This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 9:25pm
Sugarmaker,
I bought a new Bad Boy zero turn mower last year. I ran it threw a barbed wire fence. Almost tore my head off. I'm not in love with it, but at least it's orange.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2019 at 11:00pm
Ranse,
 That is not a good thing! Hope you were not seriously hurt on the mower accident?

Folks,
Cleaning up details on the Allis refurb, clean and paint project. 

The sediment bowl/ valve assembly. A light sand blasting, buffed the brass and a shot of clear. I was cleaning the glass bowl for the last three days. finally picked up a chunk of scotch brite and it was really cleaning up nice till I dropped it and it shattered. I reached over and picked up a glass bowl that my cousin had given me a couple weeks ago. Guess my uncle wanted me to use that one! It wa on one of the WD's that I got from his place!
I had also lost the screen that was in there. Missing for three days. Looked down and it was laying on the table. Weird stuff going on here!
Similar strange thing: I was mowing the big field at the show grounds. IH Super A and Swisher tag mower. Mowed for 2 hours and in the middle of the yard the Swisher stops. I get off it starts up and before I get back on the tractor it quits again. I get ready to start it and my phone rings Its my cousin (same one) Telling me they have cleaned out the desk I just bought from him that had been in his and his dads house for 50 years. Prior was our grandmothers. If the mower had not quit I would not have got that call right then. Again weird stuff., Sorry to bore you with my massive amounts of trivia!

WD stuff!  Linkages for throttle in place. All good!
 Sediment bowl mount.

I have spent some extra time detailing paint defects created durring installation of items and hardware. I learned that from someone on the IH forum I believe? Anyway it does look better when things are tidied up!
Alternator in place:

Set the tank in place and I took my time and formed/fit the gas line back behind the air box oil pan and up over the headlight. Looks pretty good too!

The flying tire syndrom!
Yea these good 13.6-28's will be de-mounted, rims adjusted and hopefully new 14.9-28's mounted in a couple weeks. Just snuck that in there.

Wife says I am NOT going to fix up the 17. That tractor has her birth month and day in the transmission number! Seems like she would like to have it pretty? I mean, I bought it for her!Smile But I might steal the front tires and put them on my WD45. They are one size bigger but are in better shape (Newer) and the right colors for me too! 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Aug 2019 at 9:27pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 9:16am
Chris, if you are going to widen those rims it would probably be much easier to get new 13" rims. Not much more expensive in the long run I'm guessing.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2019 at 8:52pm
Mike,
 The mods I did on Nics rims brought them to 14 inches. The new tires fit them good.
I checked on site for pricing 12 inch wide were $435 each. I didnt see 14 wide ones but I am sure not any cheaper. Not in my budget right now so I may whittle and weld on these a little. 

Worked on little stuff tonight. Rad touch up. Found the wiring system. Will see what I can salvage from that. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Jun 2019 at 8:52pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 7:17am
I don't think they make 14" rims. They go from 13" to 15"
I had a couple of those "barrel clamps" that were stripped too. Sandy lake fixed me up with some new ones.

Just my experience and from reading on here, I'd be a little worried about the new traction boost gauge. Mine had the needle fall off after 10 hours. Another 10 hours and it filled with fluid. It wasn't from Sandy Lake though. Lots of others on here have complained too. I hope Sandy found a better supplier.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 8:57pm
Folks,
 Dave, I talked with Brenda at Sandy Lake and mentioned the issues I had heard about the Traction Booster gages. She had not heard of any issues and said that they have a warranty on them. I need to call and see the status of things she was rounding up for me. 

I took the rims/ 13.6-28 tires and got them de-mounted. These rims were on one of the WD's and are 10 inch rims not 12 inch wide. So I will need to add 4 inches not 2 inches. Not quite as easy since the rim cut area, is a inch under the bend in the rail. Looks like it will work. Need to go get the steel and do some cutting fitting and fab work.
Ordered the 14.9-28 Crop max tires today.

Marking method for the cut on the back side of the rim.

Put radiator into the grill shell:

And then mounted it to the tractor: Starting to look presentable again.

Still mired in the details and paint touch up. Took aluminized paint off muffler and painted it with NAPA VHT very high temp silver. Mounting brackets for exhaust painted high temp black.
Hood may go on tomorrow for it up.

May have to take starter off again, have some paint that went to crinkle texture due to cleaning off over spray.

Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good in orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2019 at 10:08pm
I know you took your time on that fuel line and it looks outstanding good sir๐Ÿ‘Œ
โ€˜42B,โ€™45B,โ€™48C,โ€™51CA,โ€™52CA,โ€™69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isnโ€™t how you die.Itโ€™s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:04am
Chris, man this thing is lookin awesome.That's going to be one fine specimen of a wd-45,you should be very proud.One thing,it's something my dad did, is put some rubber cushion of some sort under the radiator shell.I think he used some pieces of inner tube.It kept from shaking the rad core apart over time.When I got my 45 in 2001 it had some rubber already under it.Any way it's looking great.It's been a long journey since you got this ole girl to where things are today.This has been fun to watch!!AWESOME JUST AWESOME!!!Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Clap  Clap      p.s.  Iv'e got a 45 gas and a 45 diesel here that could use some tlc...what's your schedule lookin like..lol...LOL

Edited by ac45dave - 26 Jun 2019 at 11:22am
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:31am
You're right ac45 Dave, Steiners sold me the rubber pads that are under my grill.

Chris,
I can tell you're excited to get into those wheels. I'm pretty impressed that you can get them cut good and straight and the new piece welded back in. I guess all it takes is time right? And some know-how
Steve Bright View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 11:44am
Put a 3 bolt wide front on my 1941 WC, and changed the mag out for a distributor, also converted to 12 volt
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2019 at 2:24pm
Folks,
Thanks for taking time to check on this build! 
I did not put rubber under the grill to frame connections. Probably makes sense!
Today I worked on fitting the hood and band.  Gary stopped over and assisted in getting the band on. Looks pretty good. 

Have one rim cut and the steel ordered, so we are moving forward, slowly!

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 5:39pm
Folks,
 Time to work on rims. I try to wait til its 90 and high humidity. 
These lenox (sp) blades are good to use. pricy but work good. One blade for this project so far.

Rim comes apart as planned, just beyond rim radius:

Doesnt show up well but the cut is on the left side:

So on a 10 inch rim the supports for the rails have to be cut into at the weld joint to separate the edge of the rim:

The 4 inch band of 1/8 thick steel took a while to blacksmith into a hoop. Harder than the 2 inch ones I did on the last set I modified:

Get out all the clamps you own and start the assembly/ fit up process:

Edge of old rim tacked in place:

Second rim in process:

Thats enough for today. I was happy with the work on these. Tire shop said there would be no issues getting the tires on these. 

Regards,
 Chris

frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 6:06pm
Chris,
Nice work!

I notice on your marking block that it says 88.735 and that comes out to 28.245 diameter. Is that the dimension you use for your ring? 87.965 is a 28" circle. Do the rims run large? Also, what is the thickness of your ring?

I'd like to try this, during the winter, what is the part # for the cut off blade?

Edited by frnkeore - 28 Jun 2019 at 6:07pm
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2019 at 9:35pm
Folks,
Frank,
 Your observant! And checked my math too! I actually cut the strips 90 inches. Had a overlap and then custom cut the outside end to match the inside. I had to make a cut in the second rim edge because it would not match up with the new band. Its only steel!Smile

I used 1/8 thick steel strip, 4 inches wide. 

I dont know what the blade number is. I got them at NAPA. Two things I like. They last about 10 times longer and they dont reduce in size. In fact I have done a lot with two blades and they still have some edge (diamond grit) on them. They do cost more.

The weather was perfect for mig welding tonight. No breeze and cooler. So I laid down 720 inches of weld. It will get smoothed up a lot with grinding wheels to be presentable on the show side, and smooth for the tube. I am really having a hard time seeing the joint while welding! May need a new hood or my eyes are just worse. I have trifocals and a magnifier in the hood too.

I like the way the 12 inch rims looked after adding 2 inches. This is going to have to grow on me a little.:)  Grinding, cleaning, primer and silver paint next.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Jun 2019 at 7:33am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 7:30am
Great job, as always!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 12:55pm
Folks,
 Mike,
 Thanks!
I whittled more on these rims in the fab shop and now they are ready for paint.

If I can get these through paint, maybe I can work on electrical next week?
 Decided to use my old Traction booster gage for now, not even sure it works?
Starting to think about break in method if this engine runs. Any suggestions? It was suggested that I plow some ground with it. I do have a old three bottom plow. I have never had to break in a new overhauled engine.
Regards,
 Chris

Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 1:22pm
Looking good Chris!
Suggestion for seeing the welding seam:
Mark the seam with soapstone.
That's helped me a number of times.
Have a great weekend, my friend!
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 8:06pm
Jim,
That is a welding idea I had not heard before. I assume it has no effect on the weld. I may have to try that! Good suggestion!

Folks,
Rear rims are done, but here they are in primer. Used Rustoleum silver hammered paint for the top coat. 

Centers needed a fresh coat of cream.

Tires should be in this week. Will try to get them mounted. Should be able to get the tractor back on its feet soon! Its been a year!
Before:
Current:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Jul 2019 at 6:17am
frnkeore View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frnkeore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 8:24pm
Chris, excellent workmanship and it give me more instinctive to do a set of mine.

"Jim,
That is a welding idea I had not heard before. I assume it has not effect on the weld. I may have to try that! Good suggestion!"

Jim, I also agree, I'm always loosing the joint when I weld. I will also try it. Thank you.

Edited by frnkeore - 29 Jun 2019 at 8:26pm
Frank
1959 D17 Series I #24001+, '59 D14
'55 & '59 Ford 850 & 861
Ferguson TO 35 Deluxe, Oliver 70 and 5 more.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2019 at 11:06pm
lol... Way way back when I was first learning to weld (back in the 70's), one of the first things I was taught was "Use the soapstone or else!" There were a lot of "else's" over those first few projects. But I learned.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 8:46pm
Oh man sugarmaker that is some fantastic welding! I didn't expect you to split the bead area off and expand it there, I figured you'd cut the rim right in the middle (but then you'd have to fight with the spin-out rim rails getting cut in two). Any concerns with the tire tube sitting in a weird position with that partial hump on 1/3 of the rim? Looks great!

Speaking of rear wheels... Did you end up putting in new rear wheel cones and bearings when you were doing all that stuff with the final drives?

As an aside about front wheels -- My parts came in for the hubs. Hoping this next weekend is cool and I can get back out there and do some work.

Lovin' the paint job, too!

Edited by garden_guy - 30 Jun 2019 at 8:46pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2019 at 9:17pm
GG, Folks,
Thanks! The welding is just hot and sparky and continue till done. The sliding rails have to be pretty much left in position or they are not going to function as intended. I might have been able to cut down in the smallest portion of the rim but it would have been more work to get the rim un attached from the rails. Hoping the new tires slip right on there. Havent decide if I am going to get my first set back from Nic or go with this on this tractor?:)

Yes I put in all new bearings races and had the axles turned for undersized seals on the lower final drives. The bearings were not junk or falling apart, but its just the right thing to do while your in there!Smile 
Kind of like Bobby Bradley suggesting I do the brakes! Yea not easy, cheap, or fun, but very glad I did them now!

I did get the light housings scuffed and painted. Should be into electrical this week.

The fender egg light is going to be black on this tractor, my others were orange.

Traction booster gage (old one) is mounted. Face looks bad but, from the side you will never know!:) 
I just cleaned all the oil lines and clear coated them. 
Have to get hydraulic hoses for the lift cylinders too.

My helper on these tractor projects: Maggie 

Thanks for checking on me. (lots of times!!) Looks like we are going over the 50K mark in views soon! Wow! Thanks for all the support, you guys have been great! Man I hope this thing runs, moves, steers, and doesnt leave oil all over!

Regards,
 Chris

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 5:13am
Cheering you on from central Massachusetts, Chris! Happy 4th of July week. Big smile

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 8:26am
Typical Golden Retriever! Tennis ball at the ready, just waiting for someone to throw it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 1:57pm
Mike,
 Maggie is a retriever not a giver! She will not drop the ball unless its her idea!
WD related: picked up one of the electrical items $.50 diode. The key switch will be in Wed. I had the wrong one. I want one with the ACC terminal for the exiciter wire back to the alternator.
Also took the rear rims to the tire shop and had the new rubber mounted. They look good! If I was ambitious I could have this tractor on all four legs today. 
Just got done brush hogging a couple acres at Kelly's place where I can do some plowing for engine break in. The Jubilee never missed a beat. Grass is 2 feet higher than the hood!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Jul 2019 at 1:59pm
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 6:30pm
Chris and folks, 
Do you know how to make a dog drop something out of their mouth? 
You reach to just in front of the rear leg, (either side), with your fingers behind that "web" and lift just a little to lift the foot just off the ground. 
They'll drop what's in their mouth and go for your hand. 
It doesn't take much upward lift pressure. 

Glad to hear that my soapstone tip will help you. 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 6:41pm
Taking time for Ashtabula this weekend?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2019 at 9:11pm
Jim, 
Thanks I may try that dog training with Maggie and her ball.
exSW,
May go Friday if weather is OK. That is a nice show and flea market too. Then we typically go to Mespo for ox roast and browse the flea market.

Folks,
 I got the rear tires today. mostly good news. They got them mounted. When I got hem home I found a couple small bubbles of soap coming through at the weld seam. You would think welding both sides I would have not had that. So I will monitor this issue. actual length total is maybe .25 inches? More like pin holes.

Wheel stops and hardware ready for the center:

I tape the little parts on the eccentrics so they don't fall out:

My installation method:

Put the hard one on first, had to use most of my tricks to get this into position:

Then the left one:

Hey! It rolls! Out of the garage! Lots of touch up.

We hit the 50K views today too! You guys hung in there, through all my ramblings, during this WD45 build.
 I think there is light at the end of the tunnel or maybe just the train?Smile

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 6:54am
Love those new tires Chris! Glad you were finally able to get them. You're getting close!
Funny though how your friend Allis dave only stops by to drive the tractors and not to work on them. It's like my favorite story, The Little Red Hen

Here's the break in answers I got a few years ago.
I loaded some round bales on a wagon and pulled. I never noticed any ring seating issues. Seems like they seated almost immediately. I used JCensoredDCensored break in oil for about 20 hours.

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:29am
Chris, I'm glad to see that you are getting close to running your tractor and having even more fun with it. You have been very generous with all the pictures and descriptions of the work you have done plus all the info added by others. I have learned quite a bit while following your project.` Can't wait to see it running and maybe plowing. Have a great July 4. Thanks, Russell.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 45>
  Share Topic