This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanting a 5.0 HO Ferd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanting a 5.0 HO Ferd
    Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 7:06am
I’m looking for a 302 ho. Must be a roller motor and prefer the Mustang motor.
I’m gonna make fish habitat out of the ole 6banger in my work truck.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 7:49am
 Naw Thad,,,,,you just ain't gonna chit ole Joe,,,, you is wantin to chit can thet poor old High Torque low RPM engine for one of them high winding fords that reminds you of your roundy round days,,,,UMMmmm,,,,,does Ms Jenn know what you plannin,,,,,,LOL
 ( UMmmm I ain't ever got over my drag racing either)LOL
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 8:08am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Naw Thad,,,,,you just ain't gonna chit ole Joe,,,, you is wantin to chit can thet poor old High Torque low RPM engine for one of them high winding fords that reminds you of your roundy round days,,,,UMMmmm,,,,,does Ms Jenn know what you plannin,,,,,,LOL

She doesn’t have a clue but but but I’m still in the learning process of justification for my toys. I’ll get this all learned up. I have to stop and pull the carb and tighten the float bowl screws about once a month or at least tighten the carb up on the slow old gas hog 6 banger. I’ve tried a couple different carbs and haven’t beat 9 mpg yet. It pulls amazingly but it’s slow getting rolling to the point of dangerous. I really like the truck so I’m gonna v8 it. I found a 351w ho 4v a bit ago. We’ll see if it’s still available in a couple weeks.
Scott B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 8:51am

Now ole Joe, he’ll do just fine with Ms. Jenn. He said himself “he knows just how to whisper to the ladies exactly what they wanna hear”. I read it right here on the forum so it’s gotta be true.
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 12:57pm
I whisper that stuff and I get slapped. LOL

Them gals say if your handsome it's romantic, if your not it's sexual harassment. Wink

Edited by chaskaduo - 16 Mar 2019 at 1:01pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 5:05am
Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

Now ole Joe, he’ll do just fine with Ms. Jenn. He said himself “he knows just how to whisper to the ladies exactly what they wanna hear”. I read it right here on the forum so it’s gotta be true.

Well now,,,Scottie,,,,,I was really wantin to believe ole Thad even tho I still "think" he's just wantin  to do a little nostalgin bout them good old roundiy round days ,,,,but you're right on that one,,,if they say it here it gots to be pretty much,,,,,,gospel,,,WinkWinkClap
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 7:42am
me too Chaz! and i'm the most good lookin in our family!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 10:30am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Thas NO FAIR,,Shameless,,,you,,,you,,,told me you was an only child,,,,,WinkWink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 11:27am
Yeah they found him under a rock. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 6:43pm

Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

Thas NO FAIR,,Shameless,,,you,,,you,,,told me you was an only child,,,,,WinkWink

I am sure you just miss understood him..........."he wished he was a only child"Wink, but I think world is better having the stockholders. He can get most of his frustrations poured out on themWink ............we just get the leftovers.Wink LOLLOLLOL
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 9:54pm
have ya checked in to what will fit your tranny???or ya gonna change it too??  them blasted ferds, each engine family has a different trans/engine bolt pattern,,, now the chevy folks figured this out , and made them all the same,,but leave it to Ford to do it all different... 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 4:52am
Originally posted by Michael V (NM) Michael V (NM) wrote:

have ya checked in to what will fit your tranny???or ya gonna change it too??  them blasted ferds, each engine family has a different trans/engine bolt pattern,,, now the chevy folks figured this out , and made them all the same,,but leave it to Ford to do it all different... 

Yes I have. It’s a C6 and a 302 or 351w will bolt up.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Yeah they found him under a rock. Wink

That had been dropped from a air plane
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 8:58am
The 351 fell through before we got home from Hawaii. I found a GT40P 302 for a good price but must use p headers or p manifolds. Have to change timing cover for mechanical fuel pump find a distributor to work with the roller cam and a 4x4 pan and pickup tube. I don’t have that kind of time anymore.
I’m looking for an offenhauser intake for my 6 banger and some EFI exhaust manifolds.
I’ve been reading on the 6 bangers a lot and this seems to be the best combo. Those intakes aren’t cheap. I’ve looked and looked for a used one with no luck at all.
It only has 70000 miles so I’m gonna try to like it. The motor seems strong just that the YFA carb and the eve/smog crap is junk.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:30pm
    Hey Thad,,,you gots a welder and a cuttin torch ain't you?  You just gots to do a split manifold on thet 6 banger,,talk bout the absolute neatest sounding engine is a 6 banger with a split manifold. I'm wonderin if thet engine can be a candidate for a "Duraspark Conversion" and throw thet sorry carb and all it's smog and epa stuff in the river.
 I did one on a 6 cylinder BroncoII that worked many wonderfuls,,,!!!! I'm sure the engine picked up some "get up and Go" after the conversion. You reckon that would work for your trk,,??
  I been picking ole Fixer's mind on this and am just about to try to put a spark on a 1000 CC 3 cylinder Geo engine for my side by side,,, Chit,,,I rmemeber now,,,you helped me locate that  big Harley carb to use instead of thet junkie Geo epa carb,,,, I got it to "cough" a couple of time today till the dang starter bendix went south on me. Dismantled the starter and tried to "pin" the bendix but PO had already done that so gonna Have to order one off ebay....
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 10:34pm
That's too bad the Ferd 302 would not work for you. I had me one Ferd in my whole life and it was a GT with that 302 in it. It ran well but was scary dangerous when it was wet because it wanted to swap ends if you half way mashed the go pedal. I also seem to remember the steering was very quick and if you sneezed while driving and jerked the wheel just a tad it would just about send you towards the ditch. 😳😬
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 6:34am

Hey Thad,,,you gots a welder and a cuttin torch ain't you?  You just gots to do a split manifold on thet 6 banger,,talk bout the absolute neatest sounding engine is a 6 banger with a split manifold. I'm wonderin if thet engine can be a candidate for a "Duraspark Conversion" and throw thet sorry carb and all it's smog and epa stuff in the river.
 I did one on a 6 cylinder BroncoII that worked many wonderfuls,,,!!!! I'm sure the engine picked up some "get up and Go" after the conversion. You reckon that would work for your trk,,??
  I been picking ole Fixer's mind on this and am just about to try to put a spark on a 1000 CC 3 cylinder Geo engine for my side by side,,, Chit,,,I rmemeber now,,,you helped me locate that  big Harley carb to use instead of thet junkie Geo epa carb,,,, I got it to "cough" a couple of time today till the dang starter bendix went south on me. Dismantled the starter and tried to "pin" the bendix but PO had already done that so gonna Have to order one off ebay....

Joe if I do this I’m gonna put fuel injection manifolds on at the same time. They are like cast iron headers. They normally run into a y pipe and 1 pipe. I will put duals on it just for you.
Also I know where some of them manifolds are. There’s this feller right across the river from Shameless. That has some on his truck.
Seeing as how ole Shameless likes to mechanic on Fords maybe for some black label he might slip across that river in the night and gets me them there manifolds.
It already has the Duraspark but the YFA 1v’s are known junk and these motors don’t take well to egr delete not properly done.
Right now I’m avg 8 mpg. The stuff I’m reading says the offy and small 4v. And EFI manifolds should bear double my mpg and they say the power increase is very substantial.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:31am
 Shoot,,Thad,,,you done figured most of the project out,,,just got to get a few details ironed out,,,,Clap  I have my doubts to gettin ole Shameless to even "touch" them Ford parts,,,let alone wrench on em,,,,Wink,,,BUT,,,,,
  On the premis of invitin ole Les,,,er I meant thet fellar you know across the river from ole Shameless,,,,invitin him to a Sunday cruise on the motorcycles,,,,you could put a "Sales Job" on him for them manifolds,,,Chit,,,he'd prolly help you take em off,,,!!!
 SAY,,,where in the heck is our Buddy,,Les,,,,You don't reckon he's tryin to pick all them Aronias by hisself do you,,?? I miss his "Thoughts on the pot",,,,,,,
 By the way,,,I do have a small Holley  4 BBl you can have,,will need to put a kit in it,,been settin for a long time..I'll drag it out and make sure all is freed up if you want it,,,
 By the way,,whet year is your Big ford Trk??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 9:39am

Shoot,,Thad,,,you done figured most of the project out,,,just got to get a few details ironed out,,,,Clap  I have my doubts to gettin ole Shameless to even "touch" them Ford parts,,,let alone wrench on em,,,,Wink,,,BUT,,,,,
  On the premis of invitin ole Les,,,er I meant thet fellar you know across the river from ole Shameless,,,,invitin him to a Sunday cruise on the motorcycles,,,,you could put a "Sales Job" on him for them manifolds,,,Chit,,,he'd prolly help you take em off,,,!!!
 SAY,,,where in the heck is our Buddy,,Les,,,,You don't reckon he's tryin to pick all them Aronias by hisself do you,,?? I miss his "Thoughts on the pot",,,,,,,
 By the way,,,I do have a small Holley  4 BBl you can have,,will need to put a kit in it,,been settin for a long time..I'll drag it out and make sure all is freed up if you want it,,,
 By the way,,whet year is your Big ford Trk??

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 11:31am
Hmm sounds like some other V8 and Straight 6 problems . 
My old White dump truck has a 3200 RPM 6-200A engine 400 cu in and 200 HP 5 x 4 tranys and 6:38 rears 
 GMC has a 427 with ? HP at 5200 or so RPM, RT613 trany with 7:28 rear 
That 6 cylinder will haul more , pull more , and when unloaded will do 80 MPH where the V8 GMC is straining at 68 MPH  - just seems to have to shift the White more often and takes a little longer to get up to speed loaded .
 Them 6 cyl do have advantages sometimes - then that 6 uses less gas to do the same job 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 10:27pm
Thad-

My '82 F100 had the 300 six, carb, and the Single Rail Overdrive, with a 2.54"1 rear axle and 185/75R15 tires (tiny!).  The overdrive and that rearend ratio, coupled to skinny tires gave it some impressive fuel economy, but it did NOT steer worth hoot, nor did it carry much weight, and the SROD transmission was WAY too weak for the big six.

Now... if you swap for the EFI inline and 5-speed from the early '90's, you'll notice a substantial difference...  add a set of split headers, and use an aftermarket controller (like a MegaSquirt), it'll wake up.  Put a turbocharger on, and you'll go through rear tires in a big hurry.  C6 will have no problem handling the power either.

One thing though... make regular habit of lifting off the valve cover, take a wood block and smack down every rocker arm stud.  They're pressed in, and they back out after 10k miles or so.  If you want 'em to stay, cross drill through the towers into the studs, and drive in a pin (a finishing nail works fine, bend the end), so they can't back out.  You'll find that when the studs back out, the big six runs out of breath fast, on account of very little valve lift.  ;-)

replace the PCV valve frequently, and replace all the vacuum hoses.  If it misses alot when you start it in the morning, the PCV valve is clogged, the distributor cap is filling with condensation... it'll do it faster if your morning commute is under 10 miles, as condensation in the crankcase will build up in the bottom of the oil pan, turning the oil to a chocolate milkshake goo, plugging the PCV, then forcing combustion gases up into the distributor... causing shorts in the HV circuit, and making the advance weights stick.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2019 at 3:36am
   One thing though... make regular habit of lifting off the valve cover, take a wood block and smack down every rocker arm stud.  They're pressed in, and they back out after 10k miles or so.  If you want 'em to stay, cross drill through the towers into the studs, and drive in a pin (a finishing nail works fine, bend the end), so they can't back out.  You'll find that when the studs back out, the big six runs out of breath fast, on account of very little valve lift.  ;-

Chit,,Dave,,,that's what we had to do to them 265's and 283's way back then when you missed a shift at near float time,,,and, if the little engines started to miss a bit,,,we knew we had floated a valve and valve cover had to come off to beat the studs back in,,,,,,,some guys was chittin in tall cotton when they rigged theirs up with them threaded studs,,,dang would them SBC wind forever and everClapClap)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic