This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wanted to introduce myself and see what I bought

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wanted to introduce myself and see what I bought
    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:05am
Good morning,

So I became the proud owner of an Allis Chalmers tractor Monday evening.  I love rebuilding things most usually they are in the form of international scouts.  I grew up with several Allis Chalmers combines model E but have never owned or operated an Allis tractor.  After getting it to the house I think it is a not a pure model.  I bought it as a B because of the front end, after looking it over and finding the tractor number it appears to be a C (C18913).  So I am now looking for info to find out how many pieces are not from the original tractor any thing you all could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark
Sponsored Links

KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:15am
Post some pictures of it. The C is like the red-haired step-son of the AC world. They are great tractors -nfe or wfe.
We'd like to see your new unit and know your plans for it - show/work/re-sell.

Scouts are nice, but rusty. I swap parts off them (springs and D44 parts) for my CJ7 and M37.

Edited by KMAG - 20 Jan 2021 at 9:16am
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:28am
the B and C use many of the same parts... radiator, motor, hook, gas tank, transmission, differential, hydraulics, tires and rims.......... what is different is the B is a ONE ROW tractor and the C is a TWO ROW tractor... The final drive cases on the C are 6 inches WIDER than the B... on the front end, the B is always a wide front end.. Steering box below the gas tank has an arm pointing DOWN and a drag link to the left front tire kingpin.... the C has the steering box under the tank with the arm UP.. drag link goes to a SECOND steering box under the radiator.. arm sticks out the side of the radiator shroud.  C can be narrow front, or wide front end.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
CMNrallye79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:32am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:34am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:36am
the front end and steering are all from a B.... The back end is hard to tell, cant see the WIDTH.. The 5 bolt wheel is standard on a C and they have a big DISH to them..That looks like what you have............. Probably someone took the transmission and rear end off a C and connected to the engine and front axle of a B.

I cant see clearly on the radiator cover... Is there an opening at the bottom left side where a C steering rod might have been ?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:39am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:41am
It is possible someone took the front axle and steering box of a B and just put on the C tractor........... you would have a cutout on the left lower corner of the radiator cover.......... From the pictures, the WIDTH of the tractor appears  much bigger in the BACK than the front end.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:48am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 9:52am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 10:08am
What I want to do with it is a great question, I have a Massey 35 Diesel Deluxe and my grandfather's 1951 8n, I use both for various tasks.  My original thoughts for the Allis were a trailer queen/ parade wagon puller.  In discovering that  it's not pure I honestly don't know, I have a line on an original plow and belly sickle more for it.  I also have a line on a parts B that I could put the motor with to make it a full B.  I like the C wide front tractor so I may keep my eyes out for one and go that direction, so at this time I am in a fact finding mission.  At the bare minimum I will return to good mechanical condition as I hate to see any of them in disrepair.
C in Concord View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:34am
Welcome!  If you can pull the engine # from the bellhousing mount (left hand side from the driver position, should start with BE or CE), I/we can tell you what year it is.  If it was also from the 1942-1943 timeframe (your C18913 serial # equates to a 1943), it's probably the engine it came with and someone did just a narrow to B wide-front swap. 

I have a 1941 with the exact same mod.  I've read that dealerships would do the swap, but I could tell that wasn't the case with mine as the wide front spacers were missing and the toolbox shroud was hacked up to fit the B steering box they had. 

Yours looks like a better job.  Only thing that doesn't match the B wide-front is your grill, it is from the C, has the large round cutout underneath for the narrow front. Other than that, looks pretty complete and usable, just needs a battery box and headlights (if needed).  The rockshaft is a nice find too.  With a little creativity, they can do a lot.

Edited by C in Concord - 20 Jan 2021 at 11:47am
Leave things better than you found them.

1941 Model C (restored 2020)
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 11:51am
First, let me welcome you to the Unofficial Allis Chalmers Forum.  As you can see there is a wealth of information available from some of the best sources.  
You have an "interesting" tractor.  Looks to be a C with a B front.  As stated above the B and C are basically the same powered tractor with a different configuration for a one  row or two row tractor.   As stated above your tractor appears to be a C with a B wide front.
Again, welcome to the forum.  We look forward to seeing additional information on this unusual tractor.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
GreenOrange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenOrange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 1:14pm
Welcome to the forum!  It also looks like it was an original steel-wheel tractor too, which makes sense with the serial.  It has the rear steel centers and tall air cleaner stack.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 3:54pm
So the rockshaft is not a term I am familiar with.  I assume it is the piece on the back of the tractor that acts kind of like the three point on my other tractors.  What implements work with it?
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 4:41pm
Hope it was free cause it's not worth much.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 5:19pm
The wide front makes it a far nicer tractor than a narrow front. Congrats on your buy. It'll make you a nice addition to your fleet. You could find a pull type plow or a mounted plow made for the B/c tractors. They made a mounted mid mount mower for that. Grand dad had 1 on his C. He put a smaller pulley on his PTO shaft so the sickle ran a little faster. It made a nicer outfit to mow hay.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 5:24pm
The wide front makes it a far nicer tractor than a narrow front. Congrats on your buy. It'll make you a nice addition to your fleet. You could find a pull type plow or a mounted plow made for the B/c tractors. They made a mounted mid mount mower for that. Grand dad had 1 on his C. He put a smaller pulley on his PTO shaft so the sickle ran a little faster. It made a nicer outfit to mow hay. FYI If I still owned my tire shop, front tires would cost you $37.42 each. That would be a mounted price. Tubes would be extra.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by CMNrallye79 CMNrallye79 wrote:

So the rockshaft is not a term I am familiar with.  I assume it is the piece on the back of the tractor that acts kind of like the three point on my other tractors.  What implements work with it?

Correct.  I'm a bit out of my depth on the implements, but single bottom plows seem to be the most common.  Also seen different cultivators & back blades, not sure what all was modified to fit and what came from the factory.  You can also use it as part of a three-point conversion.  I welded an arm on mine as part of the lift mechanism for my front mounted snow plow.  Possibilities are endless! 

The two hydraulic ram setup on yours is interesting.  Appears your rockshaft is solid all the way across, so they are working in tandem, I assume off a single control.  Most units I've seen with hydraulics have a single cylinder. 

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:16pm
The engine number appears to be
CE189400 the last number could be a C it is not perfectly clear. Does that jive with it being the same age as the transmission?
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:33pm
welcome to forum
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:36pm
Thank you for the warm welcome and all the good information, it is truly appreciated!

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:10pm
the most common implement for the back, run by the "rock shaft" would be a single bottom plow..... below is a picture of  a plow beam with the plow removed and a blade fabricated to fit the beam..

another common use of these tractors is to install a belly mower for cutting larger yards and field maintanance.

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 7:19pm
Welcome to the Forum.  A wealth of knowledge here, and we can use your input too.  In the Barns, Shops . . . . . section, you can get answers and recommendations on about anything you can think of. 

It's too bad that you just got the tractor and you already have to take off a rear tire and turn it around.  I hope they are not full of fluid!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C in Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by CMNrallye79 CMNrallye79 wrote:

The engine number appears to be
CE189400 the last number could be a C it is not perfectly clear. Does that jive with it being the same age as the transmission?

The last digit is typically a "G".  CE18940G is mid to late 1942.  Most likely the original engine for your early '43.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 7:07am
Welcome to the best darn AC forum on the planet! As the others mentioned, it looks like you have a C model with a B front end. Sometimes they get changed because of the way the owners property might have been a little hilly, where the wide front has much more stability on hilly property. Good luck with it!  Looks like a great start!!
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Roger Mn View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Mn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 8:29am
the two cylinders are used when a corn planter is mounted to tractor
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 9:21am

This is the left side from the front.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 9:26am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMNrallye79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2021 at 9:32am

Engine Number
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic