This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC and WD Piston Rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WC and WD Piston Rings
    Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 11:32am
What do you guys think of this idea? WC's and WD's use three 1/8" thick compression rings. I considered using two 1/16" thick rings in each of 2 of the compression ring grooves and stagger the gaps. This duplicates a gapless ring. Also, use a .030" over ring in a standard bore and file fit the end gap to AC specs. What about using 2 of the compression ring grooves instead of 3 as do modern 4 stroke gas engines? Chrome Moly, Plasma Chrome Moly, or cast iron rings are another consideration. What's your thoughts?
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 3:34pm
I would just call "Total Seal Rings" and get a set of gapless rings that are designed to work.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2024 at 4:57pm
I've tried the two 1/16" rings in one groove and the gaps seem to work towards each other has been my experience.
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 6:39am
Finding compression rings that are 1/8" thick seems to be a big problem.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 7:20am
What you want to do will work, but be advised the gap thing probably won't be what you think it will be.
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 9:49am
What about 2 compression ring grooves instead of 3? I've heard of people leaving one groove empty? What's your thoughts?

I'm running a WC block with 4" bore in great shape (bore measures essentially 0 wear),  .010" under WD45 Crank, WC Cyl Head with nice triple angle valve job and ports cleaned up, older WC cast iron pistons, D-17 gov spring, and Delco distributor with recurved mechanical advance. Painstakingly calculated C.R. is 7.04:1.  It runs real nice (on regular gas for chores and premium for pulling) but I recently picked up some real nice 1948 WC Aluminum pistons that I want to put in to replace the cast iron units. This will bring the CR to 8.0:1 and the aluminum pistons should dissipate heat far better and are far lighter than the cast iron units.  I want to balance the rods, pistons, and crank.  I also have another WC cyl head that I will do the same valve job and port work as the present cyl head. While I'm in there, the big question is what to do about piston rings? The Al pistons still have 3 compression rings at 1/8" thick. Thoughts?

Edited by Phil48ACWC - 28 Jan 2024 at 10:45am
steve fischer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve fischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 10:26am
I dont think I wound use the .030 overs will not fit the bore rings only have about a .005 range . lower compression rings also help for oil control .  general rule end gape is .004 pre inch so a 4 inch bore x .004 is .016 
My thoughts 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 3:00pm
Believe what you wish, however if your engine has low compression as you say running on premium gas for pulling will actually have LESS horse power. The octane rating is the fuel's resistance to igniting and without the compression the fuel will resist igniting completely.  Any engine will produce the most horsepower on the lowest octane gasoline fuel that doesn't incur knocking.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2024 at 6:29pm
pual b is correct,  race gas without compression will not burn with a torch  on it and 82 octane will ignite 10 feet away with a spark  run the lowest octane you can without detionation (pinging)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic