This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Train Length ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Train Length ??
    Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:14pm
A while back I inquired as to how long a train could be and got a reply from one of you stating the "time" of waiting at a crossing. I've done multiple searches this evening when I finally got home after waiting 27 minutes on a train AngryAngry !! Seems like this cat said 14 minutes tops ?? 
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:17pm
depends on the city or whoever is in charge. here in Hamilton it is (was ?) 15 minutes. fortunately I don't have to cross choochoo tracks anymore....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:30pm
Also depends on number of crossings available as well any Under or Over passes for autos to Bypass a crossing.  Nevada MO had several crossings that would tie up for long periods as Shunting crews rearranged car sets, The city had a Full rail Causeway on Walnut Street just blocks away to bypass the problem and had been built in the 1920s.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

A while back I inquired as to how long a train could be and got a reply from one of you stating the "time" of waiting at a crossing. I've done multiple searches this evening when I finally got home after waiting 27 minutes on a train AngryAngry !! Seems like this cat said 14 minutes tops ?? 

Gosh, why not do the internet search while waiting for the train, you have a smart phone right?
I had to wait on a train also today, but I was smiling ear to ear, thankful all those containers were not on the roadways.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:01pm
I never said anything about container trailers Wink !!
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2022 at 7:43pm
Got stuck on a beer run again? 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 8:29am
Well near half hour does seem a bit excessive. Here's what you need to do, each time this happens to you, call the local state police barracks and report it! Now, the key is consistency, you need to do this every time! They may tell you to call someone else, and, if they supply you with good contact info, you most certainly need to call them, also. But don't stop calling the state police, that's important. You have to impress upon them that you are adamant about this, it is your right that you not be inconvenienced like this. At the same time, you should be calling the local TV stations about this, tell them how you should not be delayed like this, it is your right as a citizen to move to and fro at will, unhindered! Most stations have consumer advocate investigators, they will be happy to do battle for you. Be persistent and consistent, if you keep at it you will most certainly get the attention you deserve, and your problems addressed. You also should be calling your local and state politicians, constantly and consistently. They, and the cops work for you! Make sure you impress that upon them! Shucks, you might even find yourself on TV! now we shall see if you are a man or a mouse! A mouse will continue to get on places such as this forum and squeek/whine, a man will do something, as I suggested, about it! Stop being a keyboard warrior! Go get 'em!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:02am
Get ya a SIGN and stand out there and PROTEST  !!  NOBODY has the RIGHT to stop you from a well earned BEER RUN !!    Tell them that 8 MPG Log Wagon dont run on water !!!  They are costing you MONEY !!!  LOL   Clap
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:13am
Originally posted by LouSWPA LouSWPA wrote:

Well near half hour does seem a bit excessive. Here's what you need to do, each time this happens to you, call the local state police barracks and report it! Now, the key is consistency, you need to do this every time! They may tell you to call someone else, and, if they supply you with good contact info, you most certainly need to call them, also. But don't stop calling the state police, that's important. You have to impress upon them that you are adamant about this, it is your right that you not be inconvenienced like this. At the same time, you should be calling the local TV stations about this, tell them how you should not be delayed like this, it is your right as a citizen to move to and fro at will, unhindered! Most stations have consumer advocate investigators, they will be happy to do battle for you. Be persistent and consistent, if you keep at it you will most certainly get the attention you deserve, and your problems addressed. You also should be calling your local and state politicians, constantly and consistently. They, and the cops work for you! Make sure you impress that upon them! Shucks, you might even find yourself on TV! now we shall see if you are a man or a mouse! A mouse will continue to get on places such as this forum and squeek/whine, a man will do something, as I suggested, about it! Stop being a keyboard warrior! Go get 'em!

OH MY Lou!!!!Evil SmileClap
Did you read Mrs. Circleback's playbook, I think you should get Whitehouse Press award for this!! 

TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:17am
I think he's just trying to keep him busy.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 1:08pm
Who knows how persistent Free will be, but such did work here 30 years ago. But in this case it was a state highway blocked. Wink Not much of a highway as there are switchbacks a semi cannot get around. But a good number of new to the country city folks had moved to the brush out there to be stats Cry when the brush burns next time . So with persistent protest the old Southerner Pacific RR built another siding.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:23pm
Chugga chugga chugga chugga, brew brew!   Mr Blobby aint gonna call the cops, least not when HE's drivin!Beer
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:50pm
I'd love to hear that call," hello?hello police department?? Hey I'm stuck waiting on this train that's been blocking the road for four and a half tall ones,, that means I only have seven and a half left to get home on"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Got stuck on a beer run again? 
NOPE, trying to get to my granddaughters' birthday gathering JACK HOLE AngryAngry !!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 7:27pm

You could not be MORE incorrect in your reply Lewie ClapClap !! Even the city of Elkhart can't make them stop blocking crossings on major Thorofare's AFTER $$ fines assessed on a per/minute blockage fine    
D19allisowner View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 7:47pm

Next time you see a train a cummin, stand on the tracks.
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by D19allisowner D19allisowner wrote:

Next time you see a train a cummin, stand on the tracks.

Did I hear a request?Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 8:03pm

You could not be MORE incorrect in your reply Lewie ClapClap !! Even the city of Elkhart can't make them stop blocking crossings on major Thorofare's AFTER $$ fines assessed on a per/minute blockage fine    

Sooooo, all bark and no bite? brahahaha
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 8:20pm

To quote your hero, "Common man, you just ain't trying hard enough"! The squeaky wheel gets the grease! you get off the keyboard and on the phone! you tell those cops that train is robbing you of your Constitutional right to travel to and fro unhindered! Don't let them put you off, just keep calling them back! I guarantee you will eventually get action! 
Wait for the Lord;
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 7:15am
If you're within 50ft of the center of any major railroad track in the US, you're on a railroad right-of-way... effectively private property.

An individual who is on the tracks, when a train comes through, is legally defined as a 'trespasser'.

Since they own the rails, they can pass through any length of train they feel necessary for their operation.

Railroads don't make money when trains are STOPPED, so they strive to keep moving.  Sometimes, they cannot, and in those cases, they do their best to keep the public happy, but it is simply not always possible.

Regardless of what law or ordinance may be on the books, the laws of physics always prevail over the laws of man.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 10:55am
In the old days, the train crews would break the train to clear the crossing.   
Censored
It really SUCKS when they block the crossing for hours or day.  
Really REALLY SUCKS when they stop on the crossing and I have to back track half a mile, drive two more miles to the busy state highway or the extremely busy blacktop road and then back to the other side of the track with a tractor and equipment.  
These are double tracks too.
Angry

Edited by Clay - 05 May 2022 at 10:57am
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

In the old days, the train crews would break the train to clear the crossing.   
Censored
It really SUCKS when they block the crossing for hours or day.  
Really REALLY SUCKS when they stop on the crossing and I have to back track half a mile, drive two more miles to the busy state highway or the extremely busy blacktop road and then back to the other side of the track with a tractor and equipment.  
These are double tracks too.
Angry

Thank you for a REAL WORLD/COMMON SENSE practice that the RR's should be doing in this era of 200+ cars on the rails today, even a few guys that retired recently and still are in contact with current "train builders" and shake their heads at the length's that these trains are getting Confused .
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2022 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Gosh, why not do the internet search while waiting for the train, you have a smart phone right?
I had to wait on a train also today, but I was smiling ear to ear, thankful all those containers were not on the roadways.
This train was all tankers and hopper bottoms, LOT'S OF THEM Confused
The cell reception is "iffy" at best in this crossing area
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 11:26am
It would be great, if the railroads would limit the length of the trains to the capacity of the siding available for a particular track.  
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 11:51am
Birthdays go better with boose.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2022 at 8:54pm
trains around here are between 1 and 1-1/2 niles long, always have an engine in the middle and at the end.
lederasd View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lederasd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2022 at 3:54pm
It all depends on the train and on the guy who’s in charge of the whole system.  Some crews will just make everyone wait, and no one knows the reason why. I don’t know why this happens – maybe because someone does not know how to do their job alright. The last time I had to wait for 30 minutes for the train, I could tell that it was not ok. I know that many trains come late, but this should not be normalized – why have a schedule then? The trains in Europe come late too. When I was traveling there, I used dbauskunft.com. They have got some pretty cheap tickets, but the waiting time is long too.

Edited by lederasd - 16 Jun 2022 at 10:25am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 1:27am

It would be great, if the railroads would limit the length of the trains to the capacity of the siding available for a particular track.  

That's exactly what they do, because the HAVE to.  They also have to limit length based on track signalling and block protection, location of accordant rail impedance bonds.

They also have to limit the length of trains to accomodate the locomotives' tractive effort limitations both speeding up, and stopping... and also the locomotive's ability to pull the train consist around curves... against substantially higher rolling friction (dragging wheel flanges)
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 7:19am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

That's exactly what they do, because the HAVE to.  They also have to limit length based on track signalling and block protection, location of accordant rail impedance bonds.

They also have to limit the length of trains to accomodate the locomotives' tractive effort limitations both speeding up, and stopping... and also the locomotive's ability to pull the train consist around curves... against substantially higher rolling friction (dragging wheel flanges)

Too bad the BNSF does not abide by the rules.  Quite often, they block the intersection on 72nd road south of Udall, Ks. for hours or even days!!!.  
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 1:59pm
talking to a local RR worker, he says they are now doing 3 miles long trains, putting engines in line, saves them on fuel, and upkeep on engines among other things! UP has about a 1000 or more engines sitting idle in many yards. they are also making new cars with alot of aluminum in them making them lighter thus making longer trains. lots of times we see multipile engines go thru our town all hooked together going west. it's usually meaning they need more engines out west to pull loaded cars east! sometimes when they are all hooked together like that, it is called a funeral train. those engines are headed for a place they will be parked for a long time! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic