This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD and WD45 Electronic Power steering conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 3:23pm
Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum.Big smile
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 7:08am
Justin,
 You making it look easy peasy! Very good documentation! Thank you! Power sterring is so nice on one of these tractors! Helps compensate for the very poor ergonomics of the drivers area!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 8:28am
Let us know how it works out after putting some hours on the tractor,
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 2:44pm
Justin, how much clearance is there from the front pulley, on my 45 with a 400 hyd loader the pump and hoses are mount in that area it was a tight fit if I remember right to mount the pump, not saying that it wouldn't work but just curious on the clearance for the people that has that set up.  
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Kenny L. Kenny L. wrote:

Justin, how much clearance is there from the front pulley, on my 45 with a 400 hyd loader the pump and hoses are mount in that area it was a tight fit if I remember right to mount the pump, not saying that it wouldn't work but just curious on the clearance for the people that has that set up.  

There is enough clearance for the fan belt to come on and off as required but not much more then that. you would definitely need to make sure the clearance is in this area prior to installing. you may be better with the unit mounted around the fuel tank further up the steering shaft.. it will not look as concealed but will function the same. 
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 8:59am
I don't necessarily have any concerns, but it was mentioned before this unit may not fit on a D17. Just throwing out a suggestion!
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 7:32am
I was able to get the front axle mounts back into place and bolted together. good clearance on the power steering setup. 

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 10:21am
Is there not enough room to mount the electric unit where Charr-Lynn PS was added on AC's? Similar to that Farmall picture? Would seem easier.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 10:52am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Is there not enough room to mount the electric unit where Charr-Lynn PS was added on AC's? Similar to that Farmall picture? Would seem easier.

I am sure there is.. I have not attempted because i wanted the tractor to remain as "factory looking" as possible with it being hidden. I would assume you would need to fabricate a bracket in pace of the char-lynn setup
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2022 at 12:33pm
Well, 

The news i did not want to hear about happened... The auto wrecker sold me the incorrect year of power steering unit. They ended up selling me a late 2007-2010 equinox EPS unit.. Not the correct one as it uses Datalink communication to work.. 

hopefully (fingers crossed) the hard work is not totally for nothing yet.. the correct unit looks to have the correct power steering mounting pattern, just a different connection and a different main assembly.. 

On another note, The final pieces came in for the unit to control this system from Bruno steering in Portugal. 

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 8:42am
more positive progress over the last couple of days, Keep your eyes for a revised first page, i will be updating everything as required for the conversion now that i have a couple of the correct units. 

I will be posting some photos of the switchover as well as updated progress once it is working. 
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 9:58am
any idea why the 2008- 2010 model can not be used ??
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 10:14am
With some playing on my end, it looks like the newer one uses can-bus to communicate rather than a VSS signal. temporarily hooking it up i was not able to get any control from it.. It also has more wires (looks to be position dependent ) for location of steering column position. just overall more sophisticated. 
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 3:31pm

Hey Justin,,,,Looking Good,,!  Is the last pic you posted of the unit still in the car?  I had a big FU myself, as I told the yard guy at my friend's yard to get me a complete unit plus ECM from a 2000 to 2006 Saturn Vue,,,,,but,,,,but that car does NOT have an EPS unit,,,it uses an engine driven pump,,,!!  Why didn't I look in engine compartment to make sure before that poor guy spent 3 hours Manhandling the whole steering column,,only to find it don't have EPS,,,,,!!
 My little parts chaser car 2006 HHR DOES have EPS and I happen to have an extra parts car but I looked on the parts car and I can't see where the unit might be on the steering column,,,??

What year and model EPS did you wind up with?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 4:15pm
Joe, on the HHR look under the dash, up above the brake pedal.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2022 at 8:19pm

OK, I'ma gonna go tamarrow to where the HHR parts car is  to look at the EPS unit,,,,
 Hey Steve and Justin,,do either of you know if that unit will work??

I took another "walk around" on the D14,,,and there is just NOT too much extra room from the steering shaft to the block OR to the frame rail,,,,!!

I feel as tho I HAVE to do these mods to the PS on my D14 as when I rebuilt the whole tractor, I bought a complete engine and the Great Allis Express (Dave Kamp brought the engine from SE Iowa all the way to The Alien Town just 40 miles from me,,,,,!!!
 " What ever happened with " The Allis Express",,,,?? I just don't hear any more on it,,,?
 During the rebuild of the engine,, I distinctly remember ole AJ,,,(Remember him,?) telling me to make damn sure I replaced the seal between the PS pump and the engine. I'm pretty sure and Dr Allis agrees with me that that same seal has failed again and is how the PS oil is getting from PS into the engine. I checked the oil level in PS and is VERY low, after filling PS system just last week,,!! That premature failure of the seal makes me think the registers in the pump are out of spec and installing another seal ain't gonna help any.
 What to do,,,,what to do,,,??
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 6:43am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey Justin,,,,Looking Good,,!  Is the last pic you posted of the unit still in the car?  I had a big FU myself, as I told the yard guy at my friend's yard to get me a complete unit plus ECM from a 2000 to 2006 Saturn Vue,,,,,but,,,,but that car does NOT have an EPS unit,,,it uses an engine driven pump,,,!!  Why didn't I look in engine compartment to make sure before that poor guy spent 3 hours Manhandling the whole steering column,,only to find it don't have EPS,,,,,!!
 My little parts chaser car 2006 HHR DOES have EPS and I happen to have an extra parts car but I looked on the parts car and I can't see where the unit might be on the steering column,,,??

What year and model EPS did you wind up with?

DesertJoe, The newest unit came from a 2005 equinox. the HHR MAY work but you will need to verify that it looks exactly like the unit i just posted. it needs to be a metal ECU case with black connectors. (the DC motor to ECU is likely going to be a blue connector and that is perfectly okay) engine driven pumps were not as common but were around for a few years. both units i pulled these EPS units from were from 3400 series engines. sounds crude, but if you go in and yank on the plastic panel below the steering wheel (knee guard) it pops right off and the eps is right in plain sight. 

I grabbed 2 units, took me all of 20 minutes to pull both of them out.. It is a very easy job with a 10mm and 13mm socket as well as some wire cutters. 
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 6:55am
I was able to make a bit more headway last night with the refit. the old and new unit as very similar. ECU is smaller which is nice, Less wiring and a slightly different bolt pattern as the original mount. the shaft size and unit length are identical. 

Here is the new template made up for the mount. 

And the bracket finished back up. I was able to cut the original mount off and reweld this one in place. it will still use the existing 2 bolts as the original mount did. 

I cut my old shaft extension off and installed it onto this unit. simple process that just requires a bit of grinding to make the weld look better. 

I also was able to thin down the steering box side to the same size as before. I drilled a hole for a 1/4-20 bolt to pass through with a nut on the other side. 

I did need to cut the wires for the torque sensors to extend them. i just took photos to remember what went where! the ECU will be mounted on the left frame rail so they will need to be extended roughly 18 inches or so. 

Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 6:57am
More headway on the power steering last night. It got its first test! and it worked! 

I had to extend the torque sensor wires 24" to get back to the ECU that i mounted on the left frame rail. 

i also purchased a 50A circuit breaker for the power side rather than a fuse. this should work well if it ever decided to overload. 

Here is the ECU mounted on the left frame rail, I was able to put the circuit breaker in place just behind it with access to the studs from above. 

The new motor setup in place and bolted together

And both items in the same photo. 

I still have some wiring to clean up and get into spot, Should be finished up in the next couple of days. 

Edited by Jtaylor - 21 Apr 2022 at 6:59am
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 7:36pm
Are these power steering units weather proof?
I see they were originally mounted under the dash, inside the cabin.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2022 at 10:23pm
Oh Oh! Someone said the quiet part out loud!
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:20am
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

Are these power steering units weather proof?
I see they were originally mounted under the dash, inside the cabin.

On their own, without modification they are not totally weatherproof. I have added a seal to the input shaft to keep water out of the torque sensors, the wiring for those sensors run from a different area and needs to be silicone up to be water tight. 

Keep in mind the location of where i placed this unit is under both the hood and grille / radiator area. very well protected from the elements. 

These units have been used in many buggy applications with great success out in the elements. 
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2022 at 6:25am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Oh Oh! Someone said the quiet part out loud!

This EPS unit is virtually silent. I cannot hear it even while sitting over top of it and running. 
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 6:24am
I was able to get it painted up with the rest of the tractor over the weekend. Just some wiring left to do and it will be all set to go! 

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 12:08pm

wow,,jUSTIN YOU GOT THAT THING LOOKING GREAT,,!!

I got a question, with the other guys using different units from different cars,,I'm kinda curious did you'll use a particular car unit because of it's electrical function OR is it just what was available,,??  I've read many articles and some people use the Toyota Prius, the Saturn Vue, one used a "Sports Car" unit and even a volkswagon,,,??  Reason is,, I have a 2006 Chevy HHR parts car with a good EPS unit that I'm getting it taken out as we speak. What you think??
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2022 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

wow,,jUSTIN YOU GOT THAT THING LOOKING GREAT,,!!

I got a question, with the other guys using different units from different cars,,I'm kinda curious did you'll use a particular car unit because of it's electrical function OR is it just what was available,,??  I've read many articles and some people use the Toyota Prius, the Saturn Vue, one used a "Sports Car" unit and even a volkswagon,,,??  Reason is,, I have a 2006 Chevy HHR parts car with a good EPS unit that I'm getting it taken out as we speak. What you think??

The only issue with the HHR EPS is it should be the same as the unit i had to begin with, It will not power up without canbus connections which we do not have on the tractor of course. you need to be sure you have the correct unit. 

The other units will work, the Saturn EPS was the most common swap to begin with and the info on the web is a lot more extensive. the nice part about the newer different model swaps is they have a built in failsafe to give you assisted steering in the event of canbus failure. this allows the unit to be solely installed without the need for a conversion box as i had to purchase. downfall, The units are typically larger in size as the saturn/equinox units are among the smallest. not a crazy amount smaller. The area i was working with I wanted to be sure it was well hidden. 
Jtaylor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jtaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2022 at 7:49am
A quick update, 

The tractor is still in the rebuild stage of its restoration.. I have run it back and fourth for short periods at a time. this steering works great! it is really simple to use and makes a very light feeling steering wheel. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic