This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC/WD Pulling Clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WC/WD Pulling Clutch
    Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:45pm
What are you guys using for clutches in your pulling tractors WC/WD?? I am working on one that is gonna put out an insane amout of tourque(400lb/ft) and I was wondering what you guys used to handle it? I was thinking about maybe a multiple disc set-up??
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Sponsored Links

Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 12:54pm
I know THE MAN and wi50 both have twin disk clutches they made. Nice looking piece.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 2:16pm
I've made a couple twin disc setups for these tractors in different ways. There may be some pictures posted in some old threads if you can wade through the muck and bs from our forum vi.

The tricky part is figureing out the placement and how to hold the ring gear for the OEM starter to work correctly.  Next is do you want a light or heavy flywheel?  I've got a verry heavy one I built for an unlimeted RPM tractor that I'd try to turn as high as it would go, sometimes to 6500 RPM range.  I figured heavy was better as the engine was leaving the starting line at 4500 RPM, had some free time to wind up and build up some energy for when the load hit.  I built a light one for a governed RPM tractor for MPH pulling.  I just figured I wanted to acclerate the engine as the load hits and I wanted a lighter package to try and acclerate. 

I can find some pictures of them and post sometime soon if you want.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2013 at 6:23pm
Well, a stock D17 engine makes 200 to 211 ft lbs of torque from 1650 RPM down to 900 RPM and 63 flywheel HP. I've built several AC pulling engines that have made double of both numbers  (at no more than 2200 RPM) and have always used a 4 button clutch disc (from a Gleaner K combine) and a WD-45 9-spring pressure plate. My application has never required a 4,000 rpm standing start in road gear, but many times down the track running 3rd gear and have never replaced a clutch yet (15 yrs) and never had one slip either. Your results may vary.
Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 11:59pm
I second the idea of using a WD45 9 spring pressure plate with a good button puck disc. This keeps things simple and should be adequet for your application. Kip
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
jpankey View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 3:11pm
MLpankey ran third a lot also like dr allis engine a lot alike with buda rods . He ran a four button until it started slipping on the big end then went down to two buttons .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic