This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tranny noise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tranny noise
    Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 3:57pm
Just want to find out if its a lot of work after I split D-15 ser.II, it has a noise in third gear but no vibration on the shifter and don't jump out of gear, I'am kinda thinking it's a bearing but don't know how much work I'am looking at after I split the tractor? POOR OLD GIRL.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 4:27pm

In D14s and early D15s the reverse idler gear would run on the 3rd/4th gear coupler when in 3rd gear.  It made  rattling noise that can be botherson.   The fix was to narrow the idler gear up some, required taking the trans completly apart.  D15 IIs had this problem fixed, supposedly.  Yours may have a some gears replaced over the years, so it may have the same problem, wont know until its torn down.  If its just in 3rd, its probably not a bearing.  Yes, its a lot of work to tear one of them trannys down, everything has to come out of the case.  HTH

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 5:35pm

Normal D15 3rd gear noise.......it won't hurt a thing. You'll really be ticked if you tear it apart and when you get done the noise is still there.

Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 5:41pm
If it doesn't jump out of gear don't fool around with it. It is probably the reverse idler gear making the noise, and it is normal. Tearing down the transmission is a major job and should only be done when necessary.
Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
smokey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 7:23am
Thanks Guys, Maybe I'll just change the oil and hope for the best, It's my snow plowing tractor just didn't want something to come undone and have a realy bad deal, I also spray  and V-ditch w/this tractor 3rd gear just the best gear in hi or low range.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic