This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

veggie garden question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: veggie garden question
    Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 1:45pm
OK.. does ANYONE actually put 6-12 inches of raw,unknown species, wood chips on their veggie garden before they plant ?

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 1:58pm
No don't put any wood chips on your garden. Every few years I add a couple inches of well composted cow manure on mine. I get from the back of the pile at the farm it's been composting for 15 to 20 years. Pine cedar and anything that has been chemically threaded will kill your garden. Elm basswood and other bug infested non treated hard woods bring insects into your garden.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 2:08pm
Never heard of adding wood chips and that depth just doesnt sound right???
You going to try this?
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 2:27pm
Not a recommended practice to add any kind of "RAW" wood chips to a vegetable garden.
Old decayed by composting wood chips or wood shavings to amend vegetable garden soil is OK.
  I would not even recommend  using "RAW"  wood chips or shavings as a mulch.  

Edited by Ken in Texas - 13 Dec 2018 at 2:29pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 2:35pm
The reason is it sucks up the nitrogen to decompose it.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 5:54pm
I'd mix the wood chips, with some manure, and compost them fer a coupla years, then put down, as compost...

Raw wood chips release wood alcohol, as they decompose, not the best stuff, for any living plant.  If the chips come from woodcutters, they may also contain a crapload of poison ivy seed, too...Wink
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2018 at 8:26pm
Put a thick layer around my grape plants, this is closest to have this type of mulch in my garden. Beware if it is unknown type, picked up some free mulch from the local county conservation pile a few years ago. A year later, had small trees growing in the mulch and still do several years later. They look like poplars. The landfill has ground up construction lumber for use as animal bedding. I use that now around my landscaping plants, a little white/brite the 1st year but weathers to a more muted color. No worries about some other plants taking root with this stuff.

On a interesting side note, the guy at the landfill said they don't allow walnut wood in the pile to be ground up. guess it does something to horses.

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 4:32am
I sure would like to get into that pile of cow doo doo that Dave has.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 9:58am
re: walnut...
I KNOW black walnut trees have a poison in them that'll kill tomatoes, peppers and a few other great veggies.

neighbour's silly kid( 35+) saw on the net 'using fresh mulch for veggie garden' and ,well, it HAS to be TRUE. This kid has never,ever had a garden and convinced his mom to spread this unknown species mulch onto her 1/2 acre garden.No surprise to me her garden is TERRIBLE. very low yield, stunted growth, etc. Soil here is some of the best in Ontario BTW.
I've told her do NOT put the mulch on...even brought her 20 yards of horse puck/bedding well rotted...COMPOST ( black gold to me...)

I posted the question to see what you guys thought about it...
more comments the better !
thanks
Jay

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2018 at 11:52am
NO fresh chips in the gardens, unless you don't want to grow anything!---why on earth would anyone put that much in the garden at one time?
You can compost them down, then plow them in and it's ok, but takes several years to break them down. I have some here that I have turned/worked/mixed for 5 years and they are just now ready to use.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

I sure would like to get into that pile of cow doo doo that Dave has.
Yeah, I too want his address out there in Nort Dakota...  I might just have to have Michael V bring his BIG rig up and haul some chit for me....LOL Big smile
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 5:31am
I put four big straight truck loads of blue spruce chips on a shaley head in a field about 4 inches thick and it stunted the corn and beans for the first two years. Compost it in the fence line first.

Edited by nella(Pa) - 15 Dec 2018 at 5:32am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2018 at 6:26am
yeah, I can't win this one either... son has momma convinced whatever he says is true,even though we KNOW better. Come to think of it, he is selfemployed painter.hmmm...
She's a GREAT neighbour, scratch bakes everything, very,very hard worker,breaks her back helping her 3 kids who don't even do the dishes when they have sunday dinner...EVERY sunday..The very least they should do is buy her a dishwasher.
Oh well..
I've 'turned' the 20yds of 'stable sweepings' a few times and it's 1/2 cooked, should be ready as topdressing come  late Spring.
guess I'll quit offering what I know to those I care about  and just hide in the garage ?

Jay

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 11:19am
guess i'm the lone one here...the old lady....ooooops….I mean the loving wife has bad hands, and we add wood shavings to our garden beds whether it be veggies, flowers. we don't pour it on thick, but do mix it in with the soil, makes it soak up and keep the beds more moist and keep moisture longer, makes it easier for her to either hand cultivate or pull any weeds that spring up. we have also piled wood chips around our bushes and young trees to keep the weeds and grass from growing up close around the trunks. that works well and it's easier to mow around them. as for the walnut shavings, it will kill a horse. wipe a handful of walnut wood over a horses coat and it'll be dead by morning, it's that bad! it won't hurt pigs or cows, but horses it will kill.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2018 at 10:03pm
I' m worse than you Shameless. In our garden, I lay down black plastic. I use whatever to weight it down. Take a razor knife and cut a 6" "T" where we want a plant to go in. Rabbits and deer don't like the sound or feel that the plastic makes when they step on it. Tomatoes never get blight because their lower leafs can't come in contact with the ground. I only hand till each spot for a plant and add some cow or horse to the bottom of the hole. It works good and no weeds.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2018 at 11:20am
What works in one area , wont work in all areas. We tried the plastic, couldn'd hold it down in our winds we have here! We only have one fence post between us and the North Pole!!!!
Thanks; ac fleet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic