This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vertical auger hay elevator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vertical auger hay elevator
    Posted: 15 Aug 2024 at 9:07pm
I delivered a bull to a farmer over the weekend (bull's name was stew) anyway was talking to the farmer about rotobalers and odd stuff we have seen . He said he had a neighbor who had a barn near the road. ( that is typical of dairy barns in new york) there was no room for the usual diagonal hay elevator. Instead there were two augers mounted to the side of the barn. Straight up 60 feet. I have seen vertical hay elevators but they were cages with paddles and chains, but never augers. Anybody seen this?
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2024 at 9:51pm
I have a picture of one, if I recall there was two augers side by side.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2024 at 11:45pm
Augers Replace Chain On New Bale Elevator

Latest new way to move conventional hay bales into storage is the revolutionary Aug-A-Bale system that uses two 5-1/2 in. dia. metal augers instead of chains to propel bales up and into the barn.

Inventors Bob Checkley and Rudy Neilsen, of Arthur, Ont., have applied for a patent and are marketing their new system through Rubob Mfg.

The revolutionary new Aug-A-Bale conveyor is positioned vertically directly parallel to the barn wall. It consists of a short hinged conveyor (3, 5 or 10 ft. long) connected to a vertical cage built of 1 in. sq. tubing. The cage encloses a pair of 5 1/2-in. dia. steel augers running parallel to each other and spaced 24 in. apart.

The augers, powered by a ground-level 3 hp electric motor, rotate in opposite directions, grabbing the edges of each-bale and moving it to the top of the cage. There, a bar deflects it into the opening at the top of the barn. You can move bales farther into the barn with a "skeleton" elevator, or by hand.

Checkley and Neilsen built their first prototype last year and used it to move over 10,000 bales into storage. "The vertical chain elevators we'd previously used gave us problems. We wanted something that was virtually maintenance free, which led us to develop this chainless auger system. The short input conveyor can be pivoted up or down, making it easy to load bales from a wagon or truck. Irregular-shaped bales are no problem because the augers straighten them out," says Checkley.

"We can supply augers to any length, depending on your barn's height. Standard sizes are 3, 5 and 10 ft. long conveyors, and augers up to 70 ft. long."

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 6:49am
Hay that's NEAT !! Probably outlawed by the guv as 'kids will think it's a great toy'.....
That was the last straw for them....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 8:38am
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2024 at 11:29am
Fifty something years ago, when i was a boy, dad rented a farm that had a barn with a vertical elevator. It was a new holland, i think. Slower than dirt. Think it was two chains and paddles
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2024 at 7:41pm
I could see how that could actually work pretty well. As long as the augers contacted the cut edges of the bale, it should grip good and not damage the bale.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic