This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voltage Regulator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cfciii03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voltage Regulator
    Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 3:35pm
I have a 6 volt A/C B, with a 3 brush Delco Remy generator (#1101357).  What voltage regulator should be used ?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally the tractor did not have a "regulator".. it used the light switch and a cutout switch to control the charge current.....

I added a regulator to a B years ago......... I think i told Auto Zone it was for a 1953 Chevy truck.... worked out good.

Your looking for one that has something like a 10 amp output rating ( to match your generator).. If you get a 30  amp unit for a newer car / tractor , it possibly will not regulate as well... and could have long term performance problems.

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 Jul 2021 at 4:55pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 8:24pm
Talk to Steve at B&B Circuits.

Here is a link for his website:

A little over half way down, he has some info about converting from a cutout to a regulator. 

I did one of my tractors several years ago and it was a great improvement.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 7:31am
Thanks for the referral Curt!  When I mate a VR to either a 6V or 12V Gennie, I always see what the max output is on the Generator when I run it on the 881 (depending on where the 3rd brush is located) and then mate the proper VR to the unit.  If you decide to upgrade to a VR over the 3 position switch, (switch can still be used for Headlights if equipped) make sure the VR is grounded well.  In most applications (room providing) the VR can be mounted right on top of the Gennie right where the cutout was mounted. A curved mount type VR needs to be used if mounting on the Gennie.  The field wire is eliminated to the 3 position Headlight/Charging switch.  If retaining the 3 position switch & cutout, make sure the switch is properly grounded in the instrument panel. These switches are self-grounding, and need to be grounded in order for the charging system to work correctly. Grounds, grounds, grounds. Can't have enough grounds especially when using the OEM 6V system...
Steve@B&B

Edited by Steve in NJ - 29 Jul 2021 at 7:33am
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic