This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Twenty fuel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Twenty fuel
    Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 1:57pm
Hello,

My new to me 220 stops after a time driving with a decrease in engine speed and power finally it shuts off.
After waiting a time, it wil start again. I changed the filter, fuelpump is gone trough proffesional.
Could it be, that there isn’t enough fuel in the tank? Most times when I notice it, there is not much fuel left. But it should be enough in my opinion.
Is it normal with this tractors, without fuel feed pump, to have a minimum amount of fuel in the tank always?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 2:15pm
Step #1. Remove sediment bowl at the rear of the engine under the oil filters. #2. Turn on pet cock fully. There needs to be TWO STREAMS of gushing fuel coming from the base. #3. Probably remove the base and clean the blockage, which is why there isn't two streams of fuel.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 3:04pm
Return line on tractor is still plugged possibly. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 3:07pm
Thanks for your answer. The tractor does not have a sediment bowl, the line from the tank goes to the priming pump.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 3:54pm
Well then, disconnect that line before the hand primer and it should flow more than a gallon in five minutes. 
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2022 at 11:39pm
Ok, thanks. Will try that.
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2022 at 8:33pm
Sounds a lot like the problem I had with mine shortly after a complete rebuild of the engine and pump. It would sit and idle fine, but once I put it under a load, sooner or later it would start to loose power and eventually die for lack of fuel. Once it dies, try to pump the primer pump. Mine felt real stiff like it had a vacuum on it. Come to find out, I believe there is a check valve in that primer pump. I bought either a new primer pump or a repair kit for it and haven't had that problem since, going on 5 years. Good luck, let us know what you find.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 7:37am
Good point Jim, there's 2 check valves in the primer pumps, and they do like to catch debris and restrict flow. Take them out and clean and reinstall. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 7:39am
But if the flow isn't coming from the tank, the problem isn't the check valves. Start with supply flow FIRST.
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2022 at 7:55am
First of all thanks for your respons.
I blew all lines with compressed air and can hear (and see) air coming out of the tank cover, so it should be open. I checked after the prime pump, on the fuel pump but there is not a gallon in 5 minutes coming. There is a constant flow of fuel coming out of the line and in my opinion it can't be much more, when I see the fuel line thickness.

When I see the knee line on the fuelfilter height, it looks like the tank can't go fully empty. Maybe there was too few fuell in it to give it a good flow. 

I Think I need to drive it again and check maybe the primepump valves Jim said.
Luke R. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 7:48am
on one of our 220's you could blow back into the tank all you wanted, but when the fuel started flowing so would the sediment which immediately plugged the outlet. Had to take the tank off and clean it out.
4-7030's,170G,220FWA,3-220's,210,D21II,D21I industrial,2-200's,3-190's,175D,2-D19D's,D19G,WD45,WD,CA,2-UCont.,5015FWA,917,B110,Gleaner F
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 7:56am
I've always felt that blowing the debris back into the tank was a temporary fix at best. If you have a blockage, find it and clean it out and do not put it back into the tank !!!
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 8:15am
Debris likes to collect in elbow fittings in the system. Agree w/DR, blowing back to tank just means you'll deal with it again in an hour, a day, a week? But it will come back when you don't want issues lol!
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 1:51pm
Tried to drive today, problem isn’t solved. After 10 minutes of driving it died again.
I opened the primer pump en saw that the check valve was dirty. Cleaned it all out and put it back together. One thing caught my eye, before the check valve/primer pump there is more flow than after this. Is that normal?
BKarpel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BKarpel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 3:32pm
Sounds like tank is dirty and plugging. You can try power washing or take it to a radiator shop. Tank has 2 baffles. Had my tank cleaned and then plowed for 40 acres to get clean. I like sediment bowl before primer and filter. You can see the stuff it collected. Is your fuel tank in a vacuum? When I unscrew my cap it pulls air in. Don't know why it does this! It will stop fuel flowing. I have to uncap it a few times a day.

Edited by BKarpel - 12 Oct 2022 at 3:35pm
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 3:42pm
gravity flow after primer may be slower since the check valves have a slight spring pressure to them. I still think your return is plugged from the old flex ring material. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2022 at 3:43pm
A little less flow when it goes thru the hand primer by gravity, but you've got to have GOOD flow up to it first.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 8:49pm
Ed is correct. Had the same problem on a D21. Governor ring has likely come apart in the injection pump and is pluging the check valve and the return line 
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 9:00pm
I would agree, except he claims the injection pump has just been gone thru by a professional. You would expect a pro to have replaced that flex ring, wouldn't you ??
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 9:12am
When the flex ring breaks down and the people knock the ball out to keep going, the particles end up plugging the return line somewhere between the pump and tank, therefore the same symptoms, plugged return circuit. When pump is off for rebuild, the installer needs to remember to blow through the return line on the tractor to make sure it's open. This happens quite often! I've even heard of people even taking the pump back to the repair shop to claim warranty lol! "I just knew it was that rebuilt injector pump"! lmao!
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 2:37pm
Tried to drive it today, about half an our not a problem. But than it stopped again. Checked the check valve… dirty again. So i drained the tank and go clean it. Any tips to clean on the tractor? Because it is repainted I hope i don’t need to remove the tank. Thanks!
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 3:31pm
flush tank and lines with E85, be careful not to get it on the paint, it may peel it. Don't try to run it on it, just use as a flush solvent, then rinse with small amount of diesel, then put fresh diesel in. Now you have bon fire fuel lol!
Wot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 6:33am
Cleaned the tank out as good as possible. Looks clean now.
Going to add a sediment bowl like it needs to have original before the primer pump.
I think the problem will be solved then. I have a small glass on it, like on a WD. Thinkt that would be ok, or does it neet one with a big glass like a d17 / U? The inlet and outlet looks the same thickness.

Edited by Wot - 16 Oct 2022 at 6:35am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2022 at 6:00pm
I thought outlet hole was smaller?? maybe not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic