This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Valuation thoughts? WD45, Bucket, Blade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBergie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Valuation thoughts? WD45, Bucket, Blade
    Posted: 14 Oct 2018 at 9:32pm
My first post! Hopefully this is the right spot. Looking for some feedback on my first AC. I found a local WD45 that looks really clean from the pics. Tin is straight, no checkering on tires, etc. it has a back blade and front loader. Still at 6v, but I don't feel that's such a detriment. Snap coupler. Price is $2,700.
(This'll be for a hunting land food plot and maybe once I find more tillable land in SW Wisconsin, maybe a hay baler, etc.) Guy is firm on the price, so am hoping you more knowledgeable folks can say yea or nay. *Havent tested it out yet.....other than the often common 'popping out of 3rd gear', any other common issues of which I should be aware?

Edited by JBergie - 14 Oct 2018 at 9:35pm
Sponsored Links

Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 7:47am
WD45's can be had for $1500.00 around here. If the blade is Allis that would be a plus. Loaders are priced depending on condition. $100-$400 for a trip bucket. I would continue to shop. With 3rd gear out I would suspect it is a high hour tractor.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:02am
Agree with Lon. Trip loaders are worth very little as far as value goes. Back blade is a plus depending on what it is. Tires can be spendy but you said they are good. At $2700 the tractor will be his for along time. Keep looking.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 8:30am
I see a lot of them with out bucket and blade in the $1500 range. Does it have a three point hitch, to attach modern equipment? If not that would be another $400 expense for you. Tires are generally worth as much as the tractor! If they are all brand new and good brand then it could be worth that also depend on the condition. I would not be interested if it pops out of gear. Price should be around $1000 - $1500. If you have pictures that might help. Keep looking he will have it for a while unless its really nice or someone has more money than they know what to do with.
 Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 11:19am
For that money you are in a good D17 territory which is a much more useful and operator friendly tractor than a WD/WD45.Personally from what you described I'd be a buyer at
about $750 and not excited about it at that.
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 12:29pm
*Note - He didn't say it pops out of 3rd gear. He said other than the often common 'popping out of 3rd gear', any other common issues of which I should be aware?  
Sounds like he just asking about common ailments to look into.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:19pm
Without power steering a loaded front loader makes it 'fun' to drive. Be sure to check front rims. Friend's D-14 needed new one due to stress cracks tearing rim dish from hub area !
I tossed a great Freeman loader into scrapbin this summer, I never used it, sat here 8 years,no offers...As others have said too much $$$. Maybe, just maybe $2000 but it'd have to check a lot more plusses than minuses. Do a good search, say Craigslist (?) for similar tractors.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 1:58pm
Does it have a wide front or power steering?  Those options increase value and make it much easier to use.  Others have mentioned tires and rims as being very important. Mechanical condition is another very important area.  Try to avoid taking home a tractor that's going to need an overhaul, the head milled, the transmission rebuilt, clutch, brakes, etc.  Even if you can do the work yourself you're looking at a lot of money spent in parts.  A tractor with a loader may have been abused.  That's a concern.  How long has this guy had the tractor?  Has it been stored inside?  What's it been used for?  Has he changed the oil & serviced the air filter?  If a mechanic has worked on the tractor you should go talk to him.  How does it start, stop, run?  Hydraulics work?  Lots of things to think about.  Take your time.  I bought a "B" once.  Thought I'd looked it over good.  Drove it.  Bought it. Noticed a break and weld after I got it home which means that I overpaid for it.  So be careful and take your time.  Don't fall in love with a tractor before you buy it.  
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:25pm
Rear rims and tires can swing price up or down, if rims are rotted around valve stems in my book price just went down  at least $500 assuming you are capable of fixing them yourself. As far as abuse from loader if it has a wide front look for welding on front end,not the end of the world but something to consider. Small things like battery box and seat shock searing u joints and as others have already said many other things.  On the other hand for many of us fixing these old tractors is a hobby and we just don't keep track of all the money we put in them.  
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 4:47pm
The wide front was a weak point when having a loader on the tractor. I happen to know this from experience! Should have power steering. I have found it doesn't take long to double your cost when you start fixing them. I only have four and am learning on each one. There are alot of them around. Keep looking and be patient and good luck! Let us know what you do.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 5:40pm
Yes, as Dan says.  Follow his advice.
Is the tool box on the fender and in GOOD shape?  How are the lights?  Not only in looks, but working too.  Wide or narrow front?  Does the right side of the engine have a plate on it?
For that kind of money, the tires had better be new!
IF it is an Allis backblade, they are around $450 to $600.  Loaders can be had in our area for $150.  With a loader, power steering is a MUST!!
Unless the engine has just been overhauled, and you can see some receipts and talk to the mechanic, $2700 is WAY too high!  THere are a lot of WD45's around this area and they go for $1500 with good tires and everything working.
Mine slips out of 2nd gear under heavy load, not 3rd.

Shop around and take your time.  A plain WD would suffice for what you want, but I'd go with a WD45.
Check the serial number (know where it is?) and come back to us.  That'll help a lot.  And PICSs if you can.  That'll help a LOT!!
This should be the buyers time of year, what with winter coming on.  $2700 is WAY TOO MUCH!!

Where in MN are you located?  Where is the tractor?
There are a lot of guys around this area, SE MN and SW WI.  If you want someone to help you out, just ask......
HTHs

Forgot to mention, since you say it's a 6V system, when you start it, does the ammeter gauge show a charge?  If not, that's a lot more money!!
Speaking of gauges,,,,,does the temp gauge work?  How about the oil gauge?

Edited by Ted J - 15 Oct 2018 at 5:43pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2018 at 9:34pm
Thought I was on the green site for a bit but then I realized that was not the case as they would probably pay a bit more!!!! 
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Thought I was on the green site for a bit but then I realized that was not the case as they would probably pay a bit more!!!! 

Here lately $2700 will get a lot of tractor at the sales I've been to,saw an Oliver 1550 with
Power steering,3pt ran great sell for $2100 it'll out work a WD45.Long 445 diesel ran and operated, 3pt,PS, same tractor as an AC 5040 go for $600,Long/Landini
R9500 Special 98 HP ran good,354 Perkins diesel,12 speed.3pt,PS $900.Ford 8000
100 HP ran operated OK very good metal needed paint,$2200.I bought the two
Longs.
JBergie View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBergie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:02am
(Love this site!)(that's why I came here) I saw the WD on CL here in Minneapolis -if you look under blade, you'll see it attached to the tractor. When I asked about the tractor, he said the blade, tractor and loader can be had for $2,700. Nice guy and we talked for a long time about it (he said the gearing was fine.....back to what AllisDave pointed out, that was just a concern of mine). I just haven't had time to go see it even though it's only 10 miles away! He also said tires were good, wide front, (didn't ask about power steering). I asked Pete over at TractorData about the price and he said seems about right....but I'm super frugal and since it'll be a small food plot toy for starters, not used much, so have to justify the cash outlay. Good call on not getting emotionally attached to a potential buy though, was starting to feel that way.
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:28am
Check the loader, if it is a 445 loader with the front pump, hydraulis tilt bucket and down pressure, it should be worth all of that, especially with the Allis blade being worth about $500.

Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:03am
I guess kinda hard to really judge the value without the info being asked about in all the posts. The full hydraulic loader would be a real plus, along with the back blade info. Not to say he doesn't have that much in the tractor, but like most of us you won't get back what you have in them.   Could you send a pic of the tractor? Or maybe the craigslist link if it has a pic? (unless you are keeping it a secret)
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:12am
I wouldn't sell either of mine for $2700 without the loader or the blade. I'll bet most of the guys on this site wouldn't let there tractor go for that. I've two trip bucket WD45 loaders they are almost free when your not looking for one and unavaliable when you need one. Using a WD loader without power steering requires a little skill never stop moving with the tires pointed in a direction you don't want to go. The WD 9 loader can be removed or reinstalled in 15 minutes. It makes the tractor easier to steer when your not using it. I'd go the 10 miles and look at it. If your buying a tractor that you can put to use right away it dosent hurt to spend the extra money. I bough a WD 45 for $800. Was going to use it for parts. It ran good and looked ok. $2000 for rims and tires and a hundered bucks for minor bits and pieces it's the best tractor I have $800 more to put power steering on it. I now have $3700 in it should have just bought a better tractor.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 9:32am
For what it's worth I just noticed on Mpls CraigsList a WD.  Don't know anything about it, except looks clean.

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 10:41am
Here'e a decent looking WC for $700 on same CraigsList. Just gotta look for em.

1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 1:36pm
I review a tractor for my intentions of use— how much can I make, how much maintenance will it cost. I think a lot of money has been made with a 45 with very little maintenance required. That being said, I would review the tractor in different eyes than most. I have a 45 w/power steering that may not be in best show condition, however it works well and has new rubber with good rims. I would not sell for less than 3k. Just my opinion
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2018 at 8:21pm
I live in Illinois and right now there are probably 12 to 15 WD45's for sale from 850 to 4000.  I think if you shop around you can do better than that.  JMHO 
JBergie View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBergie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2018 at 10:17pm
(OP here) I'll try to attach a pic. It looks clean, but I don't know the particulars, other than the bucket it a trip. I guess I'm trusting enough so that if someone sees it, thinks it's a good deal and wants to play dirty that's a shame and maybe they need things in life a little more than I do. But I've learned a heck of a lot on just this post by seeing what others would ask!     
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 6:34am
John, if this tractor is not to far away I would go with you to look at it. 15 years ago this tractor would bring $2500.00, the blade $500.00. Last month I saw one like this sell for 1700.00. The blade brings about $350.00. The tractor I saw had a loader, chains, weights, and a two bottom plow. Engine ran nice. Still had the original paint and was nice. Trans was a bit noisy. It's a buyers market for old tractors. Many folks have not come to terms and refuse to sell. To much emotion. Call or email if it works for you 763-241-9679
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2018 at 2:06pm
Take Lon up on the offer if it would work!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:45am
You MIGHT be able to trick Lon into selling you one of his....
"Allis-Express"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 6:50am
Lon, it's an hour away from you, on the other (South) side of the cities...
"Allis-Express"
Lon(MN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lon(MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 7:09am
Ted, what city? Did you look at those flood tractors near you?
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 7:53am
It looks to be in the range that the owner is asking. Tractor looks to have newer paint job.
 Loader is not the Allis trip type. May be a better loader?
Blade is original Allis. It would work good with the tractor.
Go drive it and see how it operates! The owner is trying to take care of it with the covers on the tires. 
Good luck!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Lon(MN) Lon(MN) wrote:

Ted, what city? Did you look at those flood tractors near you?
It's in Lakeville Lon.
No, I haven't gone and looked at them.  I should call and see what else hes got though.
"Allis-Express"
JBergie View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBergie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2018 at 2:06pm
Hey, this is my baby! (if it's worth it and Lon thinks it's okay) The seller did say it was a trip bucket though and not hydraulic. 
p.s. I saw those flood ones too, but was wary of them! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic