This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unicorn sighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unicorn sighting
    Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 7:13pm
Rumor has it there is an intact number 10 rotobaler selling this Saturday in ohio. Anybody know anything?
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 4:14am
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 5:49am
Well that certainly is a number 10. Looks like top conveyor chain is missing. I will call auctioneer today and see if i can get some details. Never seen one for sale before
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2024 at 6:53am
They added a 66 combine with a two row corn head to the sale yesterday.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2024 at 2:28pm
well, got bad news and worse news. Bad news is there were at least two fools there, worse news is I was the greater one. Looks like a lot of root canals in my future. This is why old men need to have a woman ib their lives, so someone would tell them "are you out of your mind!!! IT DIDN'T WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE" dog didn't say anything
Sherman Farms View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sherman Farms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2024 at 3:08pm
Selling Price of The Baler $7100.00!!
B, C, RC, 3 wc,2 wd,3 wd45, d15, d17, d19, d21, 190, 440, 7040, 918 backhoe, 12 roto balers, 7 60 combines, 40, 66,2 72,90 super, sp100, Gleaner E, F3, 3 L2, R62, and much more
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2024 at 8:04pm
Congrats Dr!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2024 at 8:31pm
Will see captain. Winner of the sale may be the guy who bid 7000
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2024 at 1:25pm
she is home and safely put in the garage. Will get it greased and oiled this weekend and then back in the garage until retirement.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2024 at 8:47pm
dr. P,
 Yes congratulations on the baler! I do remember my Uncle had one of them and made some hay with it for a year or two, that was about 1960 ish.
Regards,
 Chris and Cheryl
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 5:45am
Thanks chris, you are my role model for when i decide to take the shingle down.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 8:11am
Congrats Joe!
Looks like it needs a lot of TLC....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 11:20am
I thoguht it was an interesting concept to make you not have to stop during the tie process.
I always wondered if it owuld overload the bailer with all that extra hay circulating in
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2024 at 8:21pm
I think the trick is to make the rows a little smaller so the regurgitation doesn't overwhelm the baler. Bet it would work better with a d series where you could shift into low while wrapping.
DanielW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanielW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2024 at 7:08am
From my understanding of talking to an old Allis dealer who owned/ran one, that's what you had to do - either make half-sized windrows or run it at half the ground speed.

If you think about it running at steady-state operation, you have to run it only as fast (or in windrows small enough) that the volume hay fed in during the recirc process was what the baler was normally capable of handling. But that of course means the rest of the time when it's not doing the recirc and just picking up normally, you have to be running it at about half capacity. Which no one did, and no one wanted to do.

It ultimately didn't save much/any time compared to a standard roto-baler: True, you didn't have to stop, but if you wanted it to work half-decent you instead had to run at half speed or in half-sized windrows. I'm sure it did certainly save on clutch wear and general frustration - not having to bring the whole kit/caboodle to a stop every 30 seconds.

Edited by DanielW - 02 Aug 2024 at 7:08am
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 1:42pm
Well... here's to hoping you retire soon so we can see it in operation, ha.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Steve A View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 3:48pm
Might show my ignorance here but I'll write it anyway. Curiosity killed the cat: We had a standard roto baler, used after Allis side delivery rake. We'd always raked so it put two windrows together in a low, wide configuration. That seemed to produce the best bales. Did you have to rake in that manner with this set up?
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 8:28pm
I probably know as little as you but the videos i have seen have always been baling straw so the windrows have been pretty small. I know when i use my standard rotobaler i rake 4 rows together. But i really only make grass hay. Probably wouldn't work to dry clover
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 8:29pm
Wjohn, that plan lasted about a week. Already started looking for the missing parts.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 8:33pm
if you don't have wide windrows the bales look like footballs....
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 8:35pm
And the upper belt gets stuck on the guide for the lower belt. The you get to practice your swear while you pry it off with a screwdriver
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 8:39pm
My standard works best if you feed it big wide windrows and you creep down the field. Plus it makes it easier to pick up bales if they are closer. I run a rope diagonally across the back of the baler to spin the bales 90 degrees
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2024 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Wjohn, that plan lasted about a week. Already started looking for the missing parts.

That's good news!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 7:14am
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

Well... here's to hoping you retire soon so we can see it in operation, ha.
I'll bet his patients hope he doesn't retire soon! Speaking as someone who had one dentist for many, many years and a steady stream on new ones since! Current one is a young gal, seen her three of four times now.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2024 at 7:40pm
Next year is 30 years in ithaca. A tour in the usaf before that. Had the same staff for the past 15. I'll work as long as they want to. Single biggest reason patients leave my practice: death. Gets depressing
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2024 at 7:27pm
Have the week off from dentistry so today i only saw three patients. It was raining so no fieldwork. I decided to hook up the unicorn. Couple lower belts snapped. Tried to replace them with spliced ones (endless for the top). THAT DID NOT WORK. will be looking for a set of lower endless belts. Looking forward to getting started
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2024 at 6:25am
Looking forward to seeing/hearing about your progress on this project.
Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic