This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission lockup when shift plate is installed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don kissler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission lockup when shift plate is installed
    Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 10:24am
New to the forum. I bought a Allis Chalmers CA at the auction. The note on the tractor stated, "locked up in second gear". I removed the side shift plate and was able to put the tractor in neutral very easily with my finger. The gears look fine. When I reinstall the shift plate the transmission is locked after each attempt. I saw where someone recommended putting every thing in reverse and then reinstall the shift plate. That did not work either. An inspection of the shift plat looks normal. Could the shift paddles be bent? Not sure how to fix this. I'm stumped!
Sponsored Links

dfwallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dfwallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 11:27am
I'd guess the shifter forks themselves.  When I first pulled mine out of the fence row after 35+ years, I was unable to get it into any gear.  It was stuck in neutral.  But it slowly loosened up after quite a bit of (somewhat gentle) repeated prodding.
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 12:39pm
Don Kissler

I have a D15 Series II that has a very worn Shifting Lever and Forks etc.  Your CA Shifter/Forks is probably similar to the D15. The gears on my D15 all work fine.  Shifting is the problem area.  Here is a thread that might give you some ideas 

My 0.02$ (CDN) worth of advice.........following the Shifting Pattern as closely as possible with a slight downward pressure on the shifter lever knob is essential to engaging the gears properly.  

I have removed the Shifter Lever (very tedious effort, steady hands, don't lose the little "chucks" that the Shifter pivot ball sits on, 180 degrees apart) and have moved the Forks with a long screwdriver.  This exercise should show if the Forks can move forwards and backwards.

Looking down the empty Shifter hole you can see the "channel" the Shifter tip ball moves thru when the Forks are all aligned in Neutral. Hence, very important perfect alignment to the Shift Pattern to only engage one of the Forks (left/middle/right)

Hope this helps you.........keep us posted

1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 3:37pm
Hey Robert, I wondered if my Series 1 D 15 was similar. Probably shouldn't say this but I haven't had any trouble with mine since. My theory is that I pulled my tractor in the shop in second gear and somehow kicked the shifter getting off.Thanks for sharing this!

Edited by ACinSC - 02 Dec 2023 at 3:51pm
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 6:12pm
EJ

Exactly what I was thinking!  Lots of similarities to our challenges with the shifting.  I have read of others on this Forum, and Yesterdays Tractors (D series, older models WD, CA). 

Glad to hear you have had smooth sailing with your D15

I really concentrate on the Shift Pattern when shifting.  And you are right, there is not a lot of room between the seat and the Shifter Lever when in Second/Reverse Gear - barely enough for a big work boot!!

Good to hear from you

1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 6:25pm
Don Kissler

Here is an excellent thread from another Forum - Yesterdays Tractor, re an Allis Chalmers  WD-45 with stuck gears

About half way down, Bryan Smith has itemized an excellent procedure to remove the Shifter Lever and check operation of the Forks, possible improvements

Good luck
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 5:53pm
Yeah Robert, I now make a point of putting shifter in first gear before I get off
Good to hear from you also! Thanks
Don kissler View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don kissler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2023 at 4:22pm
I tried every suggestion to reinstall the CA shift plate without the gears locking. I would say I must have tried 20 times! Decided to examine the shift plate very closely
I took a small square and determined that one of the shift forks was bent about a quarter of an inch. Found a used shift on Ebay
When I received the plate it was a bit rusty but there was little or no wear. Cleaned it up and soaked it in oil over night. When I installed it the transmission was again locked up. After a close inspection I found that the reverse gear was causing the problem. Got a.piece of wire, bent it to hold the reverse gear in neutral as I installed the shift plate. just before closing the cover I pulled out the wire. The plate was now installed. It was not locked up and all the gears work properly. I had the rear wheels jacked up so all I needed to do is turn one of the rear tires to determine the transmission status. Thanks for all your suggestions.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 5:49am
Sounds like you figured it out Don. Good luck!
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 2:03pm
Don kissler

Congrats on your efforts to get your shifting mechanism working.  Very ingenious solutions to get it back together.  

Self discovery is very powerful.........a nice feeling to figure something out

Thanks for sharing 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic