and the 17 has a TSX 871 is I remember right.

I plan on getting a TSX 848 and seeing how it works on the WD.
Thank you for the insight.

Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic