This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trash Panda 7040 build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trash Panda 7040 build
    Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 9:54am
Major photo dump and playing catch on posting project Trash Panda.  It's a 7040 powershift I bought off Deppe that had been sitting for an undetermined amount of time.  Engine was stuck, nothing else know.  Serial 3168 making it a 1975 model.  It does have the late style powershift filter.  Tractor was purchased and I found a good running L2 with ~3900 hours on it a couple miles from home.  And that's where the fun begins.  Tractor will end up an open platform as the cab is rotted and it will be sweeter ride. As I take things apart we are replacing all hoses, seals, etc and priming and painting.  Much slower than slapping the motor in and going but will save time in the long run.

Tractor at Deppes, rh hood swapped trying to get something a little straighter then what was on it.  Starter was missing, no exhaust.

Unloading at home.  Power deck trailer made it easy, just cost $$$$

L2 down the road, I need to double check but I believe the hour meter was at ~3900.  Started really well for sitting.

And she's home

Sponsored Links

coggonobrien View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 9:58am
Let the redneck open station conversion begin.  Cab was junk, Deppe wanted it back for the glass and gave me the green light to cut it.  It was definitely easier to work on it orbitrol this way and will be easier to swap the shifter and throttle cables.  Will get a proper conversion once it's running under its own power and the rest of the tractor is determined for function.

Cab rot is very evident

NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 10:01am
  Cool project, poor thing was never in a shed?
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 10:03am
Engine pull time.  Tractor did have the field transmission cooler upgrade so if anybody needs the hydraulic or external transmission cooler they are for sale.  Radiator was checked and unusable.  Repair cost would be ~$1200, new was $1600.  Neither are a viable option.

Has the heavy fly wheel

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 10:04am
Originally posted by NEVER green NEVER green wrote:

Cool project, poor thing was never in a shed?

I don't think it got cleaned once since if left the factory.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 10:17am
Engine clean up, orbitrol resealed which I am really disappointed in the seal kits from agco.  2 part numbers out there and neither matched exactly what was in the valve and neither had the seal for the plate. The pressure plate was reshimmed.  We flattend grade 8 5/8" lock washers and put 1x into each spring.  Flywheel was machined.  picked up a better rh hood, step and 7060 black belly cooling package.

I was told it was parked as it was having fuel issues.  Supposedly the injection pump had been gone through and it still didn't run.  Then parts started disappearing of it at the lot.  When we pulled the fuel tanks it was literally black sludge coming out of the bottom of the tank, thicker then axle grease.  Might of been their issue.... Several cycles of dish soap, water and agitation got it out. Eventually I got rid of the air gun and hooked the hose up to the bottom fuel ports. I will hit the tanks with muriatic acid to clean out the rust right before they go back in.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 10:25am
ound 5, running out of time with cold weather coming.  Tried stripped the orange with air plane stripper and that failed.  So we scuffed it with a wire wheel, used a da on the flat surfaces and hit it with epoxy primer.  The motor was stripped of all the non tractor stuff except the valve cover and oil pan/pump, that will happen soon.  Coolant filter will go back on with a non chemical filter to help clean the debri out of the system.  Painting with Van Sickles Allis Chalmers Maroon aerosol cans, I do have a gallon mixed up as well.  You cannot buy this color at a store but can order it from their website.  They mix it after you order so it could take 2-4 weeks to get your paint.  Engine is back in.  Working on the rh frame rail.  lh is painted inside and bottom surface. Will sand and paint the top and outside when I'm done assembling.

Original L2 Starter

Replacing the Thermostats, was lucky to only brake 2x bolts

Once both rails are on and front bolster it will be time to build front engine mounts.

Edited by coggonobrien - 26 Oct 2023 at 10:35am
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 11:44am
Why two thermostats?? Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 12:18pm
probably to get it up to temp quicker, second one appears to be over top of where the cab heater lines would of gone, the Dr I'm sure knows 
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 12:55pm
Okay thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 5:05pm
All speculation on my part. In 1963 the 3400-3500 first generation 426 engines (D21-210-220) were born with one thermostat and a flywheel HP rating of no more than 150 HP thru 1972. In late 72 or early 1973 the Mark II 3500-3700 (7030-7050) engines were released and max flywheel HP was 190. The flywheel HP in the fall of 1974 was now up to 210 HP with the new model 3750 engine used in the 7080. So, it appears one thermostats flow capabilities was fine up to that 150 HP rating and anything over that required dual (same size) stats or a new larger stat. They were using one part number for all diesel ag engines at that time. Good engineering.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 5:20pm
pretty sure the thermostats for the AC engines are same as small block chebbie engines use, might even be same as bb chebbi. Only dual thermostat housings I've run across are on intercoolers. Interesting!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 5:31pm
Nope. The Gen 2 3500's in ag were always twin stats and they are the same as SBChevy.

Edited by DrAllis - 26 Oct 2023 at 5:47pm
jeickman01 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeickman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 7:32pm
Great pictures of project and of fertile Iowa farm fields in the background.  Spent many a moonlit fall night turning over that soil with a maroon belly.  Didn't need a radio, facebook, etc.  Just the sound of that engine.  Guess that's almost a thing of the past with no-till, luxury cabs, etc.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 7:55pm
the new non mek aircraft paint stripper is useless and a complete waste of money the old stuff was great     the new stuff wont soften day old paint
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2023 at 8:36pm
“Thrash Panda 7040 build”
Love the title - LMAO!!
Great project coggonobrien. Thanks for sharing all the details & wonderful photos.
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 7:59am
Big job there. Fingers crossed that the rear end, transmission, and hydraulics are solid.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 8:17am
Originally posted by Lynn Marshall Lynn Marshall wrote:

Big job there. Fingers crossed that the rear end, transmission, and hydraulics are solid.

Yup thats next, I'm not holding my breathe on anything but maybe will get lucky.  there's minimal evidence that this thing ever had a lot of weight slung on it so I guess we will see.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2023 at 8:35am
This project is a fun one to watch. Thanks for posting and keep up the good work.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 8:33am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 8:34am
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 11:55am
The engine sounds really good. The fan looks like it's on backwards in the first video??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coggonobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2024 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Lynn Marshall Lynn Marshall wrote:

The engine sounds really good. The fan looks like it's on backwards in the first video??

It is, it's on the post start-up check list of things that were wrong/missed.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic