This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TS 5 hydraulic pump question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TS 5 hydraulic pump question
    Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:41am
Discovered today that the pump on my 'new' HD6G is part numbered (2025G1B1) as being originally issued on a TS 5 . P/N 2996. I wonder if anyone here could tell me the specs for this pump or the TS5 hydraulic system, especially GPM and relief valve settings. On a side note, I also discovered that I have control valve assy. 26403, which I have not found a listing for as of yet. I discovered that the main relief valve is adjusted all the way in, never a good sign. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 7:13am
From what i have read the 5s were about 35 gpm a little less than the 40gpm of the 6g.  6g relief is 1200-1400 psi.  5 should be similar
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 8:29am
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

From what i have read the 5s were about 35 gpm a little less than the 40gpm of the 6g.  6g relief is 1200-1400 psi.  5 should be similar
   Thanks CAL, I'm sure missing that extra 5GPM! With the normal 'slippage' of these sloppy old systems, right now I can get 750-800 psi when stalling out the dump cylinders. Can't use the power down 'cause I'm now stuck up against a utility pole because of the stuck tracks. When I used power down last week, it rolled the machine forward about 2 feet, and now I'm fighting to roll it back so I will have room to run the boom. I'm hoping worn packings have something to do with this problem. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 11:34am
you could pull the pump down and check the end cases, if they show wear you can have them milled or planed back flat but you cant do anything about the gear wear.  i would hate to price a new pump capable of 40gpm.  and i would say that pump pressure is way to low.  its possible something is stuck in the relief or the spring is broken?

Edited by CAL(KS) - 28 Sep 2022 at 11:36am

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

you could pull the pump down and check the end cases, if they show wear you can have them milled or planed back flat but you cant do anything about the gear wear.  i would hate to price a new pump capable of 40gpm.  and i would say that pump pressure is way to low.  its possible something is stuck in the relief or the spring is broken?

I'm sure it's quite possible that the relief valve is funny. As I mentioned earlier, the valve assembly is not the correct one for this machine, according to the parts book. Relief valve is all the way in. Maybe this valve assy. is relieved at this low setting. I've ran the numbers but can't find out what machine this valve belongs to (26403) Hydreco. It's the 'old style' simple spring pressure type, Not sure how to take it apart yet. I have to determine how that valve sleeve is retained in the housing. Parts book doesn't give me the usual clues. May have to heat that big nut lightly to get it loose. The giant hex plug on the back will definitely need a little heat. I only directly heat the plug, not the housing. If indeed the spring is broken, good luck trying to find one.....Thanks
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:55pm
i know the 6g had an early and a late style relief valve, but i believe the late style superceded so it was a replacement part also.  but definitely get that squared away and check pressure before tearing into the pump

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 7:10pm
believe it was 37 GPM on the Hydreco pump and relief valve on the HD5G was 1200#
Yes pump wear can create a problem , I use to be able to drag RPM way down to almost stall with the loader at full cycle up leaving control in raise position lock 
 Roll back on bucket also would slow engine if held on = 50 years of use without replacing pump seems to have effected it - but 50 years of use has effected me also = well add 28 more to that 50

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

believe it was 37 GPM on the Hydreco pump and relief valve on the HD5G was 1200#
Yes pump wear can create a problem , I use to be able to drag RPM way down to almost stall with the loader at full cycle up leaving control in raise position lock 
 Roll back on bucket also would slow engine if held on = 50 years of use without replacing pump seems to have effected it - but 50 years of use has effected me also = well add 28 more to that 50

I pulled the front end nut and spring out of the valve assy relief valve. Notice someone had added a washer, appx. 1/8" thick, to the spring. Another trouble sign.....tried to pull valve out of seat, wouldn't budge. It should slide buttery smooth....Got the huge hex plug out of the rear, after welding a socket to it. Took around 200 ft/lbs to turn it. Used a brass punch and gently tapped valve out the front. I had rusty residue on the valve, and the face is chipped/eroded. I don't think it was stuck open but did have fine 'glitter-like' debris on valve face. I don't think this valve has to be open much to drop a lot of pressure. Cleaned and lubed the valve, and it now slides freely. At least now I know it CAN open if it has to. 
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 10:12am
In the up position does the loader hold?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Lee Bradley Lee Bradley wrote:

In the up position does the loader hold?
  Hi...yes, the boom raises well and stays up reasonably well. I loosened the rod side fittings with engine off and boom up (unloaded) and no fluid squirted out, so seals are OK on the lift rams. Now I can't raise the boom because I'm up against a tree with stuck tracks. Machine moved about 2 feet forward when I was testing pump using power down. It didn't want to lift the front of the machine very far, but it certainly rolled those stuck-from-H#$l tracks. I seemed to have gained about 100 psi of pressure after cleaning the relief valve. All I can test right now is with the bucket stalled against the stops. Smile
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 3:08pm
The bucket tilt power to move machine is limited by the leverage configuration of loader frame design . You should be able to lift machine with bucket in full tilt to unload position and down pressure to loader lift cylinders . 
 Stalling the bucket cylinders in the lift or dump is easily done as cylinder size and pressure is limited . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic