This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wasps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wasps
    Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 10:17pm
Anybody else over run with the darn pests this summer? I think I've been stung more times by these darn pests than my honey bees. Every time I move something that has set more than 2 weeks I find them. We haven't had many mosquitoes, ticks, or fly's but these silly darn things are all over. I think I've used up a dozen or so cans of the 99 cent wasp and hornet killer.
Sponsored Links

festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 10:28pm
I used to have them real bad around the house.  Now in the spring first sign of them I kill them or through gas on them before they have time to multiply.   I have cut down on the the numbers significantly.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 6:48am
Had to 'shoot' some at the front of church ... someone said there are more around this year, or more people are talking about them.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 7:24am
We've seen a bunch of them this year too. According to my father in law, if you hold your breath they can't sting you because your skin isn't breathing. He claims he used to do this when he would hit a yellow jackets or wasps or hornets nest when he was doing a lot of grading. Claims when he saw them come up he would hold his breath and put the dozer in reverse and start knocking them off of him. Don't know how true it is. Never tried it
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 11:49am
Originally posted by thendrix thendrix wrote:

We've seen a bunch of them this year too. According to my father in law, if you hold your breath they can't sting you because your skin isn't breathing. He claims he used to do this when he would hit a yellow jackets or wasps or hornets nest when he was doing a lot of grading. Claims when he saw them come up he would hold his breath and put the dozer in reverse and start knocking them off of him. Don't know how true it is. Never tried it

I don't know about the wasps,but that idea has to do with honey bees. In nature bears where the cridder that is the hardest for them to chase away from the hive. So they go after the carbon monoxide/or the warmer air the bears are exhaling as there nose is about the only thing there stinger can do damage to.

I have disced up yellow jacket nests ( ground bees,meat bees) and seen a few that must have been using this idea as they dive bomb the tractor exhaust pipe.  I have held my breath and got lucky,other times not so much.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 3:07pm
I walked around the house last week and killed three nests up under the overhangs. Last time I got stung my hand swelled up for three days. Went to doctor and told him I have never been allergic to them before.   He said "You are now".🙄
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 3:27pm
Can relate, had a slight reaction to a Paper Wasp(Bald Face Hornet) a number of years ago, doc told me if EVER Stung again head to the ER and tell them as will most likely have a reaction SEVERE, next time.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:17pm
Wasps seem to be greater supply this year.. I kill them every week... Use to you did it a couple times a year........... and we got plenty of SPIDERS also.. Daily chore to clean cobwebs and spray the ones you see.......... Not so may flys, nats, or others.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:36pm
I hauled three tractor carcasses to the junkyard today  I will them deal with them  Wasps were in all three.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 4:53pm
I hung 2 of those 99cent store 'paper wasp nest' by garage and NO real wasps in sight !! No bees either !!
Best 2 bux I've spent all summer.....

sorry I lied, I replaced one after a BIG wind storm came by.... so 3 Canucks...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:31pm
I got chased down bu a swarm of those bald faced hornets the other day.  Not too bad, only got bit 3 or 4 times, and I can't run very fast at all.  I wished they had to put flashing lights on those things!  I've got caught off guard twice now because I didn't see the nest.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:08pm
I went and got a back treatment from our Dr. I ask him if they'd had much trouble with them this year. He said people have had a lot of trouble with them.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:33pm
Yesterday I went to pull a battery core out of a old suburban.  Stirred up a BIG red wasp nest when I opened the hood.  Got away quick without getin stung.  Went back early this morning in the dark with a flashlight and pulled the battery. I woke up 3 just as it was getting light enough to see them and mashed them to jelly with my flashlight. I figure the $18 for the core was worth the chance of getting stung.

thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 10:06pm
Next time you get stung go get a cotton ball or some toilet paper and put some bleach on the sting. It'll stop hurting and won't swell. Or mine don't anyway. I don't know that it'll do much for those that are allergic but it really helps me
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 6:40am
Fresh slice of strong onion does too, found that out when was a kid.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 8:48am

Great post for the info,,!!  I too have seen many more Black Widows this year, so I keep a jug of Home Defense in the garage. Our latest Grandson goin on 4 just loves to stick his hands into any dark hole he sees BUT,,,he come runnin out the garage  SCREAMIMG  one time holdin his hand out and he had a little spider crawlin on his hand so I knocked it off and chewed him out,,,again,,,but it did not bite him as it did not swell up,,,but Chit,,, 2 hours later there he is again,,,he ain't gonna believe me til he gets bit and he experiences the pain I'm thinkin
 Great ideas on the antidotes,,,,ClapClap
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 12:22pm
Folks,
Brush hogging with the D17 this morning and made a circle around a tree and drove away when a bee/wasp/hornet nailed me in the back of the head. I have been stung many times and it still hurts! No idea what it was, and did not see a nest in the tree? Maybe ground bees? 
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 12:31pm
lots of yellow jackets on the hill this year
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 10:16pm
Haven't seen a single one here this year.  Must have all drowned as it has rained just about every day since June 2.  Raining again now. 
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 11:46pm
Seems like more here this year too. We bought our house in 2006. Have always had a few show up around the porch every year. Spray em and smash em whenever I see them and has not been any worse than that until this year. I've had the WD and WD45 here since 2015 and not an issue with them either until this year. Noticed wasps around the toolbox and air intake on the WD one day. Sure enough they had a nest built inside the toolbox and inside the air intake cap. Took care of them and their nests then figured I'd better check the same on the WD45. They were in that toolbox too but not the air intake. Thought I was done with them for awhile. Just a couple days later I was getting the WD45 ready for a local tractor show. My preparations included hooking up my utility trailer to the WD45 so that I could haul 2 of my L&G tractors to the show too. As I was doing so, I had placed 1 hand on 1 of the WD45's lift arm latches and immediately got stung on my thumb. Retreated to the house to treat the sting. When I went back out, there was still a couple wasps hovering around the lift arm. Sprayed them and when they hit the ground, they got the blow torch. Waited a few minutes and after not seeing any more, I opened the lift arm latch to discover a nest inside that but no more wasps. Hit that with the torch too. That was a couple weeks ago. Just the other day while walking the dogs, I noticed a couple more flying around the 190XT which has only been here for a month now. I have yet to investigate and eradicate this latest sighting.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 8:25am
Is it the orange color or what that attracts to these tractors?
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2019 at 11:36am
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Is it the orange color or what that attracts to these tractors?

Wink Must be the color cause the HD5 carcusses I was given all had many wasp nests. The good,Tongue possums or skunks or something has been taking the nests apart.Clap The bad Cry the case one has a 3/8 inch wide crack with wasps going in and out, don't think the other critters will get that nest.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 3:29am
Originally posted by VirginiaBrandon VirginiaBrandon wrote:

Carpenter bees became a real curse last summer. They spoiled almost all my furniture, damn it.
Never heard of carpenter bees....carpenter ants, yes.  Where do you live that they are a problem?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 4:48am
Have carpenter bees here, aggressive, look similar to bumble bees but bore into exposed wood to make a nest, absolute brutal on cedar decks.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 7:48pm
Came across this down at the farm over the weekend. Was laying near the road. Amazed at what a bunch of insects can build.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 10:08pm
we always called them BORE BEES.... for drilling holes.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2022 at 4:41am
Bald faced hornets or ‘Paper Wasp’ nest, ugly little buggers built one nest at the farm on a bus window, could see them working in it when first spotted it, then they miraculously went away, used wasp and hornet spray on the nest at first light.
ErinHenry552 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErinHenry552 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 8:03pm
Pest control is a nightmare. Once we called a special service to get rid of parasites. It seems like all the chemicals should have worn off in 2 days, but half a year later we still smell this terrible smell.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2022 at 8:21pm

Different people used to call my Dad to come get rid of them wasps, yellow jackets and bumble bees,,he didn't have no secret but had a lot of respect for em,,He would wait til after dark and get a coffee can bout half full of gasoline and walk up to the nest and just give em the whole can of gasoline,,!! You could hear them hitting the ground all around and by morning that was all gone,,,,Clap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 1:42am
spray them with hair spray...it weights their wings down and they can't fly...and if they do fly before you hit them....ad a bic lighter to the spray...that always gits them! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic